Did you mean: 

Pls. Help - Detecting 2 Keyboards Problem

orionfw
Level 7
Hi,

Model: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
BIOS: 0604 x64

Problem(s):
1. I have only attached one USB Keyboard (NO PS/2 Keyboard) to the motherboard. When I go to BIOS under Advance -> USB Configuration, I see that my motherboard detect 2 USB Keyboards. When I disconnect that keyboard, motherboard detects 1 keyboard (No keyboard attached to it). Can someone please help me on how to fix this problem?

What I have tried so far:
a. I cleared the CMOS (Technician from ASUS told me) by basically removing battery from motherboard, wait 1 minute, while waiting, hold power bottom to clear all charges and then put everything back on (Didn't work).

b. Flash bios to newer version, 1101 (That didn't work).

c. Flashback (Tools -> Flashback) the BIOS (0604) (That didn't work).

Thanks
Mani
28 REPLIES 28

HiVizMan
Level 40
Is there any contaminate in one of the USB ports, a bit of waste matter that might be fooling the USB into thinking there is something connected?

Have a good visual inspection and check if all clear.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Raja
Level 13
orionfw wrote:
Hi,

Model: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
BIOS: 0604 x64

Problem(s):
1. I have only attached one USB Keyboard (NO PS/2 Keyboard) to the motherboard. When I go to BIOS under Advance -> USB Configuration, I see that my motherboard detect 2 USB Keyboards. When I disconnect that keyboard, motherboard detects 1 keyboard (No keyboard attached to it). Can someone please help me on how to fix this problem?

What I have tried so far:
a. I cleared the CMOS (Technician from ASUS told me) by basically removing battery from motherboard, wait 1 minute, while waiting, hold power bottom to clear all charges and then put everything back on (Didn't work).

b. Flash bios to newer version, 1101 (That didn't work).

c. Flashback (Tools -> Flashback) the BIOS (0604) (That didn't work).

Thanks
Mani

its just a misreport (some USB devices are picked up as keyboard). The system should be working fine regardless.

You can update to a later UEFI also.

Thank you guys for the reply.

I checked all the USB port, I didn't detect anything. Is there any way that I can fix the misreport? I also update my BIOS to ver. 1101 and I still see the same thing (Did FlashBack after upgrading and that didn't work either).

Beside that motherboard works fine (When I called ASUS, one the agent told me that my motherboard is defected and I should send it to them to fix it, is true?).

Why I'm Concern:
My Motherboard reported everything fine until 3 weeks ago that I had to change my keyboard (Some of the keys wasn't working and I got the replacement for it). After connecting the new keyboard (Same brand of keyboard , same USB port as before), I see that my Motherboard reports "2 Keyboards, 1 Mouse, 2 Hubs".

--
Thanks

mdzcpa
Level 12
I get the same misreport as well. I see it on my initial boot up screen as well. But I have experienced no negative affects from it and simply ignore it.

Thanks for the reply.

Another thing that worries me is the keylogger. Maybe because of that it shows two keyboards. I might be wrong. I don't have much experience in computer.

--
Thanks

mdzcpa wrote:
I get the same misreport as well. I see it on my initial boot up screen as well. But I have experienced no negative affects from it and simply ignore it.

Me too, this only appears to show IF the keyboard is attached through USB, adding the converter and pluging it into the PS2 port and it informs there are NO keyboards attached!!! :eek: Yet here I am tapping on one 🙂

I think at end of the day, it's essentially a non-issue caused by to a bug in the UEFI BIOS.
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

Glad that I'm not the only one here experiencing this problem. If it's a bug hopefully they fix it in the next release of BIOS.

Another thing that I notice is "Windows Boot Manager" under Boot menu. I installed windows 7 Pro x64 and Uninstall it by zero fill the hard drive. I still see "Windows Boot Manager" in my BIOS. Does anyone knows on how to delete it from boot menu.

I'm thinking that when BIOS detects something it saves it and on the next restart it never checks to see if it is still exist. I might be wrong.

Necrosan
Level 12
Mine also does this. No noticeable problems because of it.
Simply cosmetic.
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

Raja
Level 13
It's just a bug report, it will require a large amount of time to 'fix' (depends on how devices are recognised) and because the boards are working fine it is not a high-priority for us at the moment. High priority items are those that are causing gross incompatibility and non-function.

-Raja