Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gio95

Rampage V USB/Boot Random Issue

Hi guys,
    I have some random problem with my motherboard. First of all, let me tell you that I have searched in the forum about those issues and haven’t found a good answer. So I decided to create this thread.
    My configuration is this:
    • I7 5930k (no overclocked right now)
    • Corsair H110i GTX
    • Rampage v (with 3.1 card not plugged in)
    • 1x gtx 980 strix
    • Samsung pro 950 M.2
    • Corsair HX1000 power supply
    • G.Skill 16 gb ripjaws V
    • WD blue 320 GB
    • Cosmos 2

The issues are:
    • The asmedia usb ports, sometime don’t work. I started noticing this with my keyboard. I used those ports with the keyboard (corsair k70). I thought that the problem was that this 2 ports are not made for using a keyboard on them, so I decided to switch the keyboard on other 2 ports. Then I decided to plug in a USB drive (my passport ultra 2 TB). Everything worked fine, until today, when my passport ultra was not recognized by windows 10. I tried to unplug and plug again, but didn’t work. I noticed by the way, that the ports are active because the hard disk started up.
    I did some research in the manual but I am not using any other slots, so those 2 ports should be fine. Is it a known issue or are those 2 ports broken?
    • The other problem happened 4-5 days ago. The motherboard wouldn’t post. Firs I got 61 on the code display. The I unplugged all the usb devices and got code 79. As I saw on the manual, those code are not errors. The motherboard couldn’t initialize the nvram or the csm. Then I found a post where a user said to unplug the display port of the graphic card. I have an hdmi cable, but I tried and the motherboard posted with no problems. Again I am asking: is it a known issue or is my motherboard broken?
    • Last but not last, when I put my pc into sleep mode, it does, but after 3-4 seconds it wakes up. It doesn’t restart, it just wakes up like I pressed a keyboard button. I think that I should check some bios settings, but haven’t found which.
    I have assembled this pc 2 weeks ago and at the moment, those are the main problems I had with this motherboard. Bios is 1801 (the last one). All power cables are plugged in (also the EZ plug). I cleared the cmos using the bios voice and just did some adjustment (VT enabled and other things).
    The usb and the hdmi problems are not high priority problems because they come out randomly and with a reboot they disappear. The system work great. When I play or when I benchmark, the PC is stable and I get results aligned with my configuration.
    I hope someone can help me.

Sorry for the long post and for my bad English

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Update the motherboard BIOS to the latest revision. Then test with RAM at stock defaults to see if the wake up issue persists.

Gio95
    My bios is the last one (1801) with no xmp profile (ram at stock 2133 mh), though my ripjaws 5 can go at 3000 MH.

ROG Enthusiast Array csbin PC Specs
    csbin PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Rampage VI APEX
    ProcessorIntel Core i9-7980XE
    Memory (part number)G Skill F4-2400C14Q-16GRK
    Graphics Card #1AMD Radeon R9 290X
    Sound CardASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorDell U2515H
    Storage #1Intel DC S3500 120G
    Storage #2HGST HUS724020ALA640
    CPU CoolerCoolerMaster Nepton 120XL
    CaseCoolerMaster HAF XM
    Power SupplyAntec HCP-1300 PLATINUM
    OS Microsoft Windows 10 Professional

Gio95
    The problem is that the driver are installed and the usb ports work 2 times yes and 1 time no. For example right now they don't work.
    I read the thread you have posted, but i thought my problem was different. My ports don't work only sometimes, not every time I switch on my pc. I will give it a try resetting the cmos, though i have resetted the bios from using the voice in the bios menu AFTER the 1801 flash..

EDIT: I rebooted my pc and now the usb ports work again ( I can see them on Aida and on the device manager of windows). I don't think my controller is broken but this thing is completely random.

EDIT 2: Just tested the sleep mode: when I send my pc into sleep mode, it stays 3-4 seconds into it and then it restart (as i said, it restarts skipping the post just like a normal wake up after sleep mode). If i don't log into windows and send again my pc to sleep, it sleeps and doesn't restart. It's strange

EDIT3: Tonight my system got stucked again with the boot issue. First error 61, then 76 with the 4th led of the pcie blinking, then 79, then the motherboard did the beep and "dd" appeared on the qcode. After 3-4 times disconnecting my hdmi cable i managed to start it.
    Last edited by Gio95; 01-11-2016 at 01:49 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array nokturnalb6six6 PC Specs
    nokturnalb6six6 PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus XI formula
    ProcessorIntel 8700k
    Memory (part number)gskill trident z rgb 3200mhz
    Graphics Card #1Titan x pascal/EK waterblock
    MonitorAcer Xb271hu
    Storage #1Samsung 850 pro 512gb
    Storage #2Samsung 850 pro 512gb
    CPU CoolerEK supremacy anniversary edition
    CaseCorsair 780t
    Power SupplyEvga supernova 1200w
    Keyboard Cherry mx 6.0 board
    Mouse steel series rival 600
    Headset Logitech Artemis Spectrum g933
    Mouse Pad Razer firefly
    Headset/Speakers Harmon kardon soundsticks
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk X6

Im having the same exact issues. hopefully someone can shed some light on it

ROG Member Array

This was happening to me.
    I have almost the same setup as you.
    I did 2 things.

1. i turned of xmp profile for ram. I was getting stuck in post intermittently and getting laggy screens after boot up.
    Using xmp profile i lost half the ram, so I'm guessing it was a wonky voltage issue. Was oblivious to the ram issue until i looked at
    system resources and saw only 8gb ram available.

2. Put external hard drives, and joystick and throttle, on a powered usb 3 hub i had from a previous build.
    Actually had a 1tb drive i thought was dead till i plugged it in the powered hub and it came right up.

I turn it off on reboots. Haven't had any issues since.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array drop4205 PC Specs
    drop4205 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)What are laptops
    MotherboardMaximus XI Formula
    ProcessorI9-9900K
    Memory (part number)Gskill Trident Z F4-3200C14-32GYZR
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia Reference RTX2080TI
    Graphics Card #2ha I wish
    Graphics Card #3ha I wish
    Graphics Card #4ha I wish
    Sound Cardha I wish
    MonitorAsus VN247H-P 23.6"
    Storage #1Samsung970 EVO Plus 1T
    CPU CoolerHeatkiller
    CasePhantex Evolove X
    Power SupplySessonic Prime Titanium 850
    Keyboard ROG Strix Flare
    Mouse ROG Gladius II
    Headset Astro A40
    Mouse Pad Corsair
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
    Accessory #1 Ek GPU Block
    Accessory #2 EK SE 360 Rad, EK PE 360 Rad
    Accessory #3 EK D5 Vario 140 Pump/Res

Best thing to do is manually put dram frequency, timings and voltages in. I disabled cms on my motherboard. I had a sleep issue where the motherboard would wake up but it wake on LAN setting on Intel Ethernet. Do you know hat is causing the wake up?
    Go to CMD and type powercfg -lastwake to see what woke it up
    Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, ROG Strix Flare keyboard, ROG Gladius II

ROG Enthusiast Array nokturnalb6six6 PC Specs
    nokturnalb6six6 PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus XI formula
    ProcessorIntel 8700k
    Memory (part number)gskill trident z rgb 3200mhz
    Graphics Card #1Titan x pascal/EK waterblock
    MonitorAcer Xb271hu
    Storage #1Samsung 850 pro 512gb
    Storage #2Samsung 850 pro 512gb
    CPU CoolerEK supremacy anniversary edition
    CaseCorsair 780t
    Power SupplyEvga supernova 1200w
    Keyboard Cherry mx 6.0 board
    Mouse steel series rival 600
    Headset Logitech Artemis Spectrum g933
    Mouse Pad Razer firefly
    Headset/Speakers Harmon kardon soundsticks
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk X6

anybody ever get qcode 79 and know to fix it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast