ROG Member Array

Exclamation Upcoming GX701 with HDR Display, will there be a way to disable optimus?

Title says it all, I was planning on ordering one of these then I noticed GSync has been dropped on the 2080-max q variant. Normally that wouldn't bother me but then this video pops up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJfHr-Y57LY

So is there a way to completely disable optimus and get rid of that overhead while using the laptop display? A hit of almost 20FPS just because you use optimus over gsync is insane! and now we don't even get a choice from what I understood.

ROG Member Array mhe PC Specs
    mhe PC Specs
    MotherboardSTRIX X99 Gaming
    Processor5930K @4.25GHz
    Graphics Card #1STRIX GTX 1080 OC
    Graphics Card #2STRIX GTX 1080 OC
    Sound CardOnboard SupremeFX
    MonitorPhilips BDM4065UC, RoG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H110
    CaseCorsair Vengeance C70
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Mionix Zibal 60
    Mouse Asus ROG Spatha
    Headset Beyerdynamic MMX 300
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS Win 10 Pro 64Bit
    Accessory #1 Oculus Rift CV1
    Accessory #2 Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + Pedals
    Accessory #3 Obutto r3volution

I have a GX701 as of a few days ago and there is this new software called Armoury Crate on the Windows app store that lets you switch between optimus and the discrete GPU directly. In the latter mode, it allows for full 144Hz and also using G-sync without issues.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/ar...ot:overviewtab

It comes pre-installed on the GX701, but if you want to start from a clean Windows just like I did, you can get this tool from the Windows app store.

Why would anybody use Optimus for gaming? It makes no sense. Just switch to the discrete GPU with the tool (without which you can't enable Gsync anyway) and then just enjoy the insane performance.
    Last edited by mhe; 05-11-2019 at 06:38 PM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by mobiousblack View Post
    Title says it all, I was planning on ordering one of these then I noticed GSync has been dropped on the 2080-max q variant. Normally that wouldn't bother me but then this video pops up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJfHr-Y57LY

So is there a way to completely disable optimus and get rid of that overhead while using the laptop display? A hit of almost 20FPS just because you use optimus over gsync is insane! and now we don't even get a choice from what I understood.
    Hello,
    As I read you want to know in your GX701 system there is a way to switch off Optimus
    So I say a big yes to you.
    I have GX701 and I have that option to switch Optimus to discrete GPU directly.
    you can find it in start option or you can download Armoury crate which will better provide you with that option
    HOpe this will help you
    Thanks