cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Centurion 7.1, dead audio station after firmware upgrade?

Quasimiyao
Level 7
Hey, just a question regarding my Rog Centurion headset. I updated to latest firmware the other day, and everything worked fine for a couple days. After turning off my pc for maybe 12 hours (something I usually never do, they tend to stay on 24/7) the headset is no longer recognised by windows. In device manager it says
Unknown USB device (Port reset failed)
and under device status I have the following message:
windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (code 43) 
A USB port reset request failed.

Not unfamiliar messages, have encountered them a few times through the years, but none of the usual troubleshooting tricks have worked so far.

When I plug in the headset, no matter if its through a hub or in any of the ports of the mainbord (ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA, BIOS 3703) I get no sign of life on the audio station. No lights turning on, not even a blink, but the lights on the headset itself lights up for a second then disappear as well.

So in summary, after updating firmware on the audio station everything worked fine, also after a reboot, but turning the PC off for a few hours ended with the headset saying goodbye.

So is this a case of RMA (closing in on 2 years since I bought them) or is there a way to reflash the firmware, either downgrade, flash the same or the modified one from the sticky in this forum, when the pc, and then also the firmware tool, will not recognise the headset as being connected?
Or any other ideas if someone have encountered the same issue and managed to fix it?
16 REPLIES 16

iamoniwaban
Level 7
I alsop shut my pc down for a few hours and when it booted back up the headset doesn't work. same as yours, the amp flashes red and nothing else.

same here sometime when I booted up the pc the centurion work, but when I shut it down it is not recognize by the system same message on the device manager. I think it its due to windows update. But why ASUS still not releasing a new driver/firmware?

paul roperos wrote:
same here sometime when I booted up the pc the centurion work, but when I shut it down it is not recognize by the system same message on the device manager. I think it its due to windows update. But why ASUS still not releasing a new driver/firmware?

Mine was working well until 2 day's ago when i rebooted for a windows update.

now im getting the same error as this topic (the "A USB port reset request failed.").

An interesting thing is that it work fine on other computers and all usb ports on the machine where it does not work, have the same problem. Those same port work for anything else i plug in them.

I tried the port directly on the machine, a powered usb hub on those port, a pcie usb 3 card, a powered usb-c hub and even an usb 2 hub on the usb 3 port. none worked.

I tried all firmware versions i could find, to no avail. Even the firmware updater does not detect the audio station on that machine, i have to upgrade the firmware on another pc.

paul_roperos
Level 7
now my centurion dont boot anymore feel sad and disappointed with ASUS this head cost so much. right now I still use the headset on centurion using the the HDMI to analog speaker that come bundle with the box get some HDMI female to female adaptor, connect the HDMI of the headset to the adaptor connect the adaptor to the HDMI to analog speaker dongle then buy a cheap 7.1 USB soundcard with 3.5(6 channel) analog and connect the dongle and it work, but don't expect for the mic to work coz it will not.... ASUS fix that god damn box......

same issue for me .... Unknown USB device on USB 2
And nothing when i plug it on USB 3....

ok so I have not fixed the issue, but I have done a whole lot of trouble shooting, I'm gonna rattle these off so anyone here with the same issues doesn't have to.

It's also worth mentioning that I do not have a usb port reset error in device manager, in fact, my PC does not detect the device what so ever when it isn't working.

Sometimes, can be hours, days, even months with my PC being on, the control box will magically light up and everything will work just fine. This reconnect has happened overnight and I have no pets, so I can confirm that it is not because of a loose connection (as in, a cat could move the device).

The device will only stop working once the PC has been turned off for a long amount of time. Reboots, shutdowns and restarts will not cause the device to malfunction.

I can also confirm that this issue happened after flashing the new firmware.

when I reconnect the headset to the PC, only sometimes will I see the headset lights turn on for approx. 2 seconds, I have no idea what causes this to happen/not happen.

Ok so with that out of the way, here's what I've done to no success, please note that this list is not in order
re-flashed current firmware
flashed previous firmware version
flashed that beta firmware on the forums
flashed the first downloadable firmware
reinstalled windows 10 pro x64
reinstalled windows 10 pro x64 to the first version of the OS
reinstalled every USB driver on my PC (when they were disconnected)
reinstalled every USB driver on my PC (when the headset was connected and working)
reinstalled every audio device on my PC (when they were disconnected)
reinstalled every audio device on my PC (when the headset was connected and working)
uninstalled NVidia drivers (alongside the realtek audio drivers it has)
uninstalled the 3 drivers for the headset in device manager (when they were disconnected)
uninstalled the 3 drivers for the headset in device manager (when it was connected and working)
tested headset on a linux device
tested headset on a macosx device
tested headset on my personal laptop (win10 pro x64)
tested headset on a crypto miner (mainly to gauge power consumption)
opened up control box and inspected components under a jewelers loupe
reseated the cables inside of the control box
opened up the headphones themselves and inspected components under a jewelers loupe
cut out a portion of the headsets HDMI cable that i thought could be damaged (I do not recommend doing that)
put headset on a vibration table over night to test anything that could be loose (I seriously don't recommend doing that)

Currently my headset is connected and working after all of this testing, but nothing has stopped it from not powering on after a long shutdown period.
if there is anything people here want me to test while the headset is functional that I haven't already thought of, please leave a reply and I'll get right on it.
I'd say it's pretty poor that ASUS hasn't at least commented on this issue yet, let alone pushed a fix for it. This is not a cheap headset, and honestly, I'm not about to purchase any more of their hardware if this is the level of support that we are given here.

Marky Boy wrote:
ok so I have not fixed the issue, but I have done a whole lot of trouble shooting, I'm gonna rattle these off so anyone here with the same issues doesn't have to.

It's also worth mentioning that I do not have a usb port reset error in device manager, in fact, my PC does not detect the device what so ever when it isn't working.

Sometimes, can be hours, days, even months with my PC being on, the control box will magically light up and everything will work just fine. This reconnect has happened overnight and I have no pets, so I can confirm that it is not because of a loose connection (as in, a cat could move the device).

The device will only stop working once the PC has been turned off for a long amount of time. Reboots, shutdowns and restarts will not cause the device to malfunction.

I can also confirm that this issue happened after flashing the new firmware.

when I reconnect the headset to the PC, only sometimes will I see the headset lights turn on for approx. 2 seconds, I have no idea what causes this to happen/not happen.

Ok so with that out of the way, here's what I've done to no success, please note that this list is not in order
re-flashed current firmware
flashed previous firmware version
flashed that beta firmware on the forums
flashed the first downloadable firmware
reinstalled windows 10 pro x64
reinstalled windows 10 pro x64 to the first version of the OS
reinstalled every USB driver on my PC (when they were disconnected)
reinstalled every USB driver on my PC (when the headset was connected and working)
reinstalled every audio device on my PC (when they were disconnected)
reinstalled every audio device on my PC (when the headset was connected and working)
uninstalled NVidia drivers (alongside the realtek audio drivers it has)
uninstalled the 3 drivers for the headset in device manager (when they were disconnected)
uninstalled the 3 drivers for the headset in device manager (when it was connected and working)
tested headset on a linux device
tested headset on a macosx device
tested headset on my personal laptop (win10 pro x64)
tested headset on a crypto miner (mainly to gauge power consumption)
opened up control box and inspected components under a jewelers loupe
reseated the cables inside of the control box
opened up the headphones themselves and inspected components under a jewelers loupe
cut out a portion of the headsets HDMI cable that i thought could be damaged (I do not recommend doing that)
put headset on a vibration table over night to test anything that could be loose (I seriously don't recommend doing that)

Currently my headset is connected and working after all of this testing, but nothing has stopped it from not powering on after a long shutdown period.
if there is anything people here want me to test while the headset is functional that I haven't already thought of, please leave a reply and I'll get right on it.
I'd say it's pretty poor that ASUS hasn't at least commented on this issue yet, let alone pushed a fix for it. This is not a cheap headset, and honestly, I'm not about to purchase any more of their hardware if this is the level of support that we are given here.

I had a control box fail with very similar issues. Mine behave almost exactly like yours except that the power off time, was pretty short. Only a few minutes. It was the cause of resume failures from sleep too. Once it quit working, it would as yours just randomly start working again some period of time. Your control box has failed. I just replaced mine, and everything is back to normal. So now I have another spare headset. I'm considering seeing what results I would get wiring it up to my Asus Phoebus Sound card. Pin out on the cable would be easy. Make my own 7.1.

The strange thing is that the hub work fine on my laptop but not on my gaming PC.

I installed nothing new on my big PC, just a firmware update fot the hub...

darcksoul wrote:
The strange thing is that the hub work fine on my laptop but not on my gaming PC.

I installed nothing new on my big PC, just a firmware update fot the hub...

Notice the level of support? Zero, and the forum is getting spammed and not one single person monitoring it. Not a one.
They clearly do not care at all.