cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zephyrus S GX531 Thermal Throttling

TEIX
Level 7
Hi,
I have recently just got the Zephyrus S laptop with the I7 8750H and the RTX 2070 Max-q.
It is pretty cold in my room and somehow the laptop is hitting 99 degrees Celsius under just a 15 min load on the CPU. I have tried undervolting and it does nothing, the only thing that seems to work is undervolting and limiting the clocks to 3,3 GHZ but then im loosing FPS in games.
GPU sits at a 80 Degree Celsius max, so the GPU is fine.

What Temps are you guys getting?
28 REPLIES 28

sldallas
Level 7
So interesting I have the same i7 but 2080 Max Q and the right fan has already starting clicking. I got an RMA today and going to send back. Even before the clicking this sucker was HOT. I barely could put in my lap when browsing the web. I used Throttle Stop to help temps but maybe I got a dud not sure. I requested for them to replace the fan and re-paste CPU and GPU. For this expensive of a laptop pretty disappointed.

sldallas wrote:
So interesting I have the same i7 but 2080 Max Q and the right fan has already starting clicking. I got an RMA today and going to send back. Even before the clicking this sucker was HOT. I barely could put in my lap when browsing the web. I used Throttle Stop to help temps but maybe I got a dud not sure. I requested for them to replace the fan and re-paste CPU and GPU. For this expensive of a laptop pretty disappointed.

My left Fan is doing the clicking as well. Ive come from many Alienware laptops, instead of getting the new m15 from Alienware, thought id give Asus a try. Disappointing. I think it was to early to get the new RTX laptops from Asus. With alienware i always changed my thermal paste which made a difference, i got Thermal grizzly and now i see that with Asus you cant change the paste yourself without voiding the warranty. Hows your back light bleed?

Pheebau
Level 7
TEIX wrote:
Hi,
I have recently just got the Zephyrus S laptop with the I7 8750H and the RTX 2070 Max-q.
It is pretty cold in my room and somehow the laptop is hitting 99 degrees Celsius under just a 15 min load on the CPU. I have tried undervolting and it does nothing, the only thing that seems to work is undervolting and limiting the clocks to 3,3 GHZ but then im loosing FPS in games.
GPU sits at a 80 Degree Celsius max, so the GPU is fine.

What Temps are you guys getting?

I have the GX501GI with 1080 Max-Q and same i7 - On high cpu games my cpu temps are 85-90c - I was able to undervolt the i7 to -155.3 rock stable - I also run with the CPU set on overboost - I use headphones most of the time so loud fans don't bother me that much. This forum has posts with different ways of reducing temps for the Zephyrus - some decide to disable Turbo boost but I always refused to do this because it defeats the point of buying such high end and high price of a machine. One thing for sure is that during high cpu usage, do NOT use the balanced mode for the fans - use overboost - it makes a big difference in temps and was throttling less in my case. If you search for some of my posts, you should see how I was able to reduce temps. Hope this helps.

Pheebau wrote:
I have the GX501GI with 1080 Max-Q and same i7 - On high cpu games my cpu temps are 85-90c - I was able to undervolt the i7 to -155.3 rock stable - I also run with the CPU set on overboost - I use headphones most of the time so loud fans don't bother me that much. This forum has posts with different ways of reducing temps for the Zephyrus - some decide to disable Turbo boost but I always refused to do this because it defeats the point of buying such high end and high price of a machine. One thing for sure is that during high cpu usage, do NOT use the balanced mode for the fans - use overboost - it makes a big difference in temps and was throttling less in my case. If you search for some of my posts, you should see how I was able to reduce temps. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply. ill go have a look at those settings for future undervolting, but out of the box i dont think the laptop is supposed to hit 99 on the CPU temp. Im in the process of getting it repaired or replaced.

Pheebau wrote:

Can you post some screen shots or your profile? FINALLY got my laptop back fans at least are working now. I asked if they can repaste as well but literally no notes in the box as to what was fixed or done. For the price of the laptop it's pretty laughable.

Finally got my laptop back from Asus repairs, they did nothing to fix my thermals after waiting almost 2 weeks, they said its normal for the laptop to hit 99 degrees Celsius. Simply watching Youtube causes the CPU to sometimes spike to 94 with thermal throttling, id expect better thermals based on the design and overall marketing from Asus's AAS design, undervolting did absolutely nothing to my Temps they still hit 99 in 10 minutes and the laptop is so hot that the keys are even hot to press and i cant touch any part of the laptop as its unbearably hot.

This is unacceptable, if i had known it was going to have a 15% constant thermal throttle, i would have perhaps not bought the laptop.

Trying to get it repaired but im being told that my temps are normal. Its not even Summer in my country, by the time its summer the laptop is going to be fried.

TEIX wrote:
Finally got my laptop back from Asus repairs, they did nothing to fix my thermals after waiting almost 2 weeks, they said its normal for the laptop to hit 99 degrees Celsius. Simply watching Youtube causes the CPU to sometimes spike to 94 with thermal throttling, id expect better thermals based on the design and overall marketing from Asus's AAS design, undervolting did absolutely nothing to my Temps they still hit 99 in 10 minutes and the laptop is so hot that the keys are even hot to press and i cant touch any part of the laptop as its unbearably hot.

This is unacceptable, if i had known it was going to have a 15% constant thermal throttle, i would have perhaps not bought the laptop.

Trying to get it repaired but im being told that my temps are normal. Its not even Summer in my country, by the time its summer the laptop is going to be fried.

Yes it is totally unacceptable indeed. am guessing it is too late for you to return it? Your last resort might be to sell it or trade it in once you have it looked at again.

What are the highest temps in your room when you see 99c ? Try and disable Turbo Boost just to see the difference in temps - it is easy to do with XTU or ThrottleStop.

I dont have the exact temp of my room, but its cold to the point of wearing a jacket in the room,

I also tried disabling Turbo boost with an undervolt and the highest Temp was 88 degrees Celsius, which is still bad considering it was undervolted and the turbo boost was disabled.

Also i cant get it returned as ive missed the return window by wasting time sending it in for repairs.

Ok I finally got my temps manageable. I cannot believe all these "reviewers" are clearly paid shills. I am so angry for a company to release a product that literally gets scorching hot and no one says anything. I may make a review video and release my settings.

Throttle is set:

-125 for core and cache running stable.

I lowered my Core Active down to 39 for all procs. This seemed to make a huge difference. I stream on twitch while playing games and my temps now are between 75-80 mostly which is fine. I can't believe it passed QA like this. Without throttle stop you can barely hold it without it scorching in your lap (surfing web). I have a Acer Helios 300 and for 1/3 of the price it's embarrassing to say it performs pretty damn well compared. I also 3d printed a vertical stand for my laptop as I have it plugged into a monitor for better cooling.