cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RGB header on strix gfx cards help...

Mordaur
Level 7
Does the rgb header on the ROG-STRIX-RXVEGA56 (or any other strix card) need enabling? or should it be a passthrough for whatever colour you set the lighting on the gfx card itself?
I tried connecting an earocool 4pin rgb fan, but it doesnt light up at all.

I was thinking of using a (powered) 4pin rgb hub, and drive my 4pin rgb fans from the strix card (using aura), as my motherboard does not have rgb headers.
but it does not seem to output anything..
8 REPLIES 8

1mluer
Level 11
I went to look at that fan and it looks like it should come with a RGB controller with the fans. Not sure the exact model but Aerocool you are using but they look like they have a controller you should of got with the purchase or you have to purchase the hub too. It looks very similar to the Corsair setup.. 4pin fan power and 4 pin RGB cables that need to be connect to some sort of hub.

I will look at the other models and if I find something else I will reply
InWin 909 Silver RGB build
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti
Gskill Trident Royal 4400 16g

Everything overclocked and love it.
ROG Awesomeness !!!!

They do come with a hub, but then i'dd lose a usb header om my motherboard, and yet another rgb software to run.

I was planning on just running the aura soft, and sync the fans to the asus card.

The aerocools are standard 12v, 4 ping rgb fans.
They can be synced with their own hub, or just a std rgb header.

https://www.aerocool.com.tw/au/project7/cooling-p7/p7-f12

I already have a xspc 8way 4pin rgb splitter hub,
But i cant seem to get the vega card to output anything..
It wont even light up 1 fan, connected straight to the vega's 4 pin rgb header.

I can't find any decent info on the rgb header on these strix cards... all reviews mention them, but i haven't seen anyone actually test/use them, or clearify how it works..

*edit* just connected the 4-pin rgb strip from my strix vega EK waterblock, to the vega's rgb header, and same result, no light at all...
how does one use/sync the rgb header on these gfx cards?

1mluer
Level 11
Ok since it's a 12v header did you line up the pins correctly ?

check out my post on RGB 5v vs 12v and see if that helps. Other then that I am not sure about using the header on the Strix GPU. I don't have one.. Can you try the header on your asus motherboard directly ?

check this link for reference:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?110272-What-do-5v-and-12v-RGB-cables-look-like-you-ask

Thanks hope this helps
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

I don't have an asus motherboard, nor do i have a rgb ready motherboard. That't the whole reason i wanted to use the rgb header on the strix gfx card, as a base to sync all my rgb case fans to (with a powered rgb hub) with the use of aura sync.

I do know the difference between 5v adressable rgb headers and 12v (4 pin) rgb.

I did make sure to lign up the 12v pin, but no dice...

I was under the impression that to rgb header on the gfx card would just passthrough any rgb setting i set on the card itself, but apperantly, its not putting out anything..

Mordaur wrote:
I don't have an asus motherboard, nor do i have a rgb ready motherboard. That't the whole reason i wanted to use the rgb header on the strix gfx card, as a base to sync all my rgb case fans to (with a powered rgb hub) with the use of aura sync.

I do know the difference between 5v adressable rgb headers and 12v (4 pin) rgb.

I did make sure to lign up the 12v pin, but no dice...

I was under the impression that to rgb header on the gfx card would just passthrough any rgb setting i set on the card itself, but apperantly, its not putting out anything..

I hear ya now.. I am not sure RGB would even be invoked without the aura software ? hmmm I wish I knew more about the Strix feature there. I assume the card lights up by itself with the hardware profile lighting but that might not actually be passed through or turned on unless there is a something in the driver for the card. I might have to punt on this one.

Sorry to take up your time. I didn't know the whole story here. Maybe someone can tell us how that RGB output is controlled. I have a feeling you need asus MB and aura sync drivers..
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

No problem, atleast you tried to help, for which i am verry gratefull.

I have aura installed (tried both the full and the gfx card only version), and i can control the rgb effects on the gfx card itself, but there does not seem to be an option to control the rgb header on the gfx card. I thought it would just be a passthrough for whatever pattern i set the card to, but it apears, it is not, and the aura software doesn't register any additional rgb header eighter...

So if someone could clearify the use and function of the header on these strix gfx cards...

I thought i could just set the card to a certain effect (lets say green colour, breathing), and anything i connected to the header, would follow the same pattern. That way i could sync up all my fans with aura.. but alas.. the header does nothing at all..

well, today i sorta solved it. it's working as I intended it to be.

I took my multi-meter to it, and noticed the gfx card did not output 12v on the rgb header. so either my card is faulty, or something else is at play here.
But as I intended to use the XSPC powered 8-way RGB hub anyway, I connected it up, and the fans synced right up with the gfx card. (pulling 12v from the sata connecor, and the header on the gfx card controlling the rgb.)

I might have a look at the pcb to see what's going on with the 12v, when i install my waterblock, but for now, i'm a happy camper. 😄

1mluer
Level 11
Nice gratzz
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!