Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING Memory POST error with 32GB kits

vitalik_t
Level 7
Asus ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING Memory POST error with 32GB kits

I have 3 memory kits:
Kingston HX424C15FB2K2/16 - 2x8 2400MHz on QVL - Works OK(!!!) in dual channel (2 DIMM slots occupied)
Kingston HX434C19FBK2/32 - 2x16 3466MHz on QVL - Works only in DIMM B slot (not in A as single and not both)
Corsair CMK32GX4M2L3200C16 - 2x16 3200MHz non QVL - Works only in DIMM B slot (not in A as single and not both)

MemOK-II makes 4 power cycles, and then freezes - MemOK LED stays orange and Memory error LED stays orange. Left the system on for 1 hour.

I've received a mobo with BIOS-0805. Tried everything, then I've upgraded to BIOS-2401, and then to 2411. Also tried everything. Can't downgrade a BIOS.

All memory kits were checked in other system, and are OK.
I don't want to use "Kingston HX424C15FB2K2/16", because it is slow and low capacity kit.

It looks like that this mobo doesn't work with 32GB kits, but in it's spec it should work even with 64GB kits.
4 REPLIES 4

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hi,

Try tuning the VCCSA and VCCIO rails manually. Work up or down in the range of 1.1 to 1.25v.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Hi,

Try tuning the VCCSA and VCCIO rails manually. Work up or down in the range of 1.1 to 1.25v.

I've tried many variation of VCCSA and VCCIO in range of 0.9-1.25V. I've seen another post with the same mobo and problem.
Also working configuration DIMM A: HX424C15FB2K2/16 8GB stick, DIMM B: HX434C19FBK2/32 16GB stick. 24GB total, overclock to 3200MHz. RAM stability tests are OK. So it looks like that, CPU's memory controller is OK and PCB's DDR traces (mobo's printed conductors) are also OK.

It looks like a BIOS problem. Is there any engineering sample BIOS, where Asus engineers got Kingston HX434C19FBK2/32 working (in dual channel)?

ASUS Service wrote:

Hello XXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Corporate Customer Care. My name is XXXXXX (Supervisor).
We appreciate your patience in waiting on our team to provide us with a response to your POST related issues. We are deeply happy to continue assisting you and apologize for any issues caused.

Our engineers has indicated that if this is the scenario:
(1) Kingston HX424C15FB2K2/16 - 2x8 2400MHz on QVL - Works OK in dual channel (2 DIMM slots occupied)

(2) Kingston HX434C19FBK2/32 - 2x16 3466MHz on QVL - Works only in DIMM B slot (not in A as single and not both)

Usually if a set of memory works, but the other memory kit do not work, therefore the motherboard is working properly. The HX434C19FBK2/32 is not working properly, please set DRAM frequency tp 3466Mhz or set XMP and install both memory otherwise please replace the HX434C19FBK2/32.

We do apologize for the lengthy waiting period and we appreciate your patience during this process. We do value your business and thank you for being a part of the ASUS family.
If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to let us know by making reference to this case number: XXXXXXXX. We will be more than happy to assist you.
Again, I do apologize for any issues.

Best Regards,
ASUS Customer Care

Very robotic response with a selective facts taking into account. As I've written all 3 kits, were checked on other system, but they insist that my hardware is malfunctioned.

A very wise quote: "Do not argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

So I'm not continuing with that ticket. I've returned the mobo to the shop where I've purchased it, and asked:
1) Find a memory kit with 32GB >= 3200MHz. If found, I'll purchase that kit. If not, go to next step.
2) RMA the mobo, and find the required kit.If found, I'll purchase that kit. If not, go to next step.
3) Refund me a full amount of what I've paid. Ask Asus for a compensation.

To be continued...

UPD:
The MB was RMA'ed.
What a miracle, the replaced MB is working with any RAM kits that I own. Probably ASUS technical support blaming everything on Earth, except that maybe their product is malfunctioning, wasn't the right answer.