New ROGer Array

UX501JW 960m Problem and Reaching Dreamonic/Voltground?

I have this laptop called ASUS Zenbook Pro UX501JW with:
    Intel Core i7 4720HQ 2.6Ghz
    8GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960m 4GB

The had this throttling problem for a long time whenever I play demanding games such as AC Unity, Shadow of War, Witcher 3, Warframe, etc. The clock speed always goes down the 405Mhz. I got this BIOS mod from a website called VOLTGROUND (now down) and I was able to unlock the temp limit. Does anyone know how to contact Dreamonic by email or anything I can do to send a PM? Because I tried to do it here but I couldn't send it. It said that Dreamonic can't recieve PMs anymore unless he deletes the cache or something for him to receive PMs again? I don't exactly what is that.

Damn I never thought the temp. will go higher than I expected. The locked temp limit by default is 78° but when I unlock it, it goes beyond 95°. I went in a repair store to clean and put thermal paste on both CPU and GPU, twice. The first time gave me a problem where the GPU isn't working at full speed, literally but for now its ok. However, the high temps are still there and I had to lock the limit to at least 82° to 87°.

I've read a lot of posts about this 960m and it appears this is a common problem. The only game I could enjoy playing right now is Warframe due to the game having a dynamic resolution option, while the 2014-2015 games I have don't. That tech is amazing that low end users can enjoy smooth gameplay with the cost of resolution scaling.

I've been looking for a program/software that do dynamic resolution scaling and it appears there's one, called Hialgo Boost. Unfortunately it only support some DX9 games. I've learn that RADEON already had a dynamic resolution feature to its driver. I was wondering why NVIDIA can't do the same?

Is this how 960m really works? I can't be the only one having a such overheating problem with this laptop GPU. I'm planning to go back in a repair store again to clean and repaste this laptop, I can't risk doing it myself for I have no experience for this.

I was thinking that I regret buying this 2015 laptop model and instead I should've waited for the 10 Series laptop and buy a 1050/1050 ti or a 1060 laptop. It's really a shame.

I don't even know if I can ever reduce the temps to at least 74° to 70° at this point because repasting the GPU and CPU isn't helping at all, for me at least.
    If there's a chance of a software that support DX11 games and do a dynamic resolution scaling, I really wish it will come someday or at least NVIDIA should try implementing it.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600
    Memory (part number)16GB DDR4
    Graphics Card #1GTX980
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

I would search google for benchmarks and framerates using the same model and then run them on your own machine. That will tell you if your performance is significantly off.
    Also, I believe that is a 4K laptop, so I would game at 1080p. There won't need to be any interpolation since it's exactly 1/4 of 4k and games will play better.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!