cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Zephyrus M Power Plan Switching

ressonantia
Level 7
Hi all!

If you, like me have been frustrated that when plugged in the laptop automatically switches to "High Performance" and when you unplug the AC adapter it goes to "Power Saver" then I have a solution for you!

The issue stems from the ROG Gaming Centre deciding what's best for you and forcing the switch/creation of power plans depending on whether you're plugged into AC power or not.

If you're interested, launch event viewer and have a look at Windows Logs > System. You'll see quite a few "UserModePowerService" source events with something like

Process C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC\ROG Gaming Center\ROGGamingKey.exe (process ID:5052) reset policy scheme from {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e} to {6fecc5ae-f350-48a5-b669-b472cb895ccf}

In them.

Now the only way I've found to fix it is by creating a custom task using Task Scheduler and then listening for these "UserModePowerService" events and switching them back to "Balanced".

Pre-requisites:
* You'll have to figure out the UIDs of the power plans on your system by opening a cmd and then using "powercfg -l"
* This is mine if you want an example

C:\Users\ressonantia>powercfg -l

Existing Power Schemes (* Active)
-----------------------------------
Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e (Balanced) *
Power Scheme GUID: 64a64f24-65b9-4b56-befd-5ec1eaced9b3 (Power saver)
Power Scheme GUID: 6fecc5ae-f350-48a5-b669-b472cb895ccf (High performance)

Steps:
1. Start > Task Scheduler

2. Create Task

3. Under the General Tab
3.1. Security options > Change User or Group... > Enter the object name to select > System > Check Names > OK
3.2. Run with highest privileges = checked
3.3. Hidden = checked
3.4. Configure for = Windows 10

4. Under the Triggers Tab
4.1 Create New Trigger > Begin the task = On an event > Settings = Custom > New Event Filter

This event filter basically translates as: if anything changes the power plan to something else, then run this task

Replace the UIDs with the ones that are in your system

4.2. Create New Trigger > Begin the task = On an event > Settings = Custom > New Event Filter

This event filter basically translates as: if we detect a change in AC power, then run this task

5. Under the Actions tab
5.1. Create a new action > Action = Start a program > Program/script = C:\Windows\System32\powercfg.exe > Add arguments = -s {insert UID of balanced or your preferred power plan here} > OK

6. Under the Conditions tab > Make sure everything is unchecked here

7. Under the Settings tab
7.1. Allow task to be run on demand = checked
7.2. Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed = checked
7.3. If the running task does not end when requested, force it to stop = checked

And that should do it, it will force it to reset back to the balanced power plan no matter what ROG Gaming Centre tries to do. Hopefully this helps someone
1 REPLY 1

ExperimentX
Level 7
ressonantia wrote:
Hi all!

If you, like me have been frustrated that when plugged in the laptop automatically switches to "High Performance" and when you unplug the AC adapter it goes to "Power Saver" then I have a solution for you!

The issue stems from the ROG Gaming Centre deciding what's best for you and forcing the switch/creation of power plans depending on whether you're plugged into AC power or not.

If you're interested, launch event viewer and have a look at Windows Logs > System. You'll see quite a few "UserModePowerService" source events with something like

Process C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC\ROG Gaming Center\ROGGamingKey.exe (process ID:5052) reset policy scheme from {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e} to {6fecc5ae-f350-48a5-b669-b472cb895ccf}

In them.

Now the only way I've found to fix it is by creating a custom task using Task Scheduler and then listening for these "UserModePowerService" events and switching them back to "Balanced".

Pre-requisites:
* You'll have to figure out the UIDs of the power plans on your system by opening a cmd and then using "powercfg -l"
* This is mine if you want an example

C:\Users\ressonantia>powercfg -l

Existing Power Schemes (* Active)
-----------------------------------
Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e (Balanced) *
Power Scheme GUID: 64a64f24-65b9-4b56-befd-5ec1eaced9b3 (Power saver)
Power Scheme GUID: 6fecc5ae-f350-48a5-b669-b472cb895ccf (High performance)

Steps:
1. Start > Task Scheduler

2. Create Task

3. Under the General Tab
3.1. Security options > Change User or Group... > Enter the object name to select > System > Check Names > OK
3.2. Run with highest privileges = checked
3.3. Hidden = checked
3.4. Configure for = Windows 10

4. Under the Triggers Tab
4.1 Create New Trigger > Begin the task = On an event > Settings = Custom > New Event Filter

This event filter basically translates as: if anything changes the power plan to something else, then run this task

Replace the UIDs with the ones that are in your system

4.2. Create New Trigger > Begin the task = On an event > Settings = Custom > New Event Filter

This event filter basically translates as: if we detect a change in AC power, then run this task

5. Under the Actions tab
5.1. Create a new action > Action = Start a program > Program/script = C:\Windows\System32\powercfg.exe > Add arguments = -s {insert UID of balanced or your preferred power plan here} > OK

6. Under the Conditions tab > Make sure everything is unchecked here

7. Under the Settings tab
7.1. Allow task to be run on demand = checked
7.2. Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed = checked
7.3. If the running task does not end when requested, force it to stop = checked

And that should do it, it will force it to reset back to the balanced power plan no matter what ROG Gaming Centre tries to do. Hopefully this helps someone

I just found another solution for Armoury Crate you can just delete ArmouryCrate.UserSessionHelper. Program will work without it and power plan won't change. Thank you for help.