cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newer ASUS motherboards without ROG EXT header for OC Panel?

R5Eandme
Level 12
I use the ASUS OC Panel mounted in a 5.25" bay just for readouts of the CPU temp and cpu fan rpm, plus clock frequency and multiplier. Is it my imagination or are the newer ASUS motherboards without the ROG EXT header for cabling to the OC Panel? The ROG EXT connector uses one USB 2.0 mobo header plus a special purpose ROG Ext panel that looks similar to a USB 2.0 panel.

(1) Has ASUS stopped providing ROG_EXT headers on ROG motherboards
(2) Is there a USB interface device and driver to adapt an OC Panel to a ROG motherboard that does not have the ROG_EXT header? Or does ASUS have plans to produce such an interface?

Thanks!
21 REPLIES 21

Vlada011
Level 10
That's 18-1 PIN ROG EXT
Rampage V E10 have, Rampage VI Extreme have ROG Extension Connector as well.
Rampage VI Apex have. Omega don't have.

Vlada011 wrote:
That's 18-1 PIN ROG EXT
Rampage V E10 have, Rampage VI Extreme have ROG Extension Connector as well.
Rampage VI Apex have. Omega don't have.

Thanks Vlada011. Also the Zenith Extreme and Zenith Alpha don't have ROG_EXT. I am just wondering if newer mobos are less likely to have ROG-EXT than older mobos, if ASUS is abandoning it over time.

R5Eandme wrote:
Thanks Vlada011. Also the Zenith Extreme and Zenith Alpha don't have ROG_EXT. I am just wondering if newer mobos are less likely to have ROG-EXT than older mobos, if ASUS is abandoning it over time.

the Zenith Extreme have
Zenith Alpha don't have

OLD

NEW

Dimitrios1971 wrote:
the Zenith Extreme have
Zenith Alpha don't have

Thank you Dimitrios1971, I see that. It looks like if one is interested in hardware telemetry, the future is with ASUS Node. I don't yet see any 3rd party devices for it yet, but in the future they should be available for sure. It might even bring back 5.25" bays:D

Vlada011
Level 10
Looks like they abandon.
They are very fast with innovations and very rear something long stay on market.
Most of high end motherboards get new stuff.

I can't find to buy ASUS ROG Universal VGA Holder, ASUS give with several motherboards but now stop to offer and him with newer models.
And I didn't saw more useful stuff. Someone to offer me change with SupremeFX Hi-Fi device I got with RVE10 I would change immediately.
It's stupid to keep styrofoam in corner of GPU.

Yep! Last motherboards to have the ROG_EXT headers are the ROG Maximus IX series.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
The header was superseded by ASUS Node. As an open standard, it allows monitoring and control via third-party devices. Chassis such as the InWin303 support OLED control.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
The header was superseded by ASUS Node. As an open standard, it allows monitoring and control via third-party devices. Chassis such as the InWin303 support OLED control.

Thank you Silent Scone.

This ASUS Node sounds exciting: open source protocol for hardware telemetry and control? This opens up a lot of possibilities for 3rd party monitors/controllers or maybe even DIY monitors/controllers maybe using Raspberry Pi? I can't find any documentation on ASUS Node other than a picture of a 12-1 mobo header labeled "NODE". Can you please suggest good documentation, or is it too new for it to be available?

Thank you

Oreaba
Level 7
I have found a solution.
I have a Front Base Panel, like this one:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessories/ROG_Front_Base/
It has a ROG_EXT connector.

I have recently bought a MAXIMUS XI HERO, which has NO ROG_EXT connector and has Two 5x2pins 2 USB 2.0 Header.
I have simple created this USB Cable extension, One end has a male pins to go to the Front Panel Cable, and the other end has female pins to go to the mobotherboard.

Then we will insert one end here in the blue part.
Like this:

And the other end will go here ON THE BLUE SPOT:

like this:

That is it! you need to connect one USB pins only (the blue).

Last step is to install the Driver:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/FRONTBASE_10128.zip

And it will work, like this:

Caution:
Make sure you extend the USB cable properly, do not confuse the pins order.

You must not connect any other pins except for the ones in the blue area.
Connecting the other side too with a second USB cable, will create conflicts and problems on your system, like this:

This is how you connect your front panel to an ASUS MoBo that has no ROG_EXT connector to it.
Works pretty neat here!