cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage vi Extreme (help) troubleshooting

Bartacus82
Level 7
Hi,

I've been experiencing some noticeable problems for the past 5 months with my system. Around 17 months ago I went all out & built myself a new computer. All parts were new except for the graphics card which was a Radeon R9 295X2 & 2 HDD's. As far as I remember everything was good & functioning properly (nothing sinister stood out). Over the course of time I added 2 Samsung 860evo's to bulk up my storage with enhanced speed. 5 months ago I decided to upgrade the graphics cards. I bought 1 RTX 2080Ti & 3-4 weeks later decided to get a second for sli. My system specs can been seen in my profile to get an idea of what hardware I am using. So the problem I've had is my video cards are showing windows error codes in device manager. Most of the time error code 43 & rarely an error code 14 may pop up on one. This only happens when I boot my computer for the first time. I've never had errors appear while running my system if the boot was good. The cards seem to function healthily if the boot is good. The weird thing is my computer will function all week long with no errors. Both cards working & identified. Then one day I will turn on the computer & boom low resolution & error code 43 in device manager for my cards. When this happens I will safe mode/uninstall nvidia driver & reinstall drivers. When I get a successful installation I can use my computer for around a week again before the problem repeats it's self. This has been a 5 month problem. I've used different Nvidia drivers & always kept my windows 10 64 bit pro up to date. I did an RMA on the one RTX card & now have a replacement card in my system. I'm still experiencing this issue though. When I used only the one RTX card, before I owned 2, I do not remember having those issues. Sometimes when I 've attempted to install an Nvidia driver in sli, after the error code attack. I would get a black screen when the Nvidia installation was checking system compatibility/computer would restart & be stuck in a restart loop until going into safe mode. Also what I've picked up on... Sometimes when my computer boots, the mouse or keyboard or both together will not power on. A restart usually fixes this. It doesn't happen all the time, maybe 5%-10% of the time. Only once in all this time has the mouse & keyboard powered off while in windows after a set amount of time. I'm wondering could any of my issues be resolved in the bios settings. I'm out of my comfort zone with the issues I'm dealing with. I've spoken to Nvidia & EVGA many many times. Always get a different person responding & asking me the same questions & never answer my questions. The bottom line of what Nvidia say is it could be power related/card related/motherboard related. I dread to think if it's motherboard related. Anybody who knows the rampage vi extreme well & could offer advice would be most appreciated. If I've forgotten to add any relevant information that would help, please ask. My brain is a bit frazzled with this stress head I got.
28 REPLIES 28

Bartacus82
Level 7
I should probably also mention I'm using Bios version 1704 for my Rampage vi Extreme. Current Nvidia driver package version 430.39.

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Bartacus82 wrote:
Hi,

Most of the time error code 43 & rarely an error code 14 may pop up on one.

Does your manual show what the error codes mean? I am far from an expert in any way, but have had similar problems at times. I have two motherboards, one a Rampage VI Extreme Omega and the other a Rampage III Black Edition. The R6 EO manual does not show what error codes mean, but R3 BE manual shows 43 as "OEM post memory initialization codes," and 14 as "Pre-memory CPU installation is started." This would lead me to believe there may be system memory issues--but again I am not in any way and expert. But, were it me, I would make sure my memory is compatible with my motherboard. Second, some recent Nvidia cards have had issues with Micron memory. You can see what your GPU memory maker is (Samsung vs Micron) with GPU-Z. I'd make sure to download it from TechPowerUp, the maker.

Also, does your system ever fail to start up--and if it does are you getting beeps. But then if you are like me, your R6 does not have a little speaker installed (why Asus didn't include a little speaker I have no idea, sigh). I have more ideas but I'd check the above first.

Off the top of my head, I'm also wondering what Bios version you are using and what kind of temperatures your CPU and GPU are running at. MSI Afterburner is great for onscreen monitoring of such things--and others, like memory use. If you want to monitor those you can easily set it up, too. Here is a link for set up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfU3WdWS_00

Also, I used to have similar problems with my R3 BE system when I either started using my computer too quickly after startup or shut it down too quickly after closing up all the pages/games/software I was using--by that I mean, I'd go click/close, click/close, etc and then bang, shut down the system in like two seconds. The next time I'd start my system up, the keyboard woudn't work, etc. Or so it seemed to me.

Also, are you using GeForce Experience for Nvidia updates. I run it right after startup. I also run Intel's updater and here is a link: (it is very useful)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

Frankly, I also run Windows updater after startup, and my security software's scan for updates. Funny, the security software found two updates the other day that Windows, GeForce, and Intel did not find (Chrome was one, I forget what the other was).

jpmboy
Level 9
those are windows error codes, not q-codes I believe is what he is saying. If they are Q-codes, simply adjusting VSA and VCCIO may fix the ram initialization error. If they are not Q-codes, but are reported in Windows Event Viewer, it may be a IRQ clash of some type.
HAs the OS updated to windows version 1903? Or still on 1809?

Download a copy of LAtency Monitor and run it. Does it show any DPC issues for the nvdriver (nvdkm?)

jpmboy wrote:
those are windows error codes, not q-codes I believe is what he is saying.

Oh, right, I see. 😮 "Event Viewer" is also a place where you can get some clues as to what is going on. 😄 You can also run DXDiag for clues. You can also try this. It is a page from the Blizzard website for these kinds of issues.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/23848

Bartacus82
Level 7
The error codes I was referring to are windows error codes that appear in device manager on selected hardware.

Rampage vi extreme Bios version 1704

My windows version is still on version 1803. I didn't even know there is a 1903. When I check for updates windows say's I'm up to date.

Before I got the RTX cards I had no problem with graphics errors. System ran well for a year. So I'm not suspecting too much that it is a memory issue. Unless it's possible to conflict ram with video card memory (I don't know)

My system doesn't fail to start up. I don't get the motherboard beeps. Tried attaching the little speaker to board ages ago, but the beeps never worked. I have a visual on the mobo of the memory/CPU/VGA loading when system is booted.

My Cpu temps are decent. Depending on the room temp. They can idle from anything around mid 20's to low 30's degrees celsius . Even when gaming it still hangs out in the 30's, sometimes it might venture into the 40's. Just checked EVGA X1 precision & the cards temps are on 40 & 43 degrees celsius. I've not done anything stressful with my computer since turning it on & surfing the net. I don't think the fans kick in on those cards unless they reach a certain temp or you activate fans manually.

I used both Geforce Experience for updating Nvidia drivers & have downloaded the drivers direct from the website. I've tried a few drivers over the past 5 months.

I like how nobody has jumped straight in & said you probably have a defective motherboard/video card/PSU. My Nightmare would be a defective motherboard. The pain it would cause. I've already installed windows 3 times this year. I have like around 8TB of data & software. The installation is gruelling. Takes me about 3 weeks if I dedicate all my time to it. Plus a lot of my music software licenses are attached to my computer id which is basically the motherboard.

Thanks for the links & monitoring software suggestions. I will take a look at them soon as I get some time later.

I need to add. Not sure whether this is normal behaviour for the Rampage vi extreme or not. It's done it ever since I've owned this board. On power up the board/system will do what I describe a pre power up (lights flash on, system power) then it powers down & back on for the system boot to begin. It's a real fast process like split seconds. I've always thought it's the motherboard calibrating quickly what the system requires power wise & such, or maybe quickly checking bios settings. Anyway none of my previous computers/boards have ever behaved this way on boot up.

Bartacus82 wrote:
On power up the board/system will do what I describe a pre power up (lights flash on, system power) then it powers down & back on for the system boot to begin. It's a real fast process like split seconds.

My two ROG Rampage boards have never done the above. That is definitely weird.

Your temperatures sound fine, just like mine. So that is good--and so you can rule out that as a problem. In both cases my system memory appears on the motherboards' lists of supported memory, but I checked the manual and support page for your board and didn't see any list of supported memory--so I might wonder about that if it was my own motherboard. I am completely unfamiliar with the error codes 14 and 43 but I would definitely Google them and do so both with general or "All" and "VIdeo" searches with as many variations of related search terms as I could think of.

If it were me I might also go through the devices one by one in device manager to see if the drivers are all up to date. I don't know what else to think regarding your problem and it is out of my league of expertise, barring the above--namely Googling madly--which is what I do for help with problems. I would probably start with "2080 ti SLI problems" and "Task Manager error 14," and "Task Manager error 43" to start as that seems to be where your problem lies. (I found this page with a quick search: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310123/error-codes-in-device-manager-in-windows). Good luck and hang in there.

PS. One thing I did early on with my system was contact Microsoft support. Windows was hanging on updates and simply would not install them. A technician took over my computer using remote and got the updates installed and all was well. The guy did it for free too. 😄

It seems you are not alone in having the problem. I found this page. Have you seen it?

https://www.digitalstorm.com/forums/out-of-the-box-code-43-error-2080-ti-tidf48218/

I also found this page: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1082423/geforce-rtx-20-series/rtx-2080-ti-code-43/

It definitely sounds to me like the "Micron" memory issue I have read about. Have you run GPU-Z to see if your cards have Micron memory in them?

Also, it looks like there might be a fix for your issue here:

https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/script-nvidia-error43-fixer/

Good luck! 😄

Bartacus82
Level 7
Been really busy with work but thank you for your continued support Super Gnome.

I've googled around the net extensively about the error codes. Reading forum posts etc. I actually found that error 43 fixer thread last week. I was thinking of using it. Decided to maybe wait until the errors surfaced again before trying. I did actually mention this to Nvidia support & EVGA. I asked them what their thoughts were & have they come across this themselves. Also sent them the same link you gave me. They completely ignored my questions about this & failed to give me a response. It annoyed me as I wanted some insight to it.

I've checked my cards in GPU-Z. It appears both of my cards are using Micron memory. One of those cards are a replacement card from EVGA after my RMA. They could have given me a Samsung memory one back.

What windows OS are you using ?
If 10 what version is it on ? Mine is 1803, yet JPMboy said at top about a version 1809 & 1903. I wonder why I'm not getting any of those updates.

As far as my system boot up behaviour. That's kind of got me concerned. I thought it may have been the norm for these new super boards.

BTW your system specs are killer. Wanna swap rigs 😄