cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! How can i fix this broken ram slot clip

braveheart0707
Level 7
See attached picture.

Its not affecting usage, but just hits my OCD nerves alot!

Please let me know if there is anything to replace the broken clip.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
Swap with a clip from a donor motherboard? You'd have to make sure it's a similar model to ensure it matches and fits. I wouldn't buy a whole board just for one clip, personally.

Alternatively, you could take all clips off of the empty slots so the populated slots match and the empty slots match.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Swap with a clip from a donor motherboard? You'd have to make sure it's a similar model to ensure it matches and fits. I wouldn't buy a whole board just for one clip, personally.

Alternatively, you could take all clips off of the empty slots so the populated slots match and the empty slots match.

so the clip CAN be taken off? how?

xeromist
I don't have your specific board so YMMV, grain of salt, etc. However on some boards the retention clips snap onto the slot and can be (relatively easily) popped off. I bought a used ASUS server board and half the clips were missing. I popped the rest off and moved them around; so it can be done on some ASUS boards.

Make sure there is no power to the board and all memory is removed so you don't accidentally slip and damage anything. I would start with the broken clip since it's already broken. Move it to the open position and look at how it is attached. Many boards have a couple of plastic nubs that fit into holes on the slots and provide a rotation point. The clip may be removed by gently bending the clip open where it grabs the slot or gently tweaking it to the side. Either way, if you start to see the slot flexing I would stop before damaging the solder joints.

Memory fits pretty snug so you don't even really need the retention clips for a stationary system. If you can't easily remove the clips I'd leave them be. Certainly not worth damaging something for this minor an issue. If you have to transport it you may want to remove that stick or at least check it when you reach your destination to make sure it hasn't come loose. Otherwise it will be fine just sitting there.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Vlada011
Level 10
That;s old type of ROG Motherboards.
ASUS use same color as DIMM slot last 5 years for sure.

I checked, last Rampage IV launched 2011 had such clips.
And last Maximus 6 series had them as well, that's 2013 I think.