cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG348Q color/calibration issue.

Zeroed85
Level 8
I have a brand new replacement PG348Q monitor with a manufacturer date of November 2018, so quite recent and I am having some difficulty with the screen calibration or the screen itself.

On my previous PG348Q I would set Red 97, Green 99, Blue 100, contrast 50 and brightness 27. That was comfortable and I din't need to touch that again. The new monitor seems to have higher green levels and a stronger back light. The real issue is that no matter where I set the brightness the screen is straining my eyes. White's and gray's appear blotchy and none of the color controls seem to correct the issue.

I am just wondering if somebody from Asus can tell me whether they are aware of any issues similar to what I have described with the screen panels being used in the latest manufacturing batch of PG348Q's or whether I might have a panel issue, perhaps with the back light or something like that. Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
For a response from ASUS please contact customer support. The Service Inquiries section is only to resolve an existing RMA per the sticky rules. Thank you.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
For a response from ASUS please contact customer support. The Service Inquiries section is only to resolve an existing RMA per the sticky rules. Thank you.

I'm sorry but I do have an existing RMA and that thread is here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?108881-Asus-PG348Q-RMA-repair

I should have stuck to the existing thread.

Zeroed85 wrote:
I'm sorry but I do have an existing RMA and that thread is here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?108881-Asus-PG348Q-RMA-repair

I should have stuck to the existing thread.

Yes I've followed your support thread and I did notice you posted there. However this is asking about calibration, not an RMA. That section's focus is pretty narrow, just trying to get satisfactory resolution on RMAs that are stuck or suck. ASUS only has a couple of people that post in that section in addition to their primary job so they can't offer the same level of support as the official support channels. For general technical questions you should still phone up tech support or post it as a public discussion. You're more likely to get an answer that way.

Specifically on this issue I'm hoping by having your thread here that another PG348Q owner will be able to confirm (anecdotally) whether they are seeing something similar.

My .02 as someone who doesn't own your monitor would be that uneven backlight is unlikely to be resolved in software. It could be a panel bonding issue or it could be a problem with the circuitry driving local dimming on displays that implement it. Either way that's a hardware flaw. Just as a sanity check I would try another input type as HDMI and DP can behave differently. If you see the same picture issues you may want to RMA again. I know it's a PITA but if it's bothering you it's better to address it than let it drive you nuts.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Yes I've followed your support thread and I did notice you posted there. However this is asking about calibration, not an RMA. That section's focus is pretty narrow, just trying to get satisfactory resolution on RMAs that are stuck or suck. ASUS only has a couple of people that post in that section in addition to their primary job so they can't offer the same level of support as the official support channels. For general technical questions you should still phone up tech support or post it as a public discussion. You're more likely to get an answer that way.

Specifically on this issue I'm hoping by having your thread here that another PG348Q owner will be able to confirm (anecdotally) whether they are seeing something similar.

My .02 as someone who doesn't own your monitor would be that uneven backlight is unlikely to be resolved in software. It could be a panel bonding issue or it could be a problem with the circuitry driving local dimming on displays that implement it. Either way that's a hardware flaw. Just as a sanity check I would try another input type as HDMI and DP can behave differently. If you see the same picture issues you may want to RMA again. I know it's a PITA but if it's bothering you it's better to address it than let it drive you nuts.

I thought the issue might have been calibration related but due to adjustments not making any difference I think it may be more of a hardware issue. What you describe with the back light I think might be more probable. Whites and grays (particular in the browser) appear like they're moving which might be a back light inconsistency. Fonts sometimes appear blurry. It is still very possible that I have some problems with my eyes but I would imagine after three weeks that should resolve. I hope that I don't have to RMA again but we'll see how this goes for another week.

xeromist
Another thing to note is that backlights are PWM rather than linear so at certain lower pulse frequencies it might appear...weird. You can try adding more ambient light to the environment and increasing the brightness. Maybe not a permanent solution but it might provide you more information on the nature of the problem you're seeing.