cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2950X / Zenith Extreme / 64GB Ram CMW64GX4M4C3200C16 - Not waking from Sleep!!

weaponofchoice
Level 7
So I've built a new Cinema 4D / Redshift workstation and all went smoothly but my only issue is I can't get the PC to wake from sleep state in Windows 10 update 1809.

When I try wake it from sleep all the fans spin up full throttle and the zenith's OLED display says CPU Temp 50c. The screen won't turn on. The PC seems to just sit there in this state with the Temp not changing. Sometimes the PC will reboot but othertimes it just stays as is.

The RAM I use is the Corsair Vengance CMW64GX4M4C3200C16 and its set to 2933Mhz in BIOS. Its a 3200MHz kit by default. When first installed the BIOS sets it as 2666MHz by default.

I don't think this is a RAM issue or a water cooler issue (H115i) as when running normall it perfectly cools the Threadripper 2950x even under heavy use.

I've gone through all online videos and recommendations for turning off sleep in power managment and turn on Hibernate options, turn off fast boot in BIOS etc but nothing seems to resove it.

Windows is on the latest update 1809 so I'm not sure what else to do??

Anyone else experience this or got a fix? I'm coming from a Mac work envoirnment so never had as much tweaking to do to get a machine to behave normally. I did build the exact same machine in work but the only differance being the RAM was a slightly older spec of the above set. same spec and speed.
5 REPLIES 5

weaponofchoice
Level 7
So I did a little further investigation. I retrieved a report from the system event log at the time I last put my machine to sleep and it stalled and rebooted on wake.

This is the error recorded.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000a0 (0x0000000000000608, 0xffffdd84bc4f8018, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000).

I then googled this error and 0x000000a0 seems to refer to the following

The INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x000000A0. This bug check indicates that the power policy manager experienced a fatal error.

See documentation below.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0xa0--internal-power-er...

Any wizards out suggest a way to trouble shoot this?

Cory29
Level 7
I have had this since the release of ZE .. I just disabled sleep .. reported a few times with no response ... good luck

Did you have any luck with Hibernate mode?

I saw this on a thread somewhere suggesting its a better solution if sleep mode doesn't work but this also crashes the machine on wake. Technically this shuts the machine down but preserves the programs and windows in memory so that when its booted up again its as if it were just alseep.

This is very frustrating as I can't have my machine running 24/7 as it uses so much power. I render on the machine remotely on occasion so need it ready to wake up on demand. Although you can boot a machine up remotely its not all that easy to configure the wake on WLAN feature. Been trying wiht no luck as yet. I'll just have to shut the machine down when not using it.

I'm determined to get to the bottom of this so might share the Memory Dump file Microsoft and see if they can diagnose the issue. I'm hoping its not bad RAM.

Cory29
Level 7
no I had to turn that off too i think the uefi has a bad api call or something -- I just have the sleep mode turn off the screen and I leave the harddrives on -- its not a solution but it fit my needs -- I also noticed that sometimes if it was under 5 min I could wake the computer .. but after 10 min I had to do a full reboot

Sometimes when I think about the cost of this board and how many little annoying issues it has I wonder why I don't throw it in the street

For the benifit of anyone with a similar issue here is Asus's suggestion to try. I'll be doing this tonight.

In this case I recommend you make a CMOS reset of the BIOS by taking out the CMOS battery for 3-5 minutes while the PSU is unplugged. While the power cord from the PSU is still unplugged, press the power button down for 30 seconds to power discharge the unit. Then place the CMOS battery back in, plug in the PSU and try again.

After this go into the BIOS > Advanced Menu > APM Configuration, from here set the ERP Ready to Enabled S4 + S5 or Enabled S5 and set the Restore AC Power Loss to Last State and test the motherboard again.