cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pci-e running at x8 instead of x16

MaLLoc
Level 8
while going over settings I noticed the GPU seems to have started running at "native x8 link speed." It used to always run PCI-E 3.0 @ x16, but now BIOS, GPU-Z shows that it is running PCI-E 3.0 @ x8. and telling me that the cards can run at X16 but are running at X8 , Clearing CMOS, reseating vid card didn't help and I tried another video card too. PC is only a 2 month old and I had all kinds of video card problems already. and now I can't get this to change back to X16.
the GPU is in the top PCIe x16/x8_1. There's nothing in PCIe_x8_2

Thermaltake riser cable was being used for Verticle mounting and was running at X16 just fine when i set the computer up, however, I changed The card back just to test - the card is now mounted straight into top PCI-E x16 slot with 1x8pin cables coming out of it now with no difference in the result, still stuck at X8
3 REPLIES 3

MaLLoc
Level 8
NM finally figured it out , when i enabled the Hyper M.2 in BIOS it was cutting the X16 to X8 on the pcie slot

MaLLoc wrote:
NM finally figured it out , when i enabled the Hyper M.2 in BIOS it was cutting the X16 to X8 on the pcie slot

Hello buddy, what was your solution to get the card running at X16 kindly?
RIVE vi x299 + I9 79200K @ 4.3 || GTX 1080TI || EVGA 1300W G2 || 32GB Corsair Platinum 3200mhz || Samsung 960 EVO M.2 PCIE SSD || ...and a cuddly toy! :cool:

audime wrote:
Hello buddy, what was your solution to get the card running at X16 kindly?

You quoted the answer. He had enabled "Hyper M2" in the bios which cut the lanes in half. Disabling that setting fixed it.