cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53 Screen Problem

fedex-bermu
Level 7
Hello, a month ago I bought an g53 laptop from tiger direct, everything worked great until yesterday when my screen refused to show anything after standby, after a few reboots the screen went fine and all was working perfect, I played fifa 12 and no problems at all, so I suspend it again, and today when I wanted to use it again the screen refused to show anything, and now I dont know how to solve it.

It seems like it starts as I hear the windows chime, also pluging to hdmi or vga does nothing, tried the fn combinations with no result.

Im from Argentina and the Asus service says that it only gives supports to laptops bought here (argentina).

also I tried removing one ram, the easiest to take off and the problem persists, I see no post, or nothing, its like the screen is off.

Please help me as I have been reading for a while and seen other g53 owners with the same problem, but nothing is said about how to solve it.

thanks in advance.
18 REPLIES 18

carulli
Level 7
Its likely your graphics card. Did you see any artifacts ant any times (especially in games)? Any GSOD? Were you/ have you been monitoring temps? If so what is the highest you have ever seen your graphics card and what did it idle at? It COULD be the cable from your graphics card to your panel, i doubt it though.

Ultimately its gonna require an RMA unless you feel like fixing it yourself.

Just to confirm. I am under the impression that you CANT see the asus logo before windows starts loading, is this correct?

EDIT: Artifacts are little speckles or lines or flashes on the screen that aren't meant to be there.

vudugan
Level 7
Hello, read my post #5, http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10790-G53SX-RH71-Anyone as far as what Asus told me. Then check out my last post on page 2 #11 if your interested in opening up the lappie to check more connections. I am guessing the video card might be in the area I described. Try to restart lappie by holding it level in the air from the right front corner allowing the weight overhang in your hand. I know how ridiculous this sounds but it works for me til I can get a spare lappie to return this one. Seems like putting pressure on the bottom of that area is reconnecting what is loose or worse....cracked. And please4 post your results!

BTW... Resetting the mobo 2-3 times did not help me but i would try my last suggestion before doing so
G53SX-RH71

15.6" 1920 x 1080 Full HD (16:9) Matte Type Display
Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor, 2.2 GHz
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
Memory 12GB, PC3-10600/1333Mhz DDR3 - 3 x 4GB
Hard Drive 750GB/7200rpm 16MB Cache Buffer SATA-300 (SATA II 3GB/s)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M w/2GB GDDR5 295.73

dstrakele
Level 14
fedex-bermu wrote:
It seems like it starts as I hear the windows chime, also pluging to hdmi or vga does nothing, tried the fn combinations with no result.

If an external monitor fails to display an image, it could indicate a problem with the GPU. Are you sure you configured the external monitor to use HDMI or VGA input? However, since you did not report any artifacts or other video corruption, it is possible you may be experiencing a different problem.

1) Did you try the Fn-F7 key combination that turns the laptop display on and off? Even if the laptop display was turned off with this key combo, the external monitor should still display video.

2) If you already tried Fn-F7, do the recommendations in http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/why-is-my-screen-black-when-i-start-windows-7 change behavior?

3) Reseating the HDD(s) as well as RAM has sometimes resolved this issue.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Today when I turned on the laptop it just worked, I moved the screen a little bit on the sides and it appeared the asus logo, now Im writing from my laptop.

Im still worried what can it be...

I tried yesterday pressing the fn + f7 and f8, also the brightness with no result, there was no signal through hdmi or vga. Today that its working fine hdmi works great.

Also, no artifacts, I play great with ultra settings.

I'm currently having this same problem as well. At vudugans suggestion holding the laptop as he said does seem to work to get it to turn on. Also, when its on everything works great no artifacts, games run on max settings etc. but as soon as I shut down it will not turn on again unless properly fondling the laptop. One of the certified repair places is not too far from me I might go there before I decide to RMA it. I will post information as I find it out as this does not seem to be isolated and is becoming more common lately.

dstrakele
Level 14
Check out this thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/634463-strange-screen-problem-asus-g53sx.... It maybe worthwhile to PM Chastity at the Notebook Review Forums and hopefully get a case number. Physically manipulating the laptop to get the screen to work most likely indicates a hardware issue requiring repair work.

In asus page it says that the laptop has a 2 year global limited warranty, and in the sicker under my laptop says 12m so... its 2 years or 1? its global or local?? Im confused

Also, as I live in Argentina, and I bought the laptop in USA, Asus refuses to repair my laptop under the warranty, what should I do? any advice would be greatly apreciated.

Should I buy the global extension so Asus recognises the warrantyin my country? Im a little pissed off as its not clear what type of warranty do I have...

Just curious... For those of you that must physically manipulate your notebook to get the display to work, does the following procedure allow a successful start after getting a blank screen:

Unplug your notebook and remove any attached peripherals (power adapter, mouse, USB drives, external monitors, etc.), remove the battery, press the power on button and hold it down for 30 seconds, attach the power adapter, plug in and boot.

not, it does not work, the only thing wich seems to work is pressing not to hard where the triangle is, on the bottom, a little bit to the left, I do that everyday when I want to turn on the laptop and it simply works... I think it must be geforce making false contact or something like that...

It is very strange that the only moment when it does this is when I turn it on, after that, whatever I do, it just work as it should, what could be that apllying a little preassure makes it work?