cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20 with Intel 8th & 9th Gen Coffee Lake Processors

spartan_hoplite
Level 10
This started months ago when I opened ver.1402 G20ci Bios with MMtools. I found out that this latest G20ci bios have coffelake intel 8th gen microcode inside. Asus must be prepared for coffe lake processors with G20 intel 200 chipset, but intel didnt allow it.
This made me curious to try the coffelake processors with my G20ci. so I tried i5 8400 on it, but it didn`t work.
With some research finnaly i found that intel not allow intel 200 chipset board to recognize coffe lake processor if the board using intel ME 11.8.x.xxxx firmware, so i downgrade the firmware to 11.7.0.1229 with flash programmer.
And voila, i5 8400 was detected, and runs well. Then i tried i7 8700, it didnt work, but after learning from here: https://www.win-raid.com/t3413f16-GUIDE-Coffee-Lake-CPUs-on-Skylake-and-Kaby-Lake-motherboards.html finally i am able to make it works.

Not stopping there, i am also tried 9th gen CPUs by adding another microcode, tried i5 9400f and i7 9700k, both works well.

Now I am using Intel Core i9 9900k on my G20ci.
The main problem is the Board`s VRM get very hot when running 6 core processor and above. So I put extra heatsinks on the vrms chip.
i9 9900k with 16 thread wont run stable, VRM gets too hot easily and pc will shut off automatically when running apps. Then I disabled the Hyper threading and runs with all 8 core without HT, it works well.

34 REPLIES 34

XeonInside
Level 7
spartan_hoplite wrote:
This started months ago when I opened ver.1402 G20ci Bios with MMtools. I found out that this latest G20ci bios have coffelake intel 8th gen microcode inside. Asus must be prepared for coffe lake processors with G20 intel 200 chipset, but intel didnt allow it.
This made me curious to try the coffelake processors with my G20ci. so I tried i5 8400 on it, but it didn`t work.
With some research finnaly i found that intel not allow intel 200 chipset board to recognize coffe lake processor if the board using intel ME 11.8.x.xxxx firmware, so i downgrade the firmware to 11.7.0.1229 with flash programmer.
And voila, i5 8400 was detected, and runs well. Then i tried i7 8700, it didnt work, but after learning from here: https://www.win-raid.com/t3413f16-GUIDE-Coffee-Lake-CPUs-on-Skylake-and-Kaby-Lake-motherboards.html finally i am able to make it works.

Not stopping there, i am also tried 9th gen CPUs by adding another microcode, tried i5 9400f and i7 9700k, both works well.

Now I am using Intel Core i9 9900k on my G20ci.
The main problem is the Board`s VRM get very hot when running 6 core processor and above. So I put extra heatsinks on the vrms chip.
i9 9900k with 16 thread wont run stable, VRM gets too hot easily and pc will shut off automatically when running apps. Then I disabled the Hyper threading and runs with all 8 core without HT, it works well.

Hi really impressed by your work, I’ve been struggled with making a 6/8 core CPU w/ HT boot on my G20CI for months, would you be so kind to share the modded BIOS? Thanks in advanced!

XeonInside wrote:
Hi really impressed by your work, I’ve been struggled with making a 6/8 core CPU w/ HT boot on my G20CI for months, would you be so kind to share the modded BIOS? Thanks in advanced!

Hi can you share your bios, my modded g20ci only work for 8cpu. your help will be greatly appreciated. thank you

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
it sounds like more power issues, as the i9 9900k is 95tdp and the cpu I assume you had in the system was a i7 6700 which is 65tdp. the power brick is only 180watts to supply the whole motherboard. when you disable the hyper Threading then your pretty much making it a i7 6700.

Welsh Whoopee wrote:
it sounds like more power issues, as the i9 9900k is 95tdp and the cpu I assume you had in the system was a i7 6700 which is 65tdp. the power brick is only 180watts to supply the whole motherboard. when you disable the hyper Threading then your pretty much making it a i7 6700.

it`s not the tdp, but the motherboard vrms cannot handle the high current, gets too hot very fast. i9 9900k without hyper threading is equal to i7 9700k, almost twice faster than i7 6700.

hi togheter,

last week i went trough the journey of upgrading the CPU to the 9400f form 7700.

it was a long way to a successful running and finaly stable system again.

i have almost ruined my wifi (week cable and silly management)

my setup is fully configured that means, 4TB Harddrive 3.5 inch, 512 gb SSD 2,5 inch, and NVME SSD 256 (western digital ns500, 32GB ram)

very important, you must cover the ASUS pins (BLUE) according to this image:

for programming the BIOS you need to take the chip out and flash it with for instance a CH341a Flash Programmer
as software you use the AsProgrammer_1.4.1 and then you flash with overwriting the flashprotection!

i was in contact with Lost_N_BIOS form the win-raid forum, in the end he was kind enough to repatch the BIOS correctly (i have no idea what that means) but his version is here: (update i got a freeze with this version and went back to mine)
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...466037123673544 (no download possible with chrome) use edge for instance
https://www.win-raid.com/t3987f16-TOOL-Easy-automated-Mod-tool-for-Coffee-Lake-bios-62.html

i have to add, that the system is not stable at all, therefore i went back to the default bios with the i7 7700. i had also covered the VRMs with heatsinks and they didnt got really warm at all.

UPDATE 2 it works now! Lost_N_BIOS made a new bios that unlocked hidden menues form BIOS:
[ASUS] High voltage VCore (up to 1.5V) in the “Auto” mode is a proprietary bug of ASUS motherboards. The problem is solved by setting the value “0.01” for the parameters “IA AC Load Line” and “IA DC Load Line”.
[ASUS] The “2.1” value for the “IA AC Load Line” and “IA DC Load Line” settings will help to remove throttling on 2xxx bios
after setting the “IA AC Load Line” and “IA DC Load Line”, i could boot windows and run everything like normal.

i have stresstested the System with Prime95 and several Benchmark Utilitys. so this is a final win!
i'll ask Lost_N_BIOS if he can make a general bios that works for everyone.
so wait for the update! cheers

Mollari
Level 8
Hi,

in the next days i will receive a 9900k. My BIOS mod Runs with my 7700k.

Did you made any pinchanges (Connect, isolate) for the 9900k?

Greetings I am not pro at bios modding but I'm wondering if someone could help me out a little. I had followed the bios instructions of this thread https://www.win-raid.com/t3413f16-GU...herboards.htm to make a modded bios of G20CI-1402 (non-oculus, stock bios) then used the FD44editor_0.9.2 to sign the modded bios with last known working credentials and lastly used XGecu TL866 II plus programmer to flash onto the appropriate bios chip. Inserted it in the motherboard then inserted intel i7-8700 SR3QS cpu and then inserted adata ddr4 2666 16gb ram sticks x2 pressed power button instant on and power off... black screen no post.

Please note current specs:

ASUS G20CI H270 motherboard,
ASUS GTX 1080Ti,
windows 10 Home intel ME interface 11.7.1040,
bios ME version 11.8.50.3399,
windows intel 200 series family chipset.

In addition I re-tried this entire process using bios G20CI 1202 (non oculus) with BIOS ME 11.6.25.1229 instead and same outcome occurred. I just want upgrade from 7700 to 8700. What did I do wrong? How to fix this?

i've had a talk to the master of the win-raid forum Lost_N_BIOS. he mentioned that its not possible to make a generalliezed bios for the g20ci. so the best is to update intel ME to the latest and update the stock bios to the latest. then head to that thread (https://www.win-raid.com/t3987f16-TOOL-Easy-automated-Mod-tool-for-Coffee-Lake-bios-65.html#msg11417...) and ask Lost_N_BIOS if he might add the microcode according to your CPU to the bios, it also requires to change some values later in bios otherwise the PC will shutdown after a minute / two afer boot to windows.

check the thread.

the pin connecting is not needed but the isolating is a must otherwise you'll ruin your mainboard.

my cpu uses R0 Stepping has srg0z if i google the i7 9700k it should have r0 stepping too.

@CREISEY
First of all thanks for your reply, time and insight on the matter. I will take your advice. I will upadte my current system the latest bios ME version and windows intel ME version then head over to (https://www.win-raid.com/t3987f16-TO...html#msg114175) and ask for Lost_N_BIOS's assistance. Hopefully all goes well. However before I do I am asking for clarity on two things;

1. On the Asus g20ci driver site (https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/ROG-G20CI/HelpDesk_Download) the latest stock bios 1402 includes a non-oculus version and oculus verison. Is it a must I use the oculus verison for the modded bios? Or can I use the non-oculus one? Reason why I ask is because when I first got my computer I had tried to upgrade to the stock oculus bios version and got a boot loop after posting so I switched back to the non-oculus one without issue.

2. Please note: The cpu I want to upgrade to is intel 8th gen i7-8700 SR3QS which has apparently cpu stepping according to https://www.win-raid.com/t3987f16-TOOL-Easy-automated-Mod-tool-for-Coffee-Lake-bios.html. You said that I would not need to connect any of the cpu pins. Good. However my question is what is the best substance recommended I should use to isolate the required pins in order for this modd to be sucessful?