cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Turns Itself On?

btrach144
Level 7
Hello, my Maximus XI Extreme has been turning itself on lately. I will normally select shut down in Windows 10 and the computer will successfully shut down. I then turn off my monitor and walk away.

Lately when I come back to my computer, it's turned on and at the WIndows 10 login screen. Any idea why this might be going on?
7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Check it's actually shutting down and not hibernating...windows fast startup

Check Wake on LAN settings or whatever it's called

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Check it's actually shutting down and not hibernating...windows fast startup

Check Wake on LAN settings or whatever it's called

follow this!
maybe u turn on something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG6sCC4afRI

btrach144
Level 7
Thank you both for the responses. I verified that Power On by PCI was already disabled in the BIOS. Fast boot was enabled in the BIOS so I disabled it.

In Windows 10, I right clicked my 5g, intel lan, and WiFi adapters. Only 1 had wake on LAN enabled so I turned that off. I also turned hibernation off by running the cmd prompt that Microsoft document claimed would work.

Problem seems to occur at least once a day so give me 24-48 hours to report back if these changes worked.*

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Fast boot in BIOS is not fast startup in windows by the way

btrach144
Level 7
Good point. I just turned off fast startup in Windows as well.

chevell65
Level 12
Turning off Windows fast start up will fix this issue. Fast start up is really another type of sleep mode, not a true shut down with this enabled, something was telling it to wake up after the last Windows update. Many people with this same issue although it may be fixed with a more recent Windows update.

btrach144
Level 7
Looks like it was one of the above suggestions. Computer remained off when told to do so all weekend. Time to narrow down what setting it exactly was.

Thank you to everyone for the help!*