CaseThermaltake 900
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova 1600 T2
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM200 Small
    Headset/Speakers Sennheiser HD650
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Super Gnome View Post
    I am afraid to touch that kind of thing because I don't know what I am doing. Overclocking and changing voltages, etc., seems to be where people fry their hardware components. There was an ROG forum post earlier where a guy was running his CPU at voltages in about the 1.4+ range or something, and it seems he fried his CPU... I play World of Warcraft and their forums (especially the more technical ones) are great for troubleshooting. The in-game settings are also good and very educational. I now generally limit my FPS to speeds that look fine to me, like 30 or 40--and rarely encounter too much trouble. That also keeps CPU and GPU temperatures down and allows playing Youtube videos at the same time, playing a Steam game while waiting for a pvp match or group to form for raiding or dungeons, etc., and also while running any music apps like Spotify or whatever, all at the same time.
    CPU voltage of 1.4+ sounds really high to me. I've not touched any of my voltages. It's too early to start frying this system. I worry about messing with the cpu unless it's just tweaking the multiplier in manual mode. I've left it on auto for now. I don't mind playing around with the settings for ram. I've left it in XMP mode firing at 4000mhz.

I'm surprised with a system like yours that you try to cap fps 30-40. I'm always targeting 60fps. Then, I don't multi process while gaming with the likes of youtube & that like you.

I've finished my Fallout 4 mod build. I've attempted to push it as far as possible. Have around 400 mods installed including 4k high resolution textures. Environment overhauls. Switched on as much as possible like God rays, etc. Kept shadow distance down to medium though. Game looks beautiful & I'm getting 50-60 fps in the wasteland (outdoors).

I'd love to have my GPU's water cooled but I'm not even getting into that. First off I'd need to know my cards were finally 100% healthy & staying in my rig for good. Secondly I have no more budget left, just credit card bills lol. Lastly I'm not even sure if the space is there for extra fittings. I have my soundblaster card in the middle of the GPU's & a sister audio board neighbouring the slave GPU. It's only a small device card but probably still in the way.

That's what I loved about my radeon R9 295x2. It came with onboard water cooling. It was performed so well, was quiet & kept nice temps.

ROG Enthusiast Array Bartacus82 PC Specs
    Bartacus82 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Desktop
    MotherboardAsus Rampage VI Extreme
    Processorintel i9 7980EX
    Memory (part number)32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 4000mhz
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3
    Graphics Card #2EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3
    Sound CardCreative Soundblaster ZxR
    MonitorAsus PB287Q 28'' 4K
    Storage #14TB Samsung Evo 850
    Storage #24TB Samsung Evo 860 x2
    CPU CoolerEK Monoblock Custom Loop
    CaseThermaltake 900
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Have you tried Razer Cortex, or any software like that? I tried GameFirst V when I first started up the new rig but it started using one of my CPU cores at 100% (Cortana did the same till I disabled it) so I uninstalled it. Razer Cortex seems to really work according to monitoring numbers. In my case, the old and new rigs were both getting stuttering running a really old, low demand Steam game, SB Hockey, and that has stopped with Razer Cortex. Plus it frees up a lot of RAM.

Here are the general specs for my old rig:

Rampage III Black Edition MB
    i7-990X (six core) @3.47 GHz (stock)
    Two Asus 1070 GTX Turbo (blower) in SLI
    12 GB Ram
    Windows 10 Home 1809
    ROG Ryuo 240 AIO CPU cooler
    No I have not tried any software like Razer Cortex before.

I never see any of my cores hitting 100% unless I've purposely given them a stressful task to complete.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array cekeu PC Specs
    cekeu PC Specs
    MotherboardROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i9-7900X
    Memory (part number)GSKILL DDR4 32GB (4*8) F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW
    Graphics Card #1Zotac RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core
    MonitorASUS ROG SWIFT PG27UQ
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 1TB
    Storage #2BARRACUDA PRO (8TB) ST8000DM005
    CPU CoolerCORSAIR Hydro Series™ H150i PRO RGB 360mm
    CaseLian Li PC 011 WXC
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime Platinum SSR-1300PD
    Keyboard Corsair Gaming K70 RGB
    Mouse Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Studio® R1800TIII
    OS Windows 10 Pro

may be trying to get back to bios 1503 with the USB BIOS Flashback method. the bios 1704 is not compatible at home with my cpu i9 7900X. The 1503 bios runs perfectly with my system.

ROG Enthusiast Array Super Gnome PC Specs
    Super Gnome PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i9-9980XE CPU @ 3.00GHz
    Memory (part number)Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz 128 GB
    Graphics Card #1Asus NVIDIA GeForce 2080 RTX Turbo (Blower type)
    Graphics Card #2Asus NVIDIA GeForce 2080 RTX Turbo (Blower type)
    MonitorJAPANNEXT JN-VT500UHD 4K 50-inch LCD
    Storage #1Crucial MX500 1 TB
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CaseThermaltake View 71 TG
    Power SupplyCORSAIR AXi Series, AX1600i 1600 watt
    Accessory #1 Noctua 140mm 3000 RPM x 6
    Accessory #2 Gigabyte GC-A 2WAY NVLINK RGB (3-slot)

Quote Originally Posted by Bartacus82 View Post

I'm surprised with a system like yours that you try to cap fps 30-40.
    World of Warcraft has in-game settings, and you can limit your FPS. I have been tweaking that for years, and have found thirty or forty is good enough to not really notice a big difference your eye can catch (there is a difference, but you get used to it). That way and with your fans on a curve, the temperatures stay cool and your fans don't make too much noise. You can also max out the in-game graphics settings that way so that the detail is amazing, even, and especially 4k. It's really hot where I live in summer, as well, and the air conditioning bills get really bad.

I also run two instances of the game sometimes (not to mention playing music or an audiobook at the same time, etc), and that way can do some things without the help of others to get rare in-game items, for example--and to get hard to find gear for my toons. I used to play Diablo II way back when, and would run three instances of that game sometimes--but used three laptops for that, lol!!!!

I have also had two monitors going at once on occasion. I now have an ultra-wide and a 4k monitor hooked up to both desktops, and have (kind of) watched movies while doing other things, lol!

Also, my blower type GPUs keep the heat out of the case by taking air in from inside the case, pushing it through the card and out the back, which is good for the motherboard, CPU and other components inside the case, but the cost is higher GPU temperatures under the same load.
    Last edited by Super Gnome; 05-07-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Super Gnome PC Specs
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360

I'd love to have my GPU's water cooled.
    Oh, man, yeah... For sure. Gigabyte has a water cooled 2080. Their latest model is the AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 XTREME WATERFORCE and I have watched their video for it. If you want to remove your fans, etc. from an air cooled card you can do it yourself, but I'm not sure I'll get it right, and if you don't know what you are doing you can get leaks (no thanks). Two cards would also mean two radiators (all depending), and I already have my CPUs watercooled, hence I'd have to really research how to do it and do it right.
    Last edited by Super Gnome; 05-08-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Bartacus82 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Desktop
    Processorintel i9 7980EX
    CaseThermaltake 900
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by cekeu View Post
    may be trying to get back to bios 1503 with the USB BIOS Flashback method. the bios 1704 is not compatible at home with my cpu i9 7900X. The 1503 bios runs perfectly with my system.
    Not a bad shout there. Reverting to an older bios version could be worth a try. At the moment things seem okay. It's been almost a week & half without anything going wrong. So I'll see how things pan out from here.

Bartacus82 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Desktop
    Processorintel i9 7980EX
    CaseThermaltake 900
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

World of Warcraft has in-game settings, and you can limit your FPS. I have been tweaking that for years, and have found thirty or forty is good enough to not really notice a big difference your eye can catch (there is a difference, but you get used to it). That way and with your fans on a curve, the temperatures stay cool and your fans don't make too much noise. You can also max out the in-game graphics settings that way so that the detail is amazing, even, and especially 4k. It's really hot where I live in summer, as well, and the air conditioning bills get really bad.

I also run two instances of the game sometimes (not to mention playing music or an audiobook at the same time, etc), and that way can do some things without the help of others to get rare in-game items, for example--and to get hard to find gear for my toons. I used to play Diablo II way back when, and would run three instances of that game sometimes--but used three laptops for that, lol!!!!

I have also had two monitors going at once on occasion. I now have an ultra-wide and a 4k monitor hooked up to both desktops, and have (kind of) watched movies while doing other things, lol!

Also, my blower type GPUs keep the heat out of the case by taking air in from inside the case, pushing it through the card and out the back, which is good for the motherboard, CPU and other components inside the case, but the cost is higher GPU temperatures under the same load.
    Completely understandable for your configuration of use.

4k & ultra details on games is now an addiction. Once you try it on one game...you can't go back to anything less. To think I use to be more than happy with 1080p gaming. There was nothing wrong with it...until I seen 4k.

lol I don't know how people can multi task with gaming/movies/youtube. I have to give my 100% attention to whatever I'm doing. If I watch a movie, then that is the only thing I can concentrate on.

Bartacus82 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Desktop
    Processorintel i9 7980EX
    CaseThermaltake 900
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Oh, man, yeah... For sure. Gigabyte has a water cooled 2080. Their latest model is the AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 XTREME WATERFORCE and I have watched their video for it. If you want to remove your fans, etc. from an air cooled card you can do it yourself, but I'm not sure I'll get it right, and if you don't know what you are doing you can get leaks (no thanks). Two cards would also mean two radiators (all depending), and I already have my CPUs watercooled, hence I'd have to really research how to do it and do it right.
    I don't think I got the balls to remove the fans myself & fit a cooling block. Something would definitely go wrong & end up costing me dear. Plus I need a break from the hardware side of things. Time to enjoy the fruits of what my monitor offers.

My CPU has a custom built cooling system fitting to it. That is enough for me at this stage. Video cards are suppose to get hot anyway. They are the graphical workhorses. So they are designed to cope with the temps. As long as they don't pass their set limits. Although everyone would love a super cooled set of video cards that never break the 50c barrier.

Super Gnome PC Specs
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360

I don't think I got the balls to remove the fans myself & fit a cooling block. Something would definitely go wrong & end up costing me dear. Plus I need a break from the hardware side of things. Time to enjoy the fruits of what my monitor offers.

My CPU has a custom built cooling system fitting to it. That is enough for me at this stage. Video cards are suppose to get hot anyway. They are the graphical workhorses. So they are designed to cope with the temps. As long as they don't pass their set limits. Although everyone would love a super cooled set of video cards that never break the 50c barrier.
    Exactly!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3