cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird issue with GT-AC5300

bogdi1988
Level 8
Been dealing with this issue that just makes no sense.

Any of the latest firmware updates, the issue is constant. If I revert to 3.0.0.4.384_32799 issue goes away!
For some reason the router chooses a device on the network and https://www.amazon.com !!! fails to load on that device.
If I try Google, Facebook, etc and even SMILE.amazon.com !!!, the pages load OK!

I have VPN fusion enabled and it seems that VPN devices are not affected. If I put a VPN rule for the affected device to go through the VPN, issue disappears until I remove the rule, then broken again for that device. I can replicate the issue consistently. I tried to do a tracert on the router itself, and for some reason, it never completes. If I run to any other address, tracert works fine.

Has anyone experienced this? Before you start recommending a factory reset, I have done that already! I am about to toss this router in the garbage, really frustrated with this issue.
10 REPLIES 10

Uberduke
Level 7
Hi @bogdi1988

I'm having a similar issue with firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45713 but amazon.com works fine for me. However, Netflix is the website I cannot access at all on any of my devices (wired or WiFi) and while IMDB technically loads, it is totally messed up and without graphics. Seemingly every other website works. I use PIA in VPN fusion configuration and the machine behind the VPN is working normally. I haven't had the chance to revert to an older firmware as yet as I just did the update a day or two ago. This is very odd behaviour for sure. I will try to revert to the 3.0.0.4.384_32799 firmware version you mentioned was working and hopefully that will correct the issue for now.

I hope someone at Asus is actually looking into this.

Duke

EDIT - Just to confirm, reverting to firmware v 3.0.0.4.384_32799 does resolve the issue.

Duke

I really want to be able to update to the latest version, as it drops my ping significantly - from 60 down to 15ms - but this issue is very annoying. I am about to take this router back to Fry's (got their extended warranty) and get something else. Very frustrating that the Asus QE folks haven't ran into this bug after 3 releases...

Uberduke wrote:
Hi @bogdi1988

I'm having a similar issue with firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45713 but amazon.com works fine for me. However, Netflix is the website I cannot access at all on any of my devices (wired or WiFi) and while IMDB technically loads, it is totally messed up and without graphics. Seemingly every other website works. I use PIA in VPN fusion configuration and the machine behind the VPN is working normally. I haven't had the chance to revert to an older firmware as yet as I just did the update a day or two ago. This is very odd behaviour for sure. I will try to revert to the 3.0.0.4.384_32799 firmware version you mentioned was working and hopefully that will correct the issue for now.

I hope someone at Asus is actually looking into this.

Duke

EDIT - Just to confirm, reverting to firmware v 3.0.0.4.384_32799 does resolve the issue.

Duke

I'm having the same issue. Amazon works, Netflix doesn't, reverting to 3.0.0.4.384_32799 works. I too hope someone is looking into this issue. VPN fusion is the main reason I bought this router. This has been a problem for a year now. If it is not fixed in the next release I will switch to another manufacturer. I'm very unhappy with the quality of the firmware.

TeamHoman wrote:
I'm having the same issue. Amazon works, Netflix doesn't, reverting to 3.0.0.4.384_32799 works. I too hope someone is looking into this issue. VPN fusion is the main reason I bought this router. This has been a problem for a year now. If it is not fixed in the next release I will switch to another manufacturer. I'm very unhappy with the quality of the firmware.

Yup. Firmware is garbage. Have been looking at the AX11000 to replace it - have 3 years warranty and will plan to return it to Fry's - but it is not in stock. There aren't many decent/capable options available...

Quick note. I tried the latest build: 3.0.0.4.384_45717. Low and behold, the issue seems to be finally gone! Only took 'em 6 months to fix it!

EDIT: 12 hours later, broken again. Garbage software.

bogdi1988
Level 8
New update: Seems that when I have VPN Fusion up, after a while sites go down. I went ahead and disabled VPN fusion and have had no issues with sites being inaccessible since. So that tells me that something in the routing table gets screwed up when VPN is up.

bogdi1988
Level 8
Guess what?! "Great" news!
I have since returned the device and upgraded to the new AX11000 router... and... looks like the issue follows with the AX11 router as well. As soon as I enable VPN fusion, Amazon breaks after a few hours. If I disable the VPN and restart the router, all is well... So a major bug in the way the firmware handles DNS/VPN.

got same problem .reported this to asus helpdesk .and they investigate.hope this bug will be patched in the next firmware release

bogdi1988
Level 8