cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus X470-F Mobo with M.2 SSD and SLI issue

bstonearch
Level 7
Hey All,

I’m having an issue regarding my new M.2 SSD and RTX graphics cards that I’m hoping someone can help me out with. The issue arises when I install my M.2 NVMe. Before installing, my 2 RTX’s with NVLink worked perfectly fine. After installing the M.2, my computer would not boot into windows. I would get the windows icon when booting up and the PC would freeze on that screen. So I booted into safe mode, went into my device manager and uninstalled my Nvidia RTX Cards. I then restarted my PC and it booted successfully with the M.2 SSD being recognized by windows. I installed the latest Nvidia Driver and the RTX cards show up in my device manager without any issue. However, whenever I try to access the Nvidia Control Panel, an error message pops up stating “Your display is not attached to a nvidia gpu”. I also cannot change my resolution to anything above 1920x1080 (I have a 3440x1440 screen). I made sure that my monitor is plugged into one of my cards. I also went onto GPU-Z and it shows that both NVidia cards are running in PCIe 3.0x8, which is normal.

I am using an Asus X470-F motherboard. In the user manual it states that there are 2 M.2 slots with the following features:

For AMD Ryzen 2 Generation with Radeon Vega Graphics, the M.2_1 socket supports PCIe3.0 x4 mode and SATA mode M Key design and type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices.

The M.2_2 socket supports PCIe 3.0x2 mode and SATA mode M Key design and type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices.

The M.2_2 socket shares PCIe clock with PCIe x1_1. When PCIe x1_1 or PCIe x1_3 is occupied, the M.2_2 socket can only support SATA mode.

I bought the “Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 1TB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD - Gen3 PCIe, M.2 2280, 3D NAND - WDS100T3X0C”

Currently, the M.2 SSD is installed in the M.2_1 socket. Could the issue be that I am running my two Nvidia RTX cards in SLI in PCIe3.0 x8 mode, while trying to use the M.2_1 socket that runs in PCIe3.0 x4 mode? The motherboard only has two PCIe 3.0 expansion slots (which are both occupied by the GPU’s). And I don’t want to run the SSD in SATA mode because then I won’t be using the NVMe device to its fullest. I do have a Wifi card plugged into the PCIe x1_3 slot, however, this should only affect the SSD if it is plugged into socket M.2_2, which it is not.

If you have any suggestions, I’m all ears! Thanks
0 REPLIES 0