cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silicone Lottery, 7th Time The Charm

Tonyboj
Level 7
Been reading this forum for while now and I must say there is a crazy amount of good advice and knowledge when you start digging. Thank you guys for that.

Alright. I put together my new rig during Christmas. But the benchmarks were not good enough. Since I'm addicted to PCMark I realized I hade to do something to boost the scores and my own happiness. I pulled two all nighters during the Easter-weekend and did a final rebuild of my workstation.

The Rig: 9980XE; 128GB DDR4; 1.5TB NVME, 2.5TB SSD, 14TB HDD; and my favourite part EVGA NU Audio
Cooling: EKWB waterblocks for CPU/VRM and GPU; Dual Radiators (60mm thick) 480mm + 360mm

With the cooling solution in place I get the following temperatures:

9980XE at stock - idle around 33C; full load P95 small FFTs 67C
9980XE at 4.4GHz with two cores at 4.7GHz - idle around 37C; full load P95 small FFTs 77C.

Questions:
1) How do I find out what this CPUs exact stock voltage is (for the overclock i used off-set 0.007 on the two turbo-cores)? Is it necessary?
2) Can't find a decent guide for overclocking X299. Do you know of any?
9 REPLIES 9

feedmeink
Level 12
I have 7980xe delided with liquid metal. If you want to know stock voltages, save bios profile, switch back to stock bios, test and record voltages you see in hwinfo64, then revert to your new bios and compare. I didn't follow any guide for x299, but would need to know a few factors. What mobo are you using, are you in manual voltage or adaptive. Is your end goal strictly benchmarks? I have custom loop with 3 360mm radiators with a delid and my idle is 24c and 65c at 4.7 adaptive voltage using 10 hour stress test with realbench. I personally don't use prime95. It is unrealistic in my opinion. Realbench is coherent to a realistic work load.

Nvm I see you have the rampage vi extreme
I have same mobo. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I spent countless days and hours experimenting with that bios and feel very confident in what the mobo can do.

feedmeink wrote:
Nvm I see you have the rampage vi extreme
I have same mobo. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I spent countless days and hours experimenting with that bios and feel very confident in what the mobo can do.

I would be thrilled with any and all information you can provide me. Right now I've been comfortably benchmarking 4.7 (2 cores) 4.4 (16c) with per core adjustment on the two 4.7 cores at adaptive offset 0.05v (rest of the settings XMP on, Asus MC on, AVX 3, AVX-512 5, By Specific Core, 2 cores at 4.7 with offset 0.007, rest 4.4 at auto, SVID disabled, CPU Load-line Calibration Level 3, CPU Current Capability [140%], VRM Spread Spectrum [Disabled], CPU Power Duty Control [T.Probe], CPU Power Phase Control [Extreme], CPU Power Thermal Control [125], DRAM Current Capability [100%].
Does the SVID disable the latter settings?
Temperatures at this level are okay, around 48c except during avx (rendering) when I reach 85c.

Also run a couple benchmarks with 2c at 4.8 rest at 4.4. This time I used adaptive offset of 0.015 on the 4.8-cores.

Okay, a specific question. Am I dabbling with the right settings or am I completely of the bat?
Are there some specific settings that give stability. Right now, if I lower the AVX offset I get a restart immediately at those workloads.

Okay, a specific question. Am I dabbling with the right settings or am I completely of the bat?
Are there some specific settings that give stability. Right now, if I lower the AVX offset I get a restart immediately at those workloads.

If you check hwinfo64 for voltages for each core durring stress test, are they different voltages? Or does it actually offset each core to the voltage you designate? I enable adaptive mode and negative offsett each core. Svid I leave enabled. If you were running in manual i would disable it. But the whole idea of adaptive is to save power, so I figure leaving on couldn't hurt any. Personally to start, what I did was offset all cores negative by -.001 (to start with). Avx set to 4ghz max. You can see the value at the top when you make your adjustments. Try setting all cores to 4.5 with an offset of -.001 on each core. Then load up windows, run stress test and record voltages. Decide what max voltage you are comfortable with. Look at hottest core and see the voltage. Adjust offset voltage per core to match highest voltage you are willing to go. Let's say at -.001 your voltage read in hwinfo is 1.25. But you feel that is too much and want to be at 1.18. Set your offset voltage to -.071 for that core (1.25-1.18=.07). And so on. If you need an extreme negative offset, just downclock the core. Then test again and verify change in voltage. In the end I got 4.7 on two highest cores and 4.6 on the rest. But don't try and mimic me. The delid and excessive rad space keep temperatures much better. Also look in hwinfo when stress testing. Make sure you are not thermal throttling. You could be thinking you are fine, but in reality throttling on multiple cores. If you get 4.5 or 4.6 that is considered pretty good. I don't recomend using more than 1.2 volts. But to be honest, even with 3 360mm radiators and high end fans, 1.2 is pushing it for me. I like to stay at 1.6 or 1.8 volts. Avx offset should be two numbers apart from eachother. So set 518 to whatever number gives you 4ghz. Then adjust the other by 2 from that. Adaptive mode seems to not stick to regular voltage offset. That's why I offset per core.

At benching I pushed my voltages. I do not recommend this, but I was able to boot at 5.1 two highest cores 5.0 on the rest using 1.35volts. But that is a bad idea and I would not run anything more than 1.25 for benching. For everyday use stick with 1.8 or below. I was benching at 5ghz all cores, passing firestrike ultra and timespy extreme. But idle temps on water were 45c. Max temps in the 100c range. Bad idea. But it was fun lol. Don't fry your chip!

I meant to say 1.16 and 1.18

Tonyboj
Level 7
Thank you for the feedback. I'll give it a shot. If the rumored AMD will best this 9980 in Cinebench the OC is really needed to defend my purchase. 😉

Tonyboj
Level 7
Instant crash in Prime95, everything else is stable. I "need" it stable in Prime95 since the stock configurations is rock solid in every and all benchmarking apps.

I read somewhere there where specific voltages at play depending on if the PC freezes or instantly restarts? Which is which? Low core voltage when restarting?

PSU Corsair AXi 1600W+EVGA T2 1000W
CPU 9980XE Custom Water 30C in idle 50-80C under load
MBO Rampage VI Extreme with waterblocks (VRM never over 45c)

OC voltages some cores <1.16V most around 1.14
OC 3 cores at 4.7GHZ, 9 cores at 4.4GHz rest at auto.

feedmeink
Level 12
Try lowering 2 highest cores to 4.5 and see if same thing occurs. If it still happens it is most likely related to avx offset
Are you using override voltage? Or adaptive voltage?