cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL-702ZC: small bump on the chassis after removing the back cover

DLz47
Level 7
Hi,
as the title says, today I have removed the back cover of my GL-702ZC to install another 16GB of RAM. To do so, after I unscrewing the 10 screws, I used some plastic tools (to the ones you usually use to separate your smartphone), to remove the cover. Then I installed the RAM, closed the cover and screwed the screws back. When I opened the laptop, there was a small bump nearby the touchpad. A perfectly circular bump that wasn't there before. To remove the cover I closed the laptop, put it upside down (obviously) and placed it on my anti-static modmat. I payed extreme attention during the proces and never used too much strength / pressure. Still, I have this bump now (see the photo). Is this some kind of "ASUS protection" to let know technician that I have opened the laptop or something?

[img" TARGET="_blank">https://i.ibb.co/wBnX3zd/20190412-135255.jpg[/img]"]

Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi,

Haven't checked this model very carefully, but guessing the screws for the bottom cover are not all of the same length.
It appears one of the longer screws may have been mixed up with a shorter screw, so that when you fully screwed it in, it pushed up the palmrest and created the bump in the picture you provided.

Normally when disassembling units, you want to take note of any screws that are of different lengths and also take note of where each screw was located to avoid damaging the case or other parts.

DLz47
Level 7
Hi,
Yes, I have noticed that the screws have different lenghts when I opened the laptop: to be more precise 8 out of the 10 screws are long and 2 are short, but the short ones are at the very back of the laptop (where the heat sink is), so I didn't mixed screws and even if would have, the bump should have been on the back and not on the front and I even didn't forced the screws when I screw them back: I stopped when the screws have stopped to move (infact, when I tried to unscrew them, they immediately began to move). Also, do they not know the concept of screw limit?! If your device need long screws that, when screwing, do not have to screw indefinitely, by design you must use screw's limit. If they need an engineer to explain this concept to them, I'll apply for a job!

I can't even RMA'd it because I use it for my job everyday and I don't have any other powerful laptop! If this bump can degenerate and become a problem I should do it though.
I'm very disappointed!

TimeLion724
Level 8
Yeah, that bump looks like a manufacturing problem, RMA is probably the best option you have, at least you can get a brand new chassis out of it.
" The speed of the fallen one does not change..."

GUIDE TO FIXING BSOD ERRORS

TimeLion724 wrote:
Yeah, that bump looks like a manufacturing problem, RMA is probably the best option you have, at least you can get a brand new chassis out of it.

Since I use the notebook everyday to work, RMA will be a problem. Do you think this bump will degenerate and be a problem? (Bump->it breacks->hole), I think it might...

Thanks

TimeLion724
Level 8
It shouldn't be since you actually use your laptop every day, but if you a perfectionist and like everything to mint, then It might be a problem.
" The speed of the fallen one does not change..."

GUIDE TO FIXING BSOD ERRORS

DLz47
Level 7
Well, thanks for the answers. I will talk to ASUS customer care and see if is possible to have a really fast RMA, otherwise I won't be able to RMA it even if I would.

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
You used the wrong screw for that particular spot. They're not gonna fix it for free.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
You used the wrong screw for that particular spot. They're not gonna fix it for free.

Read what I wrote above, I didn't not used the wrong screw.

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
There's no way that's not caused by a screw. I used to make a living fixing laptops, I know what it looks like. The plastic is bulging from the inside and you can see the small cracks forming. I little more and it would have poked through.
That, or you assembled it in the wrong order or missed something in the process, making the screw go further in than it should. You don't need to apply any force for this to happen, as a matter of fact, it will take less effort to do this than to actually tight the screw.

You can RMA it, but I really doubt they're gonna fix it for free.