cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog strix z390-h black screen on post with Linux Mint.

acdc_forever77
Level 7
Hey guys,

New here but not new yo Asus motherboards. I have the strangest issue that I can't for the life of me figure out.

OK, so I have Windows 10 setup working perfectly fine however I decided to dual boot with Linux Mint. Secure boot iss et to other OS. However after installing Linux Mint and setting up everything whenever I turn my PC on or reboot it via Linux Mint I get nothing but a black screen on post forcing me to use my flash drive for bios recovery.

Any ideas? This is very irritating.

I9 9900k
Windows 10 Pro/Linux Mint
16gb Corsair Vengeance

Like I said this issue is nonexistent with Win10 by itself with no other oses present.
5 REPLIES 5

acdc_forever77
Level 7
90 views and no replies? If you guys need more details please let me know as this is extremely irritating.

Do you mean that Linux bootloader alters UEFI image on a SPI flash device of your mobo?
Sounds unrealistic.

acdc_forever77 wrote:
90 views and no replies? If you guys need more details please let me know as this is extremely irritating.

Check this link...see if is helpful for you.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/162075/my-computer-boots-to-a-black-screen-what-options-do-i-have-to...
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Phillyflyer wrote:
Check this link...see if is helpful for you.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/162075/my-computer-boots-to-a-black-screen-what-options-do-i-have-to...

He says, that BIOS/UEFI gets corrupted, so he reflashes it. Sounds unrealistic and wishful for me of UEFI editing.

vitalik.t wrote:
He says, that BIOS/UEFI gets corrupted, so he reflashes it. Sounds unrealistic and wishful for me of UEFI editing.

I take back needing to use a flash drive with a bios backup. It actually comes back to life after flipping the switch on my psu then back on then power on.

Is there anyone here that uses Linux Mint 19.1 on this same mobo? It's just so strange it only happens when Linux Mint is installed. With Win10 installed by itself it'll post every time like normal.