cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold Boot Problems

JustWorkAlready
Level 7
Hey Everyone! First post here, so please let me know if I'm not providing enough information.

The main problem is consistency. I have overclocked my CPU to 3.8 across all 8 cores and am running my ram at 3200mhz. I've run Prime Torture test for quite a while and system is stable once it boots up, but I'm having some serious trouble getting it to consistently Cold Boot without getting all sorts of errors codes. Once I get into BIOS and then restart, it will boot fine and stand up to torture test etc... I've double checked that the hardware is indeed running at stated clock speeds with HWinfo and Windows just to make sure that it isn't BIOS saying one thing and reality being something else.

The error codes that I've seen are:
7A w/ CPU light (by far the most common on cold boot)
0D

My Overclock Voltage Overview:
CPU: 1.373 (Offset Mode)
Ram: 1.36 (Manual)
SOC: 1.092 (Manual)

I'm happy to provide more information as required, but I'm just not sure what that would be. I've only been overclocking and such for 2 or so years and only on this setup, so I'm new to the whole thing. Again, my main issue is getting consistent boot up, not this constant failed start and restart crap.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

My setup is:

Crosshair Hero VI
Ryzen 1700X
Corsair 110i Cooling
Ripjaws V 32GB, 3200
Nitro Sapphire RX480
512GB SSD
2TB WD Black
1 REPLY 1

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi and Welcome to ROG 🙂

Crosshair VI Hero came out with a less than acceptable Bios (understandable being rushed for the new AM4 platform and had many unsuccessful updates (for some) since (depending on your individual configuration).
I tried many Beta Bios as I also experienced the cold boot bug. Not too big a deal as I rarely power down my system (Just sleep mode) however when I did power down the Bios did not retain my personal settings and defaulted to Lower frequency and RAM timings. I settled on Bios 6201 which worked for me and was the most stable.

Can't help with Qcode 7A nor OD being reserved micro codes. 22 is pre memory PCH initialization and 55 means no memory installed.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]