cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Freezing Even Without OC

Dazkey69
Level 7
Greetings,

I am officially out of ideas (from my limited knowledge) on this one.

These are my specs.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme X299
Processor: Intel Core i9 7980XE BIOS 1704
Processor Cooling: Premium Nickel Plated Copper CPU Cooling Block
Heat Exchanger Array: Premium Copper Core Radiators- 240 (2x120mm) + 360 (3x120mm) copper core solderless radiator with high airflow fans
BiTurbo Pump Array: BiTurbo Dual Laing DDC Vario Pumps
Reservoir: Dual Reservoir- 400mL Bitspower Oversized Reservoir and Redundant Backup Reservoir
Memory: 128GB HyperX FURY DDR4-2666 (8x16GB)
Graphics Card: Dual NVIDIA Titan Xp 12GB GDDR5X [SLI]
GPU Liquid Cooling: Dual Card EK Supremacy - Nickel
Power Supply: 1600W EVGA SuperNOVA P2 - Platinum Certified
OS Drive: [M.2 NVME SSD] 2TB Samsung® 960 Pro
Storage 1: [SSD] 4TB Samsung 860 EVO
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional

This is my problem.

The computer randomly freeze for no apparent reason forcing me to hard reset the computer (no BSOD). Happens when I'm playing a game (i.e. Watch Dogs 2), leave it idle for a while, or the middle of surfing the web.

At first, I thought it was the memory. Spent a day testing my memory with MemTest64. No errors.

Uses Intel's Processor Diagnostics Tool to test and stress test the CPU. All passed.

Stress tested the GPU (not OC) with 3D Mark and PC Mark. All passed.

Reloaded my system with a clean copy of Windows 10 (all current drivers from ASUS site) and tested it. Problem still occurred in less than a day.

Loaded the "Load Optimized Default" in BIOS". Problem still occurred in less than a day.

Using the Loaded Default, I manually set the processor speed to 2600Mhz (no overclock on CPU or Memory). Problem still occurred, though it took a lot longer to happen. Was good for two days. Then after hard resetting, it happened in less than a day.

I even went as far as disabling Intel SpeedStep, Turbo Mode, and Autonomous Core C-State just to see what would happen. No real change and problem still occurred in less than a day.

Note that the CPU's and GPU's temp never exceeded 67°C

The only other problem I could think it could be is the voltage settings set in BIOS. Since most are set to Auto, I can only guess what they are really set to.

But that's only an idea.

Any ideas on what I should do or change before I go insane?

Your inputs are greatly appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

Riicckk
Level 7
Bios 1704 has been known to cause random freezes with some rigs. Most likely that.

Riicckk wrote:
Bios 1704 has been known to cause random freezes with some rigs. Most likely that.

Lovely.

But is was still doing the same thing when I was on 1603. Unless that one was screwed up too.

Interesting...

Maybe the computer just doesn't love me.

CharlieH
Level 8
May I start by saying what a very nice rig. I wanted that same 7980xe when I bought mine for the R6E but the BIOS was in it's early stages and it would not run correctly programs would just crash on me so I ended up switching the CPU for a 7900X. Two thoughts with the defaults I have read in other threads OCing the memory got rid of the hangs (also something with the timing too setting it to T2 maybe, you might search around a bit there is a thread on this hang condition already)? Second I know you have probably done this but in Windows Power Management setting it to high performance to ensure the CPU runs at 100% all the time.

CharlieH wrote:
May I start by saying what a very nice rig. I wanted that same 7980xe when I bought mine for the R6E but the BIOS was in it's early stages and it would not run correctly programs would just crash on me so I ended up switching the CPU for a 7900X. Two thoughts with the defaults I have read in other threads OCing the memory got rid of the hangs (also something with the timing too setting it to T2 maybe, you might search around a bit there is a thread on this hang condition already)? Second I know you have probably done this but in Windows Power Management setting it to high performance to ensure the CPU runs at 100% all the time.

Thanks.

I did look around on the threads and found a few possibilities. I found a few that said to raise the CPU and System Agent Voltage. Tried it a few hours ago, no real change. One of the settings (I think it was increasing the SA Voltage) made the 900W UPS the computer was plugged into alarm because it was drawing more power that it could supply when I ran the stress test.

I did have this overclocked once before and was stable for a while, then the freezing happened. Note that the configuration it was on was the AI Tuner's OC settings. I have no real experience on what to tweak (i.e. voltage, offsets, etc) and half the setting in the Tweaking Menu of the BIOS I have no clue what they do.

And I have Windows Power Management settings set to high performance so the CPU is running at 100% all the time.

Right now, I'd settle for a stable system even if it means not overclocking it. Would be a waste though.

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Is it Freezing with a sound loop in games? it does sound memory related but it could be your IMC which you might need to fine turn for that amount of ram, have you tried just running 1 stick or 2 and see if the issue is still there?

LiveOrDie wrote:
Is it Freezing with a sound loop in games? it does sound memory related but it could be your IMC which you might need to fine turn for that amount of ram, have you tried just running 1 stick or 2 and see if the issue is still there?

Not sure if I call it a sound loop. It just freezes leaving a loud sound that loud enough to wake the house. Only way to stop it is to do a hard shutdown. If that's your idea of a sound loop, then yes.

The day I spent testing the memory, took out every stick and tested the memory in pairs. Never tried running on a lower amount to see if the problem returned. That's an option to try though.

And out of curious, how does one fine tune for that amount of RAM?

Dazkey69 wrote:
Not sure if I call it a sound loop. It just freezes leaving a loud sound that loud enough to wake the house. Only way to stop it is to do a hard shutdown. If that's your idea of a sound loop, then yes.

The day I spent testing the memory, took out every stick and tested the memory in pairs. Never tried running on a lower amount to see if the problem returned. That's an option to try though.

And out of curious, how does one fine tune for that amount of RAM?

It sort of sounds like a machine gun it will repeat a sound over and over something like this , System Agent Voltage (VCCSA) normally helps, have you also tried running your ram at rated speeds?

LiveOrDie wrote:
It sort of sounds like a machine gun it will repeat a sound over and over something like this , System Agent Voltage (VCCSA) normally helps, have you also tried running your ram at rated speeds?

Yep, the freeze sounds just like that Youtube video.

And yes, I tried running the RAM at the rated speed (2400). I did that and set processor speed to 2.6Ghz (no OC).

CharlieH
Level 8
And back to the memory even if you don't OC/XMP. When I have memory issues and the defaults on it are set via XMP the three things I generally have to contend with to stabilize memory when I OC it are: speed (I generally run it around 3200 any speeds higher can be tricky to stabilize and the benefits are marginally imho, you have 2666 so you should be good here, I also buy faster memory than I run it at, at default your memory should be running slower than 2666, I believe it will run at 2133), VCCSA voltage, and VCCIO voltage. So those are some things you might want to look at.

One other question is the RAM you purchased in the officially supported RAM list? I always get my memory based on that list and do not deviate from it.