cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Zephyrus GX531s has a problem with the graphics card

kyildirim24
Level 7
HI, i own a Zephyrus GX531s with a i7 8th gen and a GTX 1070 max-q and i get intense frame drops. I used msi afterburner to monitor my gpu during the frame drops and found out that i get around 1000mhz drops which makes me lose around 100-120 frames.

I dont know why this happens and i dont have an idea of how to fix it.

Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?
10 REPLIES 10

TEIX
Level 7
kyildirim24 wrote:
HI, i own a Zephyrus GX531s with a i7 8th gen and a GTX 1070 max-q and i get intense frame drops. I used msi afterburner to monitor my gpu during the frame drops and found out that i get around 1000mhz drops which makes me lose around 100-120 frames.

I dont know why this happens and i dont have an idea of how to fix it.

Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?

Hi, What the CPU AND GPU temps at, and what performance profile are you running on in Armory crate?

my cpu temp is always different during the drops, sometimes in the 80s or 90s. My gpu temp is around 80 degrees and it sometimes goes above 85 degrees. And, i've tryed different profiles and it doesnt change anything. i even tried underclocked and overclocked my gpu and they did not change the situation.

kyildirim24 wrote:
my cpu temp is always different during the drops, sometimes in the 80s or 90s. My gpu temp is around 80 degrees and it sometimes goes above 85 degrees. And, i've tryed different profiles and it doesnt change anything. i even tried underclocked and overclocked my gpu and they did not change the situation.

Does your battery drain while the charger is plugged in and you're gaming?
It might be software or Hardware.
Your temps are fine, my GX531 CPU gets up to 99 degrees Celsius and the GPU goes over 80.

Your best bet to see if its a software issue is to reset your laptop to factory settings.
If that doesn't help, try see if there is a new bios version available for your laptop. I think the new bios is on A302, not sure.

If that still doesn't work then try hooking up to a external display and trying it while running on a external display, even a TV, as the HDMI port on the laptop uses a direct connection to the Nvdia GPU.

If all that still doesn't work, try contact ASUS technical support, but most likely they will ask you to send it in for repairs.

TEIX wrote:
Does your battery drain while the charger is plugged in and you're gaming?
It might be software or Hardware.
Your temps are fine, my GX531 CPU gets up to 99 degrees Celsius and the GPU goes over 80.

Your best bet to see if its a software issue is to reset your laptop to factory settings.
If that doesn't help, try see if there is a new bios version available for your laptop. I think the new bios is on A302, not sure.

If that still doesn't work then try hooking up to a external display and trying it while running on a external display, even a TV, as the HDMI port on the laptop uses a direct connection to the Nvdia GPU.

If all that still doesn't work, try contact ASUS technical support, but most likely they will ask you to send it in for repairs.

Ok i will try these thank you.

kyildirim24 wrote:
Ok i will try these thank you.

Oh and thee battery did drain once while the frame drops was happening but it only happened once.

kyildirim24 wrote:
Oh and thee battery did drain once while the frame drops was happening but it only happened once.

Ok, Try those steps, Just remember to back up your files so you dont loose them, also check that your power brick for the laptop is the correct one, i think its 230w. Sometimes if the laptop doesn't get enough power it discharges the laptop, so just see if the power brick is still functioning,
Also see the GPU usage, if the usage is constant then the GPU is fine, but if its using 80% and then drops to 30% and back up to 80% then theirs a issue with the Motherboard or power.

TEIX wrote:
Ok, Try those steps, Just remember to back up your files so you dont loose them, also check that your power brick for the laptop is the correct one, i think its 230w. Sometimes if the laptop doesn't get enough power it discharges the laptop, so just see if the power brick is still functioning,
Also see the GPU usage, if the usage is constant then the GPU is fine, but if its using 80% and then drops to 30% and back up to 80% then theirs a issue with the Motherboard or power.

Idk what exactly is happening. My usage was at 43% at 144 frames and it stayed the same when my frames dropped to 20 and my mhz dropped too.

kyildirim24 wrote:
Idk what exactly is happening. My usage was at 43% at 144 frames and it stayed the same when my frames dropped to 20 and my mhz dropped too.

Have you tried a clean install yet?

Is the problem sorted?