Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Zenith extrem randomly stop

hadrien
Level 7

Hi everybody,
I have an extremely annoying issue with the ROG Zenith Extrem motherboard.
Everything boot fine but under heavy load the system randomly stop (black screen, everything stop except fans which are blowing like crazy) at this time the Qled screen indicate: «Code AA Detect: HDD»

I also have a orange led always on just on the side of the ram, the manual doesn't indicate what it means.

I tried updated the bios, restart CMOS, unplug and replug processor or graphics card nothing seams to solve it.
It only stops under heavy loads/calculation but not under light/medium load, that's really strange.

Here is my setup:
CPU: Threadripper 2990WX,
RAM: Ripjaws V Series 128GB (8 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000
GPU: 2080 NVIDIA RTX (x4)
PSU : 1600w
Linux Mint

Can someone help me please ?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Cory29
Level 7
your over heating or your ram speed MHZ is set to high and its erroring out (im guessing its set to high)

drop your speed to 2933 and keep dropping it till it doesn't crash -- this board is really touchy when you fill all the slots with ram

the trial version of aida64 should help you figure out whats crashing first

Thanks for your help. Everything is on «optimized default» on the bios. I tried to decrease the ram speed but it freezed the system on heavy load (new problem ahah) so back to everything by default.
And then I saw that by default the bios settings was overclocking the system, I disabled that and it now works perfectly even under heavy load. The problem was coming from the overclocking by default setup ! Those default setups are not the best then.

Thanks a lot man for helping me on this, I was wraping my head around for weeks now so a HUGE thank you for that.

MikeBR
Level 7
hadrien wrote:

GPU: 2080 NVIDIA RTX (x4)

Hi, nice that you solved your problem.

I just want to ask you how did you fit the 4 GPUs in there? Isn't each one very very close to each other?
What GPUs model are there? Founder editions or something else?

Because i want to put 2 extra RTX 2080 Ti (Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB ROG Strix OC) and i have already 2 2080s(with triple fans each).
I see there are 4 slots in the motherboard(ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme) for the GPUs but my main problem and question is ok they may fit all 4, but by putting 3 or more, then at least 2 GPUs will be VERY close to each other so the fans of one will be just 1-2 mm away from the next GPU. Isn't this gonna create heating problems??
Shouldn't the fans have a big space for air?

The extra 2 GPUs i want to put is this:

The recommended RAM speeds from AMD as follows for the Threadripper:

DIMM Config Memory Ranks max. Takt
4 of 4 Single DDR4-2933
4 of 8 Single DDR4-2667
8 of 8 Single DDR4-2133
4 of 4 Dual DDR4-2933
4 of 8 Dual DDR4-2667
8 of 8 Dual DDR4-1866

All above that is overclocking and could run with tighting the voltages and loose the timings, but not sure under all conditions (extreme load).