cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing and wont boot/POST

hurrakan
Level 7
It's been fine for months but has started randomly freezing and then wont boot or POST - no signal to monitor.

Motherboard is Maximus X CODE. All BIOS (version 1704) settings are optimized defaults. Some Q-Codes I've seen are:
A0

According to G.Skill, the RAM (F4-3000C15Q-32GTZR) is on the QVL for this board: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3000c15q-32gtzr

However it is NOT on the QVL according to Asus: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_X_FORMULA/MEMORY_1226.pdf

The only 32GB kit mentioned in the Asus QVL is F4-3000C15Q-32GRK, which is actually a quad channel kit optimized for X99 ... ?

The problems started after I have filled up the SATA ports with HDDs. Do I need to press the Clear CMOS button ? Should I update BIOS to 1801?

I've only had this motherboard for a few months - should I RMA it? And/or change RAM?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

chevell65
Level 12
Using certain older HDD's with these newer chip sets will cause these types of problems. I've had the same issues when trying to use ANY older hardware with these Z370 systems.

Two of the HDDs are brand new - WD Red Pro 6TB and WD Red Pro 2TB (both the latest models).
Another is older WD Red 3TB (WD30EFRX).

Also added a Samsung 850 Evo 500GB.

Having real trouble bootign now... I guess I will start with unplugging the 3TB and see if it makes any difference.

chevell65
Level 12
Yep that is the best plan of attack for now.

I've also had very similar booting problems with older wireless AC PCI devices, even ones made by Asus.

I unplugged the 3TB HDD as well as the 850 Evo - and then could not boot the system at all - even with clearing CMOS, BIOS Safe Boot button etc.

Eventually I removed all of the RAM modules and put them back in again. I then managed to get to the BIOS and I updated it from 1704 to 1801. After that I managed to get into Windows and used the computer for a few hours with no problem! Will see how it goes.