cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OCCT Fails on 4.8ghz overclock

Cheesy86
Level 7
Hello my awesome knowledge pool. Quick question, currently running my 8700k on my Asus prime 370-a board, latest bios update, at 4.8ghz with 1.3v. Ran Realbench for 30 mins, no crashes, prime95 1 hr, no crashes and aida64 no crashes. But when I run OCCT it crashes, no bsod, after 10 mins. Anyone experience this issue before? Thought I was stable until OCCT crushed my dreams.
4 REPLIES 4

jab383
Level 13
OCCT is an actual test. Your results say that OCCT gives a better test in 10 min than Realbench, Aida64 and Prime95 do over hours of hot CPU stress.

Realbench can serve as a test at the real-world application level if that's the level of stability you need. Many need more. OCCT is a better test for more critical levels of stability. Aida 64 is a good source of information and as a realtime monitor, but useless as a stability test. Prime95 is plenty stressful, but doesn't check the answers to catch errors in its calculations. That's OCCT's advantage - it checks the math.

The only test I think is better than OCCT is y-Cruncher. It runs just as hot as Prime95 or OCCT, but will catch errors or pass the test in about 1 minute with a 6-core CPU - and those include memory errors.

Hey Jab,

Thanks for the reply. I am CG ARtist so I run Maya, Vray, Zbrush, Adobe suite, Mari, etc for work. I will be doing additional tweaking this weekend and see what comes of it. I dont want to push my system above 1.32V for 4.8ghz when others can be "stable" at 1.29 v. Unnecessary heat for 10% increase in rendering is not worth it. Just started getting into OC and its very rewarding and fun but not to burn your system. Are you OC and can you pass OCCT? Whats your stability guidelines, if any, that you follow?

jab383
Level 13
Those professional apps need better stability than Realbench, so do at least OCCT. I had this 24/7 system stable in Realbench, but it would lock up at a critical point in Adobe CS workflow. The 4790K 24/7 rig is only slightly overclocked - 4.6GHz. I use y-cruncher for stability test. The criterion is a complete run with no errors of the 1billionth digit of PI. That takes around 1.5 minutes on a 4-core.

I do OC as a serious hobby. See the link in my sig. For that level of OC, the criterion is that the benchmark of the moment run to completion.

Hey Jab,

Just an update man. Now I'm really confused. I just finished running some tests at 4.7 ghz and vcore at 1.28 and it passed Realbench, cinebench and OCCT. Dont u understand why I cant hit 4.8 ghz at 1.32 v without OCCT failing at the 10 minute mark. I followed de8bauers video and Wills video, listed here, for assistance and ran similar settings to them and OCCt is the only one that keeps failing. Frustrated now. Any ideas breh?
https://youtu.be/pbRauc8gpQM