cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[GL703VM] Thermal throttling, high temp, lagging in game

skejcikk1
Level 7
Hello everyone, i still got problems with my laptop ROG Strix Scar GL703VM. Today i seen that when im playing in FIFA18, the temps are going up to 100C and i got lags and game is freezing time to time. Also when i play AC Unity i got 35-50 FPS on Medium graphic what is unnormal for me, because i got normally above 60FPS on Very High/Ultra. Someone have idea what to do with this ****ty laptop to get better experience? I think about repasting with some better paste (now i have Arctic MX-4 and Arctic thermopad). Better paste i mean more expensive maybe. I really don't want to drilling holes in bottom cover 😞
I think about undervolting CPU & GPU but i really don't know how to do this, i want someone whe would lead me through the whole process.
1 REPLY 1

Matze2k0
Level 7
skejcikk1 wrote:
Hello everyone, i still got problems with my laptop ROG Strix Scar GL703VM. Today i seen that when im playing in FIFA18, the temps are going up to 100C and i got lags and game is freezing time to time. Also when i play AC Unity i got 35-50 FPS on Medium graphic what is unnormal for me, because i got normally above 60FPS on Very High/Ultra. Someone have idea what to do with this ****ty laptop to get better experience? I think about repasting with some better paste (now i have Arctic MX-4 and Arctic thermopad). Better paste i mean more expensive maybe. I really don't want to drilling holes in bottom cover 😞
I think about undervolting CPU & GPU but i really don't know how to do this, i want someone whe would lead me through the whole process.

I've done a repaste with my GL702VMK which is having the same issues. To be honest it made a difference but it ain't that much and it is not worth voiding your warranty. I've even cut holes in the bottom cover as suggested by many but still it is no where near good. Try undervolting your CPU with throttle stop. My is running at -135 mv stable on core and cache. This improved the temps by 4 degrees. The whole series starting from GL702 to the recent GL704 all have the same overheating issues. The cooling system cannot handle the heat at all. You can consider yourself lucky if the temps stay at 85 degress while undervolted.