cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dominus Extreme - single vs dual PSU performance (and the struggle to find a case)

tmorgan4
Level 7
I just received my ROG Dominus Extreme and it's a masterpiece. Due to the size it has been extremely difficult to find a case so far. This board is far larger (14"x14") than any other EEB board (most common seems to be 12"x13") so I don't quite understand why it was labeled as EEB form factor.

Issues aside, could someone with in depth technical understanding of this board and its split power-plane design elaborate on PSU choice? I currently have two EVGA 1600 T2 PSUs and I'm considering downsizing but this a "as close to zero compromises as possible" build. It is far in excess of the wattage I need but I'm after high quality, reliable, clean power to make the board operate as designed.

Is there any performance advantage of running dual PSUs if I don't need the extra wattage (beyond the obvious such a redundancy and additional cables)? I.e. is the board operating with lower performance by not being fed independent power from dual PSUs?

Configurations I've been considering include:
- 1x EVGA 1600 T2
- 2x EVGA 1600 T2
- 2x EVGA 1000 T2
- I strongly considered 1 or 2 Corsair AX series power supplies but there are an overwhelming number of people complaining about failed units
- open to any other suggestions

Thanks in advance for any advice.
2 REPLIES 2

Vlada011
Level 10
You are first with ASUS Dominus Extreme motherboard I heard.
I'm jealous on you definitely. But let's say like this... in my part of the world building my computer need same effort as building Dominus Extreme and Intel Xeon Platinum in United States. There I would have 6x 16GB DDR4 and Domunus Extreme 100%.

Where you live? If you live in Europe you can buy EVGA 2000W PSU.
If believe EVGA 1600 T2 will be enough for single GPU, motherboard and processor.

I think ASUS Support here should be better, this forum is in clinic death.
They should say what they thought during build about Power Supplies and Dominus Extreme, dual motherboard, single 1600W, or ...?

Lian Li PC-V3000 could be modified probably easy for dual PSU.
And it's nicest Full Tower case on market.

Lian Li PE-01B - Power Supply Mounting Bracket

Or you could only cut other side.
But that's Rolls Royce among PC Cases, full aluminium and build quality and precision of work and finish is unmatched with any PC case at the moment.

tinmann840
Level 7

Come to Daddy