cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much Custom OC effects in Gaming

DarkShadow
Level 7
Currently i m running Asus ROG Maximus X Hero & Intel Core i7 8700K with 32 GB of 3200 ghz Ram
With XMP CPU Clock speed 4.7 ghz & 3200 ghz of Ram done well
But sometime i did some custom OC like 5.1 ghz CPU Clock & 3400 ghz Ram
I do gaming & watch 3D/4K Movies but no other heavy uses of my PC
My question is should I always go with custom OC or just XMP OC is enough !! What will be the difference in gaming !!
Need some of the Experts suggestions.

My PC Spec:

Asus ROG Maximus X Hero
Intel Core i7 8700K
Asus GTX 1080 Turbo
G. Skill Trident Z RGB 3200 mhz 8X4 = 32 GB
Asus ROG Ryujin 360 Liquid AIO Cooler
Asus ROG Thor 850W PSU
WD HDD Purple 3TB + Intel Optain memory module 32GB
WD HDD Blue 1TB
Tharmaltake Viwe 71 RGB TG Heavy Airflow Case
Asus VG248Q 144 hz 3D Monitor
Asus ROG Claymore RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Nvidia 3D Vision Kit 2
5 REPLIES 5

HisEvilness
Level 7
Gains in OC are for the most part FPS what is what you want with a 144hz display, 1080p a CPu overclock will get more gains, on 4k there is no different since the GPU will always be the bottleneck. In my case 1440p with a 8086k and 1080ti i get the most gains from overclocking both components and will adjust graphics settings to atleast run over 100 FPS without sacrifiying to much graphical fidelity. Overclocking is great to get more out of your system a simple XMP profile will get you some milage but not alot. But inportant to note that don't over do overclocks as it may harm your system if temps are to high on any component.

I did a comparison not that long ago :

Retired
Not applicable
Well, I guess it's a matter to everyone's own preference. I overclocked my random access memory using D.O.C.P only. Everything else is left on default settings 🙂 I'm actually glad I could achieve this through the new BIOS from Asus 🙂 I do have 2 GTX 1080Ti's in SLI so everything is running super smoothly. No stuttering or flickering on the TV. Personally, I'm not fond of overclocking the processor to any means. I never saw any gains to it. Maybe I'm just old-skool 😛
I game on 4K @ 60Hz however I do wonder how much of a difference it would be on a 144Hz monitor? I have to wait for that to happen though.

Gpu overclock will help with games. If you have a good cpu, you shouldn't have to worry about it. Depends on the game really. Certain games are more cpu heavy. Overclocked cpu is a big gain for 3d rendering and CAD programs

A custom OC is like free performance. So why not. It all comes down to whether you think a custom OC is work or not. On one hand a custom OC can be pretty quick and painless. On the other, it can take a long time if you want to squeeze out every last mhz. Its up to the user to make the determination what amount of OC tweak time is worthwhile.

That said, modern overclocking is EASY. Gone are the days of breaking out the soldering gun, cutting bridges on chips, using GFDs, or liquid metal to create substrate bridges. Now its just about having a decent CPU cooler and making a few BIOS changes. For just a few minutes time you can find performance gains that might net you some decent FPS. Add to that a little GPU overlock, and it can definitely make a difference. Especially when a machine is on the bubble struggling to run a new demanding title.