cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix x299-xe gaming and win7

fubat
Level 7
Hi all,

I recently purchased a ROG STRIX X299-XE Gaming. When I try to install Windows 7 I have no mouse or keyboard and therefore can't complete my OS install. Keyboard and mouse are recognised during boot and post but nothing after. Is EFI not supported by this board ? I have explored the bios but can find nothing. I am running win 10 atm but hate it.

Any and all help much appreciated.

Best regards.

fubat
10 REPLIES 10

Retired
Not applicable
fubat, I'm wondering on how you installed Windows 10 then?

AS185 wrote:

Don't win10 have native support for usb 3.0 ? That must've been it
Win7 does not, i think OP gon' have to get the usb drivers inside the win7 iso
Then it should be recognized during install

Retired
Not applicable
OGSnow, well that would be very strange to say the least. I'm confident that all motherboards have keyboards & mice have enabled legacy usb ports as per default. Even if the components are USB 3.0 then most of the time the motherboard would be backward compatible with USB 2.0 🙂 I installed on Zenith Extreme, Windows 10 without any problems. If this is the issue, Windows 7 was/is truly incompatible.

AS185 wrote:
OGSnow, well that would be very strange to say the least. I'm confident that all motherboards have keyboards & mice have enabled legacy usb ports as per default. Even if the components are USB 3.0 then most of the time the motherboard would be backward compatible with USB 2.0 🙂 I installed on Zenith Extreme, Windows 10 without any problems. If this is the issue, Windows 7 was/is truly incompatible.

I think the problem is that Win 7 doesn't just use whatever EFI HID might be present. It tries to load it's own drivers and if you have hardware that didn't even have a generic Windows driver at the time Win 7 was published you are in a bind without some sort of slipstreaming.

Frankly, nobody should be installing new Windows 7 copies at this point. MS is only supporting it for the rest of the year. Corporate customers with legacy software can get extended support on Azure, but general consumers should stick with Win 10 going forward.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
xeromist wrote:
I think the problem is that Win 7 doesn't just use whatever EFI HID might be present. It tries to load it's own drivers and if you have hardware that didn't even have a generic Windows driver at the time Win 7 was published you are in a bind without some sort of slipstreaming.

Well I guess Microsoft figured that out when they released Windows 10. I did mount an old Logitech trackball onto my laptop a while ago and it worked just fine 🙂 But damn, I suppose I wouldn't be able to install Windows 7 while using any of my Razer components.

AS185 wrote:
Well I guess Microsoft figured that out when they released Windows 10. I did mount an old Logitech trackball onto my laptop a while ago and it worked just fine 🙂 But damn, I suppose I wouldn't be able to install Windows 7 while using any of my Razer components.

There are two issues at play. Potentially the USB controller might not have a driver in which case anything plugged into the port won't work. There's also the potential for a specific device to require different drivers. Some devices are like this because they implement special functionality. Notably some gaming devices use non-standard high poling rates and are thus implemented as a custom USB device rather than a USB keyboard for example. Usually you don't notice but this is a problem for KVMs that use emulation and older BIOS implementations that are limited to a USB keyboard.

A lot of devices are actually multiple system devices. So they implement basic HID functions as one device and macro buttons as another. That way Windows can get them working immediately with local drivers but advanced functionality isn't available until you install the custom driver or Windows pulls it from it's own servers.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thanks for all the input so far guys.

After looking again in the bios, I found this option

Could this enable mouse and k/board during win 7 install ? Any thoughts, bearing in mind I have no PS/2 ports on my mobo.

BTW, my mouse is a Logitech G9 laser and my kb is a Ducky Shine 6

Best regards.

fubat

fubat wrote:
Thanks for all the input so far guys.

After looking again in the bios, I found this option

Could this enable mouse and k/board during win 7 install ? Any thoughts, bearing in mind I have no PS/2 ports on my mobo.

BTW, my mouse is a Logitech G9 laser and my kb is a Ducky Shine 6

Best regards.

fubat

Yes with win 7 you need to enable the simulator as legacy drivers are not installed.

AS185 wrote:

Win 10 is a UEFI based system, therefore no problems. It appears the bios is also UEFI based only !!!

Win 10 cannot even be installed on a basic MBR partition, whereas Win7 can.

Legacy works fine whilst in bios and pre post, however when Win 7 boots even to install, legacy is lost it seems !

Best regards.

fubat