ROG Member Array

Post G73JH 205 Bios and vBios Questions

Hoping to get help with a few questions. My partner has had their G73 for almost 2 years with no known issues. The bios version is 205. Wondering if upgrading the bios to 213 and the video bios for the ATI video card to 93v found thru this forum will create any issues. All software and driver are the versions that shipped with this laptop. Most of the ASUS bloatware has been removed except splendid, power4gear, mouse utility, fastboot and control deck. Will do a complete reformat if needed but there are no issues at present. Thanks in advance

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Personally, I'm old-school....."if it ain't broke, don't fix it"....especially with computers. If you/he eventually comes across a new program that doesn't run properly, it may be time to update a few things. But if it's stable and purring along, I'd leave well enough alone for now.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

BIOS and vbios updates are performed to resolve issues. Anytime you install something to a system, you have the potential of creating issues. Firmware updates have the additional potential of rendering a system unusable if problems occur during installation. If your partner is not experiencing any issues, I would recommend NOT performing these updates.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 02-21-2012 at 08:33 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Member Array

Going to update both Bios' the 213 for the G73JH and v93 for the 5870 video card. The laptop is approaching it's 2 year birthday so if there are any hardware related issues it will be RMA'd. A clean install will be done along with current drivers found thru this forum and minimal ASUS bloatware. Keep you posted!

ROG Member Array

Well all is done and boy does this baby have new life! So far so good.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by tgmlab View Post
    Well all is done and boy does this baby have new life! So far so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by tgmlab View Post
    A clean install will be done along with current drivers found thru this forum and minimal ASUS bloatware. Keep you posted!
    Works every time! I think the clean install probably accounts for about 99.99% of the performance hike you're seeing....nothing like a clean, mean machine! 'Glad it all worked out.

TeamROG Moderator Array ColonelS's Avatar

to add on! Enjoy your newly immortalised G73JH!
    Click ->Republic of Gamers<- official Facebook page

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

is it working fine? then, forget the bios update! i agree with brody, if it ain't broken it doesn't need fixing!