cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build, getting Ram to 3200 on 2950x setup

Spacemanspiff01
Level 7
hey guys!

I upgraded my machine from an old Z68 and 2600K build to my first AMD build with a 2950x

I have a ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha board with 8x8 (64gb) of Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB ram, its rated for 3200. In the bios everything is at stock and ram is showing 2133mhz speed. Some have said to get to 3200 I need to enable DOCP. I enable that and it loads the profile however it wont post. I'm pretty new to all these new features, but do I have to adjust the voltage or enable anything else?
9 REPLIES 9

Retired
Not applicable
Hey,
Which motherboard are you using? Zenith Extreme or Alpha? Yes, enabling the D.O.C.P should work just fine while everything on Auto. However, it really depends on your processor. I believe you should be able run on that speed. Make sure to update the BIOS to 1601 first, if using Zenith Extreme. This should be the BIOS where you can just overclock the ram without pressing on the processor.

AS185 wrote:
Hey,
Which motherboard are you using? Zenith Extreme or Alpha? Yes, enabling the D.O.C.P should work just fine while everything on Auto. However, it really depends on your processor. I believe you should be able run on that speed. Make sure to update the BIOS to 1601 first, if using Zenith Extreme. This should be the BIOS where you can just overclock the ram without pressing on the processor.

so it’s this board that is called the extreme alpha,*

I’ll look at the bios version and update it if it’s not already. It has a bios USB port which you just dedicate a thumb drive with the version from this site to update it is that right?*

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
BIOS 0405 is the latest for ZEA (Latest for ZA is 1701)

3200 for 8x8 can be tricky for some processors and RAM combinations on this platform.

What is the exact RAM part number? Is it a single quad channel kit?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
BIOS 0405 is the latest for ZEA (Latest for ZA is 1701)

3200 for 8x8 can be tricky for some processors and RAM combinations on this platform.

What is the exact RAM part number? Is it a single quad channel kit?

*This is the kit I got off of Newegg; CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model CMT64GX4M8C3200C16

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK so it's a single kit which helps...it's not on the QVL but there is a similar kit that is...might be a question of tweaking...

Try to raise DRAM voltage a bit Try 1.375 or 1.4v and set SOC voltage to 1.1 or 1.2 or 1.25V...see if that helps

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
OK so it's a single kit which helps...it's not on the QVL but there is a similar kit that is...might be a question of tweaking...

Try to raise DRAM voltage a bit Try 1.375 or 1.4v and set SOC voltage to 1.1 or 1.2 or 1.25V...see if that helps

ok, so I was on BIOS version ~0205 so i updated that to the latest and then enabled DOCP but set the frequency down to 3000 and the DRAM voltage to 1.4. then i upped the SOC (CPU SOC right?) voltage to 1.1 and eveything has booted up properly. Now i'll go and adjust the mem-frequency to 3200 and make small adjustments from there.

My CPU temp of course has about a 5c~ increase for a ~40c idle temp. I have an Corsair H115i hooked up, HWMonitor and real temp are showing 40c but I need to add about 27c to that temp for the offset is that correct?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Spacemanspiff01 wrote:
SOC (CPU SOC right?)

Yes, correct.

HWiNFO64 is the only monitoring software I would recommend for this platform.

Though, all software should have the offset already applied so, no, no need to add the 27...your idle temp is high (should not be affected 5 degrees by setting up your RAM either)

Are you OCing the CPU? Temps should be 3 or 4 or 5 degrees above ambient if AIO cooler is working OK

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yes, correct.

HWiNFO64 is the only monitoring software I would recommend for this platform.

Though, all software should have the offset already applied so, no, no need to add the 27...your idle temp is high (should not be affected 5 degrees by setting up your RAM either)

Are you OCing the CPU? Temps should be 3 or 4 or 5 degrees above ambient if AIO cooler is working OK

Right now the idle temp is around ~35c, I show that every core is hitting 4.4ghz but I found it kept the overclock I had before I thought I reset the bios. As far as not needing to add the 27 that makes my feel better, I was super paranoid using handbreak because I was hitting 69c and adding 27 on my own.

edit: Ram temps are also ~42c right now which from what i've been reading is good?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well, it will depend on the ambient temp inside your case I guess...

I have an open test bench so temps are bound to be better....24 room temp and RAM is 3-5 degrees higher CPU at idle...2 degrees higher

But all core OC will see idle temp higher