Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Ok I finally got my temps manageable. I cannot believe all these "reviewers" are clearly paid shills. I am so angry for a company to release a product that literally gets scorching hot and no one says anything. I may make a review video and release my settings.

Throttle is set:

-125 for core and cache running stable.

I lowered my Core Active down to 39 for all procs. This seemed to make a huge difference. I stream on twitch while playing games and my temps now are between 75-80 mostly which is fine. I can't believe it passed QA like this. Without throttle stop you can barely hold it without it scorching in your lap (surfing web). I have a Acer Helios 300 and for 1/3 of the price it's embarrassing to say it performs pretty damn well compared. I also 3d printed a vertical stand for my laptop as I have it plugged into a monitor for better cooling.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Very nice. Yes I agree about the QA part - I guess I was lucky with mine to a degree although if I had not used throttlestop and undervolted it to -150mv for both core and cache and then repaste it I would have gone insane but I really like the laptop besides the temps - many of these recent high-end laptops are running hot - I have read countless reviews.

By default it should run 39 when all cores are active btw - you could even try to reduce it down a bit further if some apps are causing it to overheat like very high cpu bound ones. I have different profiles in ThrottleStop for this and when my indoor temps are higher than normal.

This is my 3dmark fire strike benchmark score https://www.3dmark.com/fs/18677105

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by sldallas View Post
    Ok I finally got my temps manageable. I cannot believe all these "reviewers" are clearly paid shills. I am so angry for a company to release a product that literally gets scorching hot and no one says anything. I may make a review video and release my settings.

Throttle is set:

-125 for core and cache running stable.

I lowered my Core Active down to 39 for all procs. This seemed to make a huge difference. I stream on twitch while playing games and my temps now are between 75-80 mostly which is fine. I can't believe it passed QA like this. Without throttle stop you can barely hold it without it scorching in your lap (surfing web). I have a Acer Helios 300 and for 1/3 of the price it's embarrassing to say it performs pretty damn well compared. I also 3d printed a vertical stand for my laptop as I have it plugged into a monitor for better cooling.
    I have just finished evaluating all possible undervolting options and i even attached a giant fan to the intake of the laptop and ran it in a cold room with plenty of desk space and the results.... still 99, im shocked, i also received the laptop back with a slight chip on the back, but i cant prove it.

I dont want to sell it as i wont get my moneys worth, and Asus isnt helping further neither the retailer, i should have stayed with Alienware.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by TEIX View Post
    I have just finished evaluating all possible undervolting options and i even attached a giant fan to the intake of the laptop and ran it in a cold room with plenty of desk space and the results.... still 99, im shocked, i also received the laptop back with a slight chip on the back, but i cant prove it.

I dont want to sell it as i wont get my moneys worth, and Asus isnt helping further neither the retailer, i should have stayed with Alienware.
    sldallas, can you possibly please run HW monitor or HWinfo for 1 hour on a game with max settings and uncapped frames with the undervolt and without the undervolt and then post the screenshot of the temps and cpu speed and power etc for me?

Much appreciated

Thanks, hopefully i can get a better idea of how your temps are to mine and see if i should continue fighting with Asus.

New ROGer Array

So if this helps before throttlestop did anything Max temps all were 99 while gaming. Support is useless unless something is physically broken like in my case the fan was. If you don't feel confident to repaste I bet a local shop would do it for you for a small fee. I know that would help some of the temps. Besides the temp issue this laptop is wickedly fast. I stream on twitch while playing no lag at all.

ROG Enthusiast Array

TEIX, for the sake of it, run a game or whatever benchmark you use when you measure temps but this time, disable turbo boost and post your temps results. I'd like to see if something else is wrong with your laptop or not - disabling Turbo Boost should bring your temps a lot lower. I can send you my ThrottleStop settings next.

How much undervolting were you able to do for the cache and cpu?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Exclamation

Here are my ThrottleStop settings - I have attached the main screen, the FIVR one (make sure to undervolt to something that is stable enough - if you don't know, you can start with -100mv for the CPU core and Cache (both needs to have the same undervolt value)
    Put the same Turbo Ratio Limits I have set in this section - it will run with 36 when all core are active and that is still plenty but it will decrease your temps significantly (it should). I have also attached the TPL file but you don't need to worry too much about TPL settings but feel free to copy my settings.
    Make sure you have the same settings in the Main pictures I have attached as well.
    If you aren't sure how to do it, you can always attached screenshots of ThrottleStop settings afterwards so we can look at them. Hope this helps for now.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos TS_Main.JPG  

TS_FIVR.JPG  

TS_TPL.JPG  

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Pheebau View Post
    Here are my ThrottleStop settings - I have attached the main screen, the FIVR one (make sure to undervolt to something that is stable enough - if you don't know, you can start with -100mv for the CPU core and Cache (both needs to have the same undervolt value)
    Put the same Turbo Ratio Limits I have set in this section - it will run with 36 when all core are active and that is still plenty but it will decrease your temps significantly (it should). I have also attached the TPL file but you don't need to worry too much about TPL settings but feel free to copy my settings.
    Make sure you have the same settings in the Main pictures I have attached as well.
    If you aren't sure how to do it, you can always attached screenshots of ThrottleStop settings afterwards so we can look at them. Hope this helps for now.
    Thanks for the screenshot, i will give it a try, but i have tried -150v on core and cache, 128, 180, 200 and a 250.

For the -250 to work i had the cache at 125. after all that still no temp reduction,

However my SST was at 125,0. So i will give your settings a try as well as the turbo boost settings and i will post my temps after a 30 min load.

PS. I have had Alienware laptops recently and changed the paste, however, in Europe according to the Warranty laws with Asus and most manufactures i am not allowed to open the laptop, i even asked Asus in these special circumstances to let me at leaste then get the paste done at a reputable IT shop with a proof of certificate and they told me it will still void the warranty, my option is to fly to another city in my country and take it to a Asus repair centre. Its a Joke that theres only one repair centre for ASUS in the whole country.

Hopefully Pheebau your settings will reduce temps, i will reun the setting tomorrow and post the results.

Thanks for both your guys help, it helps me figure out if this laptop is a factory Dud.

ROG Member Array

I have attached the Temps after 1 hour of playing Forza horizon 4 using your throttlestop settings.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Capture.JPG  

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by TEIX View Post
    I have attached the Temps after 1 hour of playing Forza horizon 4 using your throttlestop settings.
    Is that better than before at all?

Please and as I mentioned do NOT set the settings in the Turbo Power Limits window I had attached (the last screenshot) - it was just an informational one for what I set but I don't have CPU heat issues.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast