cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What CPU stability test are recommended?

Hopper64
Level 15
I have been using Asus' Extreme Tuning utility (Intel) for stability testing of my OC. Works well for me. If the machine is not stable, I usually know within 3-4 minutes. What test is recommended? How long do you test? I know some applications aren't recommended. Thanks.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro
7 REPLIES 7

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
XTU works well for testing non AVX workloads. Between this and Realbench are the main two utilities I use personally. The tests should ideally be run for 1 to 2 hours minimum.

The other alternative for AVX is the x256 benchmark available from hwbot. This lets you assign multiple encoding instances.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Prime 95...and by 95 I mean 95 hours straight! If the CPU survives that you know it's going to be stable for the few days it lives afterwards

I like the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool 64bit. I am not a fan of Prime95 its load is not very realistic and hard on the CPU. And Windows Memory Diagnostic to test my memory. I don't like the Intel XTU for either but a quick 5 minutes test with it (memory and CPU) will tell if you are wildly unstable very quickly. A weird test I also like to do is Disk Cleanup while other disk intensive operations are going on (Crystal Disk Mark for instance). I have had what I thought is a stable OC and had my system fail with that disk test. But I run VROC RAID 0 too that fortunately also benefits from OCing.

Hopper64
Level 15
Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.

Arne-LOL.*
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Hopper64
Level 15
BTW-I noticed handbrake will crash the PC if not tuned correctly. I actually used it to hone in on the correct Vcore for this sample.

Hopper64 wrote:
BTW-I noticed handbrake will crash the PC if not tuned correctly. I actually used it to hone in on the correct Vcore for this sample.

yep, that’s why I suggested it 😉
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

DJEmir
Level 7
I just do mild Overclocking, I had the computer fail a few times when I first built it and I just kept lowering the speed a little at a time until it stayed stable and no longer crashed then tested it with a few games and a few graphic design projects using photoshop and adobe illustrator and once it made it through everything I left it at that setting. It's been stable since no issues, never had any blue screens on this PC like I did with my previous set up. But it is getting older now and probably almost time for an upgrade. Kind of waiting it out as it is fast enough for most of the designs I currently do and even video editing. I was running out of storage though so just bought a 10TB hard drive to replace one of my two 6TB hard drives. I'm running a 1TB Solid State Drive as the main program hard drive and the 7200 RPM 10TB and 6TB hard drives for storage. I was all excited when I saw the news on the 28 core processor and a few other workstation cores until I saw the pricetag. Don't feel the need to upgrade that bad, just yet, wait a year and the price will have to drop. Would be nice to upgrade the design workstation to that or something similar, but just not yet. - DJ Emir of Denver's Best DJs