ROG Member Array

GL504GM - Lag on second monitor

Hey Guys!

Recently I bought a ROG Gl504 and I'm satisfied with it but currently facing with an annoying problem. When I'm using the notebook with a second monitor, which is a 60hz LG Ips monitor, it's lagging constantly, feels like its locked on 30fps... (Originally the notebook's has a 144hz refresh rate) After reading several forum threads it seems like the only solution is to buy a 144hz gaming monitor. To be honest, after buying a 1500 USD notebook I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars again for an enjoyable gaming experience... Although, I'm hoping that I can find a solution here.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Benike777 View Post
    Hey Guys!

Recently I bought a ROG Gl504 and I'm satisfied with it but currently facing with an annoying problem. When I'm using the notebook with a second monitor, which is a 60hz LG Ips monitor, it's lagging constantly, feels like its locked on 30fps... (Originally the notebook's has a 144hz refresh rate) After reading several forum threads it seems like the only solution is to buy a 144hz gaming monitor. To be honest, after buying a 1500 USD notebook I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars again for an enjoyable gaming experience... Although, I'm hoping that I can find a solution here.
    I have the same problem and I find that a workaround is to reboot the laptop.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by ryannguyen9 View Post
    I have the same problem and I find that a workaround is to reboot the laptop.
    I know what you mean, after extreme lagas it looks like a solution. But after comparing it with the laptop screen itself, setting it to 60hz it still not smooth enough as I said it feels like 30fps.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I know what you mean, after extreme lagas it looks like a solution. But after comparing it with the laptop screen itself, setting it to 60hz it still not smooth enough as I said it feels like 30fps.
    *Do your laptop have the latest Nvidia driver and bios? Also, do you verify the monitor and HDMI cable work?*

ROG Member Array

*Do your laptop have the latest Nvidia driver and bios? Also, do you verify the monitor and HDMI cable work?*
    I have the latest NVIDIA drivers, bios is not the latest. Thought about the issue can be that the notebook has HDMI 2.0 port, and maybe it can mess up with regular HDMI cable. So confused right now...

ROG Enthusiast Array

I have the latest NVIDIA drivers, bios is not the latest. Thought about the issue can be that the notebook has HDMI 2.0 port, and maybe it can mess up with regular HDMI cable. So confused right now...

It should work regardless of HDMI version. Do you notice high usage of CPU when you use the external monitor?

ROG Member Array

It should work regardless of HDMI version. Do you notice high usage of CPU when you use the external monitor?
    I think it's reasonable, I'm also using a cooling pad for the best possible performance and safety, but with this issue I cannot use it for gaming...

ROG Enthusiast Array

I have the same setup as yours. The issue comes up randomly and for me, a restart always solve the problem

New ROGer Array

I have the same lagging problem when I am using Mini Display Port and my settings is set to DISPLAY 2 ONLY!. But when I use Duplicate monitors It works fine, which is weird. But I still get the flashing screen on my 2nd monitor whenever I watch some videos.

Hope it helps lol

ROG Enthusiast Array

I found a temporary solution which is better than reset the whole laptop, using the following command from cmd:

Code:
    taskkill /f /im dwm.exe
    Even better you can create cmd shortcut (run as administrator).