cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VS power button not working

Forcecaster
Level 7
We have a GL702VS, that was working perfectly fine until a couple of days ago, when it stopped to turn on, when pressing the power button. I tried all the related solutions I could find online, but none of them worked. At the end I figured it out, that if I disconnect the battery and the CMOS battery (that we also tried to replace, made no difference) and wait about half an hour and connect everything, the power button will start working again. The only problem is, that it will stop working, when we completely shut down the machine.

I tried playing with the fast shutdown option in Windows 10, no change. Tried updating BIOS (307), going back to default settings, nothing helped. Now the only way to turn on the machine is to disconnect everything, wait a few minutes and connect the charger and then it will start up automatically. If I wait more with everything disconnected I might be able to start it up with the power button, but the next time I will definitely have to disconnect everything again. After starting up and going to sleep I can wake up the machine by pressing space, the power button does nothing. I wanted to check the continuity of the circuit, but there is no separate control board and I don't know where it can be checked on this model.

The charger works fine. When it's plugged in, the power led lights up and I can also see on the battery, that it is indeed charging.

Otherwise, once it is started, everything works perfectly fine.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem? Any help will be much appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

GeoBRB
Level 10
The same issue with my GL703GM-EE074.
I can't start it anymore...
The power buton remain RED and the light bulb show WHITE.

I can press to the power buton for many minutes, the same issue 😞 I can hear the fan overboost, but nothing heappend....

Description of my issue is here:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?110782-HELP-My-ASUS-ROG-GL703GM-WON-T-START

Can be the motherboar? I have this laptop from 3 months ago 😞

GeoBRB wrote:
The same issue with my GL703GM-EE074.
I can't start it anymore...
The power buton remain RED and the light bulb show WHITE.

I can press to the power buton for many minutes, the same issue 😞 I can hear the fan overboost, but nothing heappend....

Description of my issue is here:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?110782-HELP-My-ASUS-ROG-GL703GM-WON-T-START

Can be the motherboar? I have this laptop from 3 months ago 😞

Hi Geo!

Have you tried shorting the pins connected to the power button to see if you can turn on your laptop this way? I'm trying to figure out which pins are connected to the power button, since all is coming through the keyboard's ribbon cable. This way you can see if you have only a faulty power button/board.

Forcecaster wrote:
Hi Geo!

Have you tried shorting the pins connected to the power button to see if you can turn on your laptop this way? I'm trying to figure out which pins are connected to the power button, since all is coming through the keyboard's ribbon cable. This way you can see if you have only a faulty power button/board.

I don't know how to make this...
Send it to the service...
Waiting answer next week or 2-3 weeks... 😞

Aftert many hours of trying to make the laptop to power up, I can't make it to power up with the battery or without the internal battery but with the power cord only. After the first simtom, I was able to power up with the power cord only. With the internal battery connected and power cord it never power up.
I say power up, the keyboard only and sometimes the display show the REPUBLIC OF GAMERS for some seconds till 20-30 seconds...
I repeat, with the power cord only with the internal battery disconnected, else never...
After many hours I can't make it to power up with the power cord only anymore... 😞

Like I said send it to the service and I'm waiting an aswer asap.
Warranty or no, because after 1 week after received I change the M2 to Samsung 970 PRO and RAM to Kingston Hynix 2x16 GB CL15. Original was Hynix 1x16 CL19...

Many friend told me the motherboard is about 400 Euro, others 150 Euro...
Is anybody here which price is the motherboard?
I can't find it to the official components here 😞

https://www.asusparts.eu/en/partfinder/Asus/Notebook/G%20Series/GL703GM

There is no motherboard in the list 😞

Forcecaster
Level 7
Hi Geo!