cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JX not booting after replacing CPU fan (only front power and battery LEDs light)

linear214
Level 7
Hello all,

So I have dismantled my G750JX once before, about 2 years ago now, which went well. Recently it became clear to me that the CPU fan was on its last legs, so I ordered a new one to replace it.

I removed the screen and the keyboard panel, and swapped out the fan. (I also swapped out my optical bay drive caddy with a new one.) After reassembling everything, it wouldn't boot. The only signs of life are the Power and Battery LED lights on the front of the laptop. I thought maybe the new fan was DOA, and it wasn't booting for that reason. But after swapping the old fan back in, there is no change; only the front power and battery lights turn on, no fans or display. Not even the power button LED lights up.

Any ideas? The computer was working fine until yesterday (except the janky CPU fan).

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

jdfrench3
Level 12
Disassemble and check all cables and connections.

Can you boot into the BIOS?
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Disassemble and check all cables and connections.

Can you boot into the BIOS?

No, I can't boot into the BIOS. Again, there are no signs of life except for the two LEDs in front: power and battery. The fans don't spin and the display remains off.

And okay, I will do a (nearly) full disassembly soon, so that I can check all the cables and connections.

The Five Steps of the Boot Sequence
Power Up. The first step of any boot process is applying power to the machine. ...
Power-On Self Test. The next step in the boot process is called the POST, or power on self test. ...
Find a Boot Device. ...
Load the Operating System. ...
Transfer Control.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

linear214
Level 7
Sorry for the bump, just wanted to post a final update on this.

After completely dismantling and reassembling, as well as replacing the CMOS battery, the laptop works perfectly again. Better than brand new, even. I'm not sure whether it was the reassembly or the CMOS battery swap that actually fixed it, but hey it works 🙂