cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having problems increasing clock ratio as voltage increases with clock

Adrian1976
Level 10
Set up a new system Comprising of a 9700k and Maximus XI Hero, everything is running fine and it seems i have a good chip for which when i rasise the multiplier to all cores at anything above 4.8 ghz ie 4.9 or ghz vid and vcore are increasing by some margin too, 1.34-1.36, this chip will do 5ghz on all cores at around 1.25-1.3 but auto voltage for clock ratio is not allowing me to lower the voltage at middle values, 800mhz voltage is fine at around 0.6-0.8 and load volts droop is also fine the normal middle scenario is boosting sometime 1.36 through the vid and core voltage, i've tried all manner of settings and nothing will drop this automatic voltage to clock ratio problem with anything over 4.8 ghz?
3 REPLIES 3

Adrian1976
Level 10
Bump, no one knows how to stop the vcore auto increasing when raising clock ratios?

Falkentyne
Level 12
You can't. VID is hardwired into the CPU. You override VID by using manual voltage. Period.

If you don't want to use manual voltage, then all you can do is limit how much the "VID" is boosted by the AC loadline mOhms value (default: 1.60 mOhms) at full load. You can do this by setting IA AC loadline to 0.01 mOhms, which will keep the CPU VID at base defaults. But your CPU may wind up being unstable there, as this VID is based on there not being a load on the CPU otherwise. You can mess with "SVID Behavior" setting, and combine that with setting a manual AC Loadline value (example 1.0 mOhms or 0.04 mOhms). Someone said that setting SVID Behavior to "best case" forces AC loadline to 0.01. I don't know if that' the case as I do not have an Asus board. Gigabyte has something called "SVID Offset", which boosts the *load* VID up by a certain amount, in -addition- to AC loadline, which is best used only on poor CPU samples.

For your case, you can try keeping SVID offset on auto (mess around with "best case" first, then try manually changing the AC loadline and then check in HWInfo64 in windows to see if the AC loadline value changed, and if the load voltage changes or not). If SVID offset=best case forces AC loadline to 0.01 mOhms regardless of what you set it to directly, then set it to auto and mess around with setting a lower AC loadline value, and using a voltage offset to compensate. Do not use a Loadline Calibration (LLC) value higher than "level 3" if AC Loadline is higher than 0.4 mOhms as this will cause extreme overvolting.

Try settings like LLC3 + AC Loadline=0.4 mOhms, or LLC5 + AC Loadline 0.01 mOhms. NEVER go higher than 1.6 mOhms.

The DC loadline value is not important (it will affect the droop on the VID and thus change the CPU Package Power (which will then be inaccurate if the true load voltage differs a lot from the CPU VID), but after the VID (before droop) is sent to the VRM as a voltage, so the DC Loadline is not important).

Adrian1976
Level 10
Thanks for your reply, so i guess not as easy as my old 6700k setup which i had a negative offset programmed and worked great at 4.7 for 2 1/2 years and still is, 4.8 is ok but when pushing 4.9ghz the startup v core is 1.323 compared to 1.27 at 4.8 and i know this chip can do 4.9 at less than all this automated crap whats happening with modern cpus, one thing i can't live with and that is manual voltage, i'd rather keep all cores at 4.8 than intel telling me what it thinks it should do, thanks for the advise.