cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU doesn’t fit

vampireor
Level 7
Hello & Welcome 🌚❤️

Im running into a small issue and need some advice , and whats better than to come here ,, so first of all lets take a look at my specs that i already have under my desk*

*CPU: i3-7100 3.9 GHz
*Ram: Random 8Gb stick ram
*CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 LED Turbo (Red) 66.3
*PSU: Delco 600W (Total Max)
*GPU: GTX Msi 960 2Gb
*Motherboard: Asus Prime H270
*Fans: Corsair HD120 RGB ( Three Fans )
*Case: Thermal Take core P3*

So here’s the thing , I’m upgrading to ( Sapphire vega 56 pulse 8Gb ) and that GPU requires a big case and my case is big enought but the middle fan of the three corsair fans is blocking it ( im not sure if only 1 of them is blocking there might be the last one also blocking not quite sure ) so i thought , instead of buying the ( CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ) case , i save those extra bucks and upgrade my CPU since there is the Ryzen comptex thingy coming and my CPU is not good with that GPU , or i upgrade my rams to 2*8 instead of this crappy ram , or i buy my self a semi modular PSU better than this one?, or i upgrade my motherboard , Soo can anyone manage to know if i remove the middle fan would the GPU fit ( if i can even remove it and its not attached to each others ),, or shall i get a new case ? ,, and what shall i upgrade instead of the case and can u tell me which part and whats the new part?*
A picture is attached so u can know what im saying about the fans 🙂 . M

I'm from the UAE , Speceficly Abu Dhabi ,, you can use a website called " NewEgg" I have kinda flexible budget , and the build is for gaming mainly
Thanks! 🙏🏻*

Best regards!
~Omar*
33 REPLIES 33

vampireor
Level 7
~ Edit , me not buying a new case is temporary and if i should remove the 2 fans and it wont cause harm to the PC i can do it , since its just temporarily.

I'm curious... is there a radiator under the fans? Or are they just mounted direct to the back of the case?
It looks like you're using entirely air cooling, though I can't be sure... is there any liquid cooling there?

I ask because that case is technically built for liquid cooling, and is wide open. So if you're not doing any liquid cooling at all, and they're not pushing or pulling air through a radiator, then those 3 fans are entirely useless. They don't actually cool anything. So you could take all 3 off and likely wouldn't notice a thing.

But then, perhaps there's something there I'm not seeing.

Thank you for the quick and detailed response!

Well the fans are directly mounted to the case , so heres the plan if i can remove the middle fan i remove it and if not i just disconnect all of them, i wont face any issues ? Like would the GPU fit?

vampireor wrote:
Thank you for the quick and detailed response!

Well the fans are directly mounted to the case , so heres the plan if i can remove the middle fan i remove it and if not i just disconnect all of them, i wont face any issues ? Like would the GPU fit?

If you're not using any liquid cooling then yes, you won't have any issues if you simply disconnect and remove one or all 3 fans.
Personally, for aesthetics, I would remove all 3 if you're going to remove 1.

What you have here is an open-air backing board with a glass shield held well away from any equipment components. Your airflow is coming from the ambient room because your components aren't stuck inside a closed box. Because it's open air, you have little to no need for augmented and directed airflow over components - unless of course you have no air conditioning and your ambient room temperatures are high, but that's a different conversation.

For those fans to be doing anything to cool your components, they would have to be either facing down towards your motherboard (so mounted where the glass is currently) or facing the motherboard from the top bottom or side and blowing across the motherboard - and that's not possible because you have no top, bottom or sides. The way airflow works, what little splash-back onto the board there might be from the fans blowing air against the glass is not going to have any real effect on your temperatures.

In a case like that, the only reason to have any fans mounted in the orientation you have, is because they would be attached to a liquid cooling loop on either your CPU, GPU or both. Then they would be useful because they would be drawing air over the fins of a radiator to cool the water in the system as it carries heat away from your components.

As to whether or not your new GPU will fit once you remove the fans?
Well, I can't say for certain but I can't see why it wouldn't. Especially if you remove all of them. You clearly have the PCI slots available, and the height clearance to the glass. The concern with the fans indicates concern because of length of the card. Removing the fans should fix that and since you don't have to worry about hitting the front of a case I would imagine the card could be 3 feet long and it would still fit as long as nothing got in the way.

Probably a better question is are you sure that card is compatible with your CPU and motherboard chipset. I can't speak to that as I'm more of an Intel and nVidia person. Haven't used non-nVidia cards for more than 10 years so I just don't keep up with them. But a quick spec check looks like they are compatible and I'm sure you already checked that.

Another thought is card sag. I don't know the card you're getting but if it's so long that it would interfere with the fans on that case, consider it may be a bit heavy and think about getting a prop for it or figuring out another solution in case it sags. Here is one of my more favorite solutions for sag though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOXYE3hx_JY

Edit to add: You know, If you're looking to spend a little more money and not you're not getting a new case, I'd spend it on a better PSU. That's just me tho.

Well , I’ve checked compatibility between the CPU and GPU ( from pcpartpicker ) but i guess i would have a bottleneck issue ?
Since the GPU is a beast but the CPU is i3.
So what would you do if u were me , what shall i do/buy*

GPU :- ( Sapphire vega 56 pulse)
CPY :- ( I3-7100 )*

vampireor wrote:
Well , I’ve checked compatibility between the CPU and GPU ( from pcpartpicker ) but i guess i would have a bottleneck issue ?

That's actually a tough question... My gut reaction is always GPU first because games will use that more and yeah, the GTX 900 series is starting to show some age... but they are certainly still viable and when I looked at the specs for that i3.... Id' want to upgrade that solely based on the supported RAM. eek.

Have you looked at the i5 9400F? It's on sale right now and is a really good processor. Best price is on NewEgg
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117981&Description=9400f&cm_re=9400f-_-19-...

Here's a review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uOJJLqVWR8&t=839s

Keep in mind this is entirely subjective opinion. Others may have different opinions. Read the specs and look for other reviews and opinions before making a decision.

Definitely double check compatibility.
I mean, it's a small step up but that step wouldn't cost you a whole lot more and you might just be able to do both with a bit of planning.

I'm willing to bet there are other deals out there on CPUs too, if you're really looking at upgrading that.

All this said, your bottleneck through the CPU is more your RAM support when gaming because games will use your GPU far more. Usually, upgrade the GPU first and then the CPU later. Just... because it's an i3, and an older one, it is definitely worth either looking at doing the CPU now or very soon.

If it were me... well, I would try to find a way to do them both at once. I'd probably get the GPU and look for a really good deal on a CPU and then save hard for it, or see if I could find a way to eek out a bit more money if there were currently a good deal. If I can't I would buy the item with the best price deal first (assuming a short term sale) and wait a little longer saving for the more expensive thing while looking for a sale on that.

Yeah, not so great at advice in this area, sorry. LOL I'm in a place in my life now where I am able to plan and save hard for something I want and then flat out buy it. My new rig, I saved up for a year. Still went over budget but I was able to absorb it. The ability to do this now shapes my choices and thought processes, and I know not everyone is in a position to do this. Also, my ADHD makes it hard for me to make concrete decisions, so I have a tendency to sit and research and think about a thing, looking for deals and saving and then when something juicy hits I jump on it almost impulsively - that's when the final decision happens. Probably not the best way to do things and I wouldn't recommend it. LOL

vampireor wrote:

***EDIT: There will be a bottleneck with the Vega 56,yes.

What do you want to do with your PC? And how much money do you have to spend? Details, man. Details.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

Well look , I’m still 16 and in my country u can’t have a job at this age ( Dubai Laws ) , and so i take money from my parents like weekly about 70$+ , and whenever i ask for money i get , so the budget is flexible, i aint gonna buy a cheap cpu then have to upgrade it later , i will have some suffring with this CPU at the begging but I’ll end it with a beast , so this rig is ment for gaming , and who knows i might open a youtube channel , so a bit of rendering you know ,, I’m willing to pay any amount,, shall i wait for computex or buy a CPU from Ryzen now or what shall i do and what shall i buy

vampireor wrote:
Well look , I’m still 16 and in my country u can’t have a job at this age ( Dubai Laws ) , and so i take money from my parents like weekly about 70$+ , and whenever i ask for money i get , so the budget is flexible, i aint gonna buy a cheap cpu then have to upgrade it later , i will have some suffring with this CPU at the begging but I’ll end it with a beast , so this rig is ment for gaming , and who knows i might open a youtube channel , so a bit of rendering you know ,, I’m willing to pay any amount,, shall i wait for computex or buy a CPU from Ryzen now or what shall i do and what shall i buy

16, huh? Well, I have plenty of advice for you.

If money is no object then wait for Computex, or whatever, let AMD announce their new Zen 2 lineup and choose from that for the best all-around CPU experience. If money is an object/obstacle (this goddamn language) then wait for Computex, or whatever, let AMD announce their new Zen 2 lineup and choose from the previous Zen generation for the best all-around CPU experience at a lower price point.

Don't get married.

Snails make great pets.

Never super size your fast food. It takes longer and makes your pants shrink faster.

Don't eat concrete. Have ice cream, instead.

Anything else you want to know, just ask.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.