cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair 7 Hero Wifi Random Crashes and wifi bluetooth stability issue

dandan1108
Level 7
Can anyone help me to find a solution of my CH7hero wifi board?

Have done 2 RMA for past 2 months, and now they want me to send the board for the third time.

Now I do enough research, it seems like the super I/O chip ITE IT8665E is what makes the board unstable.

I cannot use AI suite 3 to control fan speed without crashing the system. BIOS updated to the newest, newest driver as well. the chip is just unstable and will fail whenever a software try to get information from the chip for voltage, temperature or fan speed.

They already replace the board with a same model but giving me same problem because it has the same chip.

What is my option now, it is clearly asus own fault for using that chip and their own software will crash the system if the software try to use the chip.
5 REPLIES 5

MeanMachine
Level 13
HI dandan and sorry to hear your problem 😞

First I've heard of the IO chip being unstable. (Please link your source) I have this MB and no problems or crashes of this kind.
Regarding AIsuite 3, I personally don't use it and many systems find instability especially when interacting with Bios. I'ts free software so ASUS won't take responsibility.
Uninstall the package properly and see how you go. Use third party software for monitoring only and only modify settings in Bios within Bios.

Hope you finally get it sorted 🙂
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
HI dandan and sorry to hear your problem 😞

First I've heard of the IO chip being unstable. (Please link your source) I have this MB and no problems or crashes of this kind.
Regarding AIsuite 3, I personally don't use it and many systems find instability especially when interacting with Bios. I'ts free software so ASUS won't take responsibility.
Uninstall the package properly and see how you go. Use third party software for monitoring only and only modify settings in Bios within Bios.

Hope you finally get it sorted 🙂

ANY monitor software will make the chip fail and crash the system. Asus ryzen line is just unstable, the chip is used in Asus x470 x370 b350

References link are here, there are more as well in other language too. I am definitely not the first one nor the only one who has this problem.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?102858-Asus-Strix-X470-F-Gaming-owners-thread/page40
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95367-Temperature-Sensors-failing-Fans-on-Max-speed-proble...
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93421-AiO-Header-and-CPU-Fan-headers-shut-down/page5
https://github.com/lm-sensors/lm-sensors/issues/134
https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/afjpem/strix_x470i_ec_sensorwmi_issues_freezingfan_speeds/
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/534244-Possible-regression-concerning-Ryzen-motherboards-...

MeanMachine
Level 13
Thanks for bringing me up to date on the issue dandan. It certainly is an annoying issue for those experiencing it.

Strange how some have issue with the chip and others don't. I agree the chip is unstable regarding temp sensors and maybe it's location is an issue.
As I understand it the I/O chip ITE IT8665E lies somewhere below the GPU and is subject to heat dissipation from the card, Some have had success (not a fix) blowing a desktop fan at the chip.
Maybe the chip becomes unstable when under heat stress, sensors become none operational (fans stop functioning) and software stops working correctly.

As I said , I don't have an issue and don't use AISuite nor any other third party product to interact with Bios. Maybe it's because my GPU is an EVGA Water Cooled Hybrid card which does not expel heat as a none reference card.
I use AIDA64 and HWInfo64 registering correct temp readings (almost identical to my temp probe)
Bios fan curves are manually set in Bios without issue and my case fans and GPU ramp up correctly when under load, so I must be one of the Lucky ones.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

There is a lot of people aware of the instability of this board, system crashing at random; they just dont know the problem has to do with the chip. I researched a lot to pin point to the problem. I used good air flow noctua fan s12, and a12x10, and f12 for radiator. I tried stock AMD x Coolermaster prism with the board, no success. heat is definitely not a problem as temperature is pretty low when it happens. Most people notice their system crash at idle too. My board is almost brand new got it from the second rma, factory sealed. As far as i know, using hwmonitor or aida64 is very easy to duplicate the malfunction if you just try frequently request readings from the chip like clicking refresh. VERY POOR DESIGNED or BAD CHOICE of using this chip. this is like the only product line I actually want to use a non Asus AMD board instead. I had been a fan with ASUS since P5LD2 and currently using strix x99 and p5e10 for my family right now but cant get Asus working on an AMD board. The amount of trouble that I am going through, I wish they can just refund me so I can get a working motherboard already.

rchiwawa
Level 7
dandan1108 wrote:
...it seems like the super I/O chip ITE IT8665E is what makes the board unstable....

Problems related to that chip and external monitoring software has been a non issue for me since October 2018ish for me. I would recommend not using AI Suite III for anything under any circumstance.

As far as WiFi and BT acting the proverbial "foo" there are several things that I have found, depending on Bios rev to a limited extent that can be problematic and it all relates to voltages.

If I am going to be of any help I am going to need to know some things:

CPU
Memory configuration (exact model preferred)
LLC settings (if custom set)
All voltage settings.

Without that info for starters there really isn't much aid I can render but I'll pro tip you with some anecdotal discoveries for my 2700x, 2x16Gb @3400MT 14-14-14-14-28-42 TRFC256, C7H rig.

The wifi and not so much the BT would often be the manifestation that I had my negatvie core offset entirely too low but stable enough to boot if it managed to post. Using the CPU USB port(s) required me to reduce the negative offset. Using an M.2 NVME, same thing. Together, even more reduction to the negative offset was required. It took me a couple of weeks to figure that one out because it was a mild but obvious symptom of a bigger problem with my configuration that, once sorted out, served as a bell-weather for my future tweaking attempts on the CPU using manual or XFR tuning methods alike.

I haven't personally had a problem with HWinfo probing the "super chip" since I want to say October 2018 give or take. Initially the problem was solved seemingly by disallowing access and then later it could stably poll my VRM temps, SVI 2, Fan Extension card fans speeds, etc without potetially crashing the system. I did not note the approximate date when that was fixed in my steno pad.

CAM, while I still had that NZXT pile of garbage, despite countless revisions never could resist trying to poll the super chip and was problematic until I switched out to a different cooler. After HWinfo was fixed CAM was my only source of software problems until the x62's removal.

I would recommend uninstalling AI Suite III and finding the AI3Cleaner executable on these forums at the very least. Asus software has been an abomination since 2004 or so... it's been a long time of problematic sucktitude and although I don't think it is your problem best to be rid of it. Just one old ****er's opinion...

That said, if you hit me back with some details I would be happy to see if I can be of help. Fwiw, my negative offsets with the 2700x worked out like this:

Just a video card: -0.100 was stable, -0.1125 would cause Wifi to go awry + et al
Video card and NVME m.2 usage (single or dual) OR any CPU USB port usage: -0.08125 stable, -0.0875 would be wifi problematic et al
Video card, NVME m.2, and CPU USB in use: -0.0625 stable, -0.08125 blah blah blah.