cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi,just bought a refurb system ,and it has an asus dual gtx 1070 o8g

tkobo
Level 7
The system hard locks and or crashes alot when i play graphics intensive games....This card has the micron ram . Im thinking its either the power supply ,or the card.
If i turn down some settings ,and others off (AA) .I can run some of the games that would hard lock ,like skyrim.

Is there anything i need to know about this card that could help ? I heard there was a problem with the micron ram , and there was a bios fix, but when i run the bios patch it tells me i dont need to do so....
12 REPLIES 12

ninezerofive
Level 10
First of all make sure it's not ram, download memtest86, do 8 runs just to be sure.

I ran the windows ram test (mdsched.exe) and it found no problems ,but ill run memtest86 also.... 8 times ?

Hmmm,i dont have a flash drive ,is that the only way to run memtest86

tkobo wrote:
I ran the windows ram test and it found no problems ,but ill run memtest86 also.... 8 times ?

Yea 8, to be safe and exclude it from the list, unfortunately you do need a USB.

How much ram is in this PC, if you are running like 2x4GB then you might be fine in windows but when loading all ram up in games, a small sector that is corrupted might crash it.

16 gb 2x8
The windows test runs 2 tests,no idea if that one test per stack ,or 2 separate tests covering all 16

tkobo wrote:
16 gb 2x8
The windows test runs 2 tests,no idea if that one test per stack ,or 2 separate tests covering all 16

You can do a cheap test, both of your rams being faulty is unlikely. Do the following, take one stick out and try to play the game, if it crashes switch rams and see if it crashes with other stick of ram. Mind you, use different slots when doing this, the problem might be in motherboard slot as well.

tkobo wrote:
I ran the windows ram test (mdsched.exe) and it found no problems ,but ill run memtest86 also.... 8 times ?

HCI's memtest runs in Windows and has a free version. You just have to spawn multiple copies to fill up your memory.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Super_Gnome
Level 11
tkobo wrote:
The system hard locks and or crashes alot when i play graphics intensive games....This card has the micron ram . Im thinking its either the power supply ,or the card.
If i turn down some settings ,and others off (AA) .I can run some of the games that would hard lock ,like skyrim.

Is there anything i need to know about this card that could help ? I heard there was a problem with the micron ram , and there was a bios fix, but when i run the bios patch it tells me i dont need to do so....

In one of my rigs I have two 8G 1070s (the memory is Micron according to GPU-Z) and a 1200 watt PSU. I have problems when the drivers are not up to date. Otherwise I get stutters when games are too memory intensive (like running two accounts of WOW with the settings not toned down). I always have my Windows power settings set to "Performance Mode" because that can be a problem. You can also turn off unnecessary programs running using Task Manager. My computers have always liked to load things unnecessarily so I've disabled them or even uninstalled them altogether. I would download HWMonitor to see what is happening with temperatures, etc. myself. Of course you have probably thought of these things, but if you are like me you might forget little obvious things sometimes... Diagnosing problems correctly is not always as simple as it seems. Hopefully you have better luck than I do sometimes with these things and this helps.

Thanks all , still working on it. Still not having much luck . And yeah , i find i forgot something to try constantly...

My power supply is what seems to me , really low end....allied 480 watt SL-8500btx > im debating scrapping up the cash to get a much better one. Right now im thinking its either a problem with the video card itself (the micron ram thing comes to mind) ,or the power supply .The power supply i think i can afford to replace.

i have been watching the temps, as i first thought the card was simply overheating ,but the hard locks were happening at only about 80c ,and id been told the card should go to 94c before it started to throttle..And the cpu temp stays pretty solid.

Yup, I'd research what kind of PSU you need for two 1070s. I Googled "two 1070s PSU needed" and this was the first page that came up. The first guy said 850 watts. I myself think you are better to err on the side of having too much power than too little. I don't know if 850 watts is ideal, I'd research it more, but for what it's worth here is the page:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/626393-what-psu-fully-modular-do-i-need-to-run-2-gtx-1070-g1-ga...