cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help with BIOS!!!!

slpstang02
Level 7
Hi, I hope i am in the right area. I recently purchased an G73JH off ebay. However the bios is locked with a password. Does anybody know a working backdoor password or know of any way to reset it? Please!!

I have tried using different software's (Hirens boot disc etc). I have been unsuccessful in all attempts. Please does anybody have any ideas?! Thank you
Republic of Gamers
ASUS G73JH I7 8g ram
Radeon HD5870
25 REPLIES 25

HiVizMan
Level 40
Contact the person you bought if from and ask them. That is the most logical answer.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Contact the person you bought if from and ask them. That is the most logical answer.

Trust me i tried. He can't remember the password.
Republic of Gamers
ASUS G73JH I7 8g ram
Radeon HD5870

BrodyBoy
Level 10
slpstang02 wrote:
Hi, I hope i am in the right area. I recently purchased an G73JH off ebay. However the bios is locked with a password. Does anybody know a working backdoor password or know of any way to reset it? Please!!

I have tried using different software's (Hirens boot disc etc). I have been unsuccessful in all attempts. Please does anybody have any ideas?! Thank you

The easiest solution would be be to get the password from the seller, as HiVizMan suggested.

If that doesn't work, I think a CMOS reset will clear the BIOS and reset it to defaults. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that applying to BIOS passwords....I never use one 'cause I'd be too apt to forget it!)

Unfortunately, a CMOS reset in laptops usually requires disassembly to the point that you can physically pop out the CMOS battery. If you have to resort to this, you can find G73 disassembly guides & videos online.

BrodyBoy wrote:
The easiest solution would be be to get the password from the seller, as HiVizMan suggested.

If that doesn't work, I think a CMOS reset will clear the BIOS and reset it to defaults. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that applying to BIOS passwords....I never use one 'cause I'd be too apt to forget it!)

Unfortunately, a CMOS reset in laptops usually requires disassembly to the point that you can physically pop out the CMOS battery. If you have to resort to this, you can find G73 disassembly guides & videos online.

From what i have heard, Is that removing the battery on the motherboard does not work for these latptops due to a seperate module that retains the password info? I dunno.

I spoke to the previous owner who stated that he had taken the cmos battery out of the mother board for like 9 hours and replaced it and it still showed that it was locked with a password.
Republic of Gamers
ASUS G73JH I7 8g ram
Radeon HD5870

slpstang02 wrote:
From what i have heard, Is that removing the battery on the motherboard does not work for these latptops due to a seperate module that retains the password info? I dunno.

The only two user possibilities I can think of are resetting the BIOS (as previously described), or performing an emergency BIOS flash. I don't believe a "regular" BIOS flash will erase the user settings. though there's no harm in trying. I'm not sure that the emergency flash erases that data either, but if nothing else works, it's also worth a try.

slpstang02 wrote:

I can't really see this being true? Why would ASUS allow you to clear the CMOS and reset the BIOS to defaults, but then not allow you to get back in??? I mean the point of a password lock is to prevent people from entering the BIOS at boot and mess with your settings...if they could just do it by shorting the clear CMOS jumper in a desktop without even having to worry about the password, what would be the point?
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

This is the emergency flash procedure for AMI Aptio BIOSes. From anecdotal reports I've read, it does not work 100% of the time, so please consider this and use at your own discretion. (I have never had to use this procedure myself, so I can't be any more specific that these instructions as commonly described online.)

• Download the latest version of the BIOS file for your computer. BE SURE you get one specifically for your model.
  • Extract the downloaded zipfile, and rename the extracted BIOS file to AMIBOOT.ROM.
  • Copy the BIOS file to a USB thumbdrive formatted in FAT32.
  • With the computer OFF, insert the thumbdrive into a USB 2.0 port.
  • Turn on the system. Press and hold CTRL+HOME.
  • The system should access the thumbrive (indicated LED will light up).
  • Confirm that you want to flash the BIOS, if prompted.
  • You may get either a reboot prompt or 4 beeps to indicate the flash is complete, or the computer may just shut down on its own.
  • Remove the USB thumbdrive, and restart the computer.

Apparently, some models can be particular about the name used for the BIOS. IF this procedure as described doesn't work, there are some other naming options you can try.

I formatted my drive and downloaded the newest bios. I plugged it in and held down ctrl + home, it bypassed the usb and windows started as normal. Do i need to have usb as boot primary? I dont think i can access that option in bios 😞

I cant change the boot order. Its Cd drive then HDD.
Republic of Gamers
ASUS G73JH I7 8g ram
Radeon HD5870

Retired
Not applicable
This sound a little shady......:cool: