cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G703GI-XS71 - WD Black SN750 M.2, does the heatsinked model fit and how to check?

Naahdrekii
Level 7
Head Note - (Skip to paragraph 4 for main issue)
Pardon any improper formatting, as this is my first post on these forums. I will edit this thread if I did it improperly, so please bear with me.

Some Context -
I recently bought a G703GI-XS71, and I've owned several ROG laptops in the past. My last one supported a singular M.2 slot and I upgraded that about a year ago to a 1TB M.2 WD Blue SATA SSD. The laptop broke (recently) and after the painful process of RMA's I decided to just get it return unrepaired and buy a brand new one. After I received the broken product back from ASUS, I "cannibalized" it of all usable parts (I hoard parts 😄 ) and put what I could in the new one.

Some Context Regarding my Issues -
I learned the hard way that my new G703GI-XS71 only has 1 HDD slot (obviously) and 3 M.2 SSD slots. What I failed to realize is that the M.2 slots are PCIe only, so I had to swap out my 2TB FireCuda SSHD and put my existing WD Blue SSD in a M.2 to SATA converter card in its place. So basically I have 2 issues right now;

Issue (Does it fit?) - [EDIT: (SEE DIAGRAM ATTACHED, ITEM B IS THE SLOT REFERENCED)]
- Can I put a WD Black SN750 Heatsink M.2 SSD in the first M.2 slot? I certainly cannot put it in any of the other 2 M.2 Slots, as there is a metal plate that doubles as a heatsink for the 2 M.2's on the right side of the motherboard. (If anyone is confused I can provide pictures in an edit to this thread)
- The computer seems (from first glance) to boot from the singular M.2 slot on the left side of the motherboard (I have a 256GB Samsung PCIe NVMe SSD that came prepackaged with the system) and if I wanted to upgrade to a WD Black SN750 Heatsinked M.2, would it fit?
- There does seem to be some space between the 256GB Samsung and the panel I take off to upgrade RAM, SSD(s) and the HDD, so I was curious if anyone knew if there is enough space for the heatsinked M.2 without obstructing or having the force the panel back onto the rig?.
- Regarding the last point, if no one knows, is there a way to find out how much space is between the M.2 and the back panel?
- These are the dimensions straight from Western Digital's website: "The WD Black SN750 with heatsink exceeds standard M.2 size specifications that do not include a heatsink. The max dimensions of the WD Black SN750 with heatsink are 80.15mm (L) x 24.5mm (W) x 8.10mm (H). Please verify your system provides ample space for installation."

FootNote -
I am completely willing to check myself and let the answers come to me, but does anyone know a way to check the space between the back panel and the M.2 slot?
Thanks to anyone who bothers to take on this challenge let alone respond. I just don't want to spend money and find out I have to send it back.

Links -
M.2 Dimensions:
https://www.wd.com/products/internal-ssd/wd-black-sn750-nvme-ssd.html#disclaimer
ROG G703GI Main Page:
https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-G703/
Diagram:
2 REPLIES 2

jdfrench3
Level 12
Easy and cheap way to measure space, use clay.

You can get clay from most florist (normally green). Put a bit in the area you want to measure (power off). put cover on and let clay fill the void. Now carefully remove the clay and measure with micrometer.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Sorry for the necro. But you my friend solved my problem! It appears that the Heatsinked SSD just barely will not fit after all. Thanks so much man!