cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55 battery life

kahlilj
Level 8
I recently bought a used G55VW and love it! but I'm surprised at the short battery life. After staying on the charger over night, I unplugged it to see the battery estimated time left. it was just under 2 hours. I was fully expecting it to have at least 3+ hours after full charge. I tried this a few more times, but same result.
Is this a typical estimated battery life for these devices? I've never owned an ASUS before (mainly, HP, Ddell & Toshiba), so maybe this is typical?

And even after being fully charged it will only last about an hour or so on battery. This is with "conservative" battery power settings.

suggestions?
5 REPLIES 5

jdfrench3
Level 12
kahlilj wrote:
I recently bought a used G55VW and love it! but I'm surprised at the short battery life. After staying on the charger over night, I unplugged it to see the battery estimated time left. it was just under 2 hours. I was fully expecting it to have at least 3+ hours after full charge. I tried this a few more times, but same result.
Is this a typical estimated battery life for these devices? I've never owned an ASUS before (mainly, HP, Ddell & Toshiba), so maybe this is typical?

And even after being fully charged it will only last about an hour or so on battery. This is with "conservative" battery power settings.

suggestions?

Replace your battery with a new one.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Replace your battery with a new one.

ok, but my question is what is the usage time on a fully charged, new battery? how long could you expect it to last on a full charge? 3 hours? 5 hours?...

OK, my 10 second Google search rendered this article:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-G55VW-S1020V-Notebook.74851.0.html

In Battery Eater's 'Reader' test, with virtually no activity, no WLAN, minimum display brightness and all power-saving measures active, the G55VW stayed alive for 3 hours and 44 minutes. In a more realistic scenario--web surfing with medium display brightness--the laptop ran for 2 hours and 38 minutes. Oddly enough, the German version of the G55 performed better in all of the battery tests in spite of using the same methodology. The different panels could explain some of the difference, but other factors could also be in effect, such as differences in battery cell configuration.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
OK, my 10 second Google search rendered this article:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-G55VW-S1020V-Notebook.74851.0.html

lol! You know what's funny is that that site was the primary site I used to compare various laptops before purchasing this G55. I hadn't even thought to go back to that same source to check into battery life. During my research that was not a factor or concern, but since getting it and the battery discharging in less than an hour it is!

Thanks for your help. I was hopeful of getting firsthand info from other G55 users on what they have experienced, but in absence of that, this is a good basis 🙂

kahlilj wrote:
I was hopeful of getting firsthand info from other G55 users on what they have experienced, but in absence of that, this is a good basis 🙂

I also have a G55VW that I've had since new 6 years ago. I think, for normal computer usage, you can plan on 2 and a half hours with a new battery. For gaming, leave it plugged in. Truthfully, although mine has been partly superseded by a new G703GI, I leave the G55 plugged in all the time its in use. If you need something portable, there are many better choices. My G55 is still doing great but can't handle the newer games very well.

Mine came with Win7 and I recently migrated it to Win10, which didn't do the battery life any favors.