cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just want a critique for my first build

bwskillz
Level 7
As my title says, just want some feedback on my upcomming first build, coming spring break! 😄
Its guna be for gaming and just normal use. budget: ~$1400 and depending on how far prices drop (if they do) or if I feel like dishing out more $$ I might get the GTX 560 Ti instead of current card that I am looking at.
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?Source=MSWD&WishListNumber=15760771
With combo-ing its comming just under $1400. I will also be getting some custom wire sleeving (Black/Red) too. Will also be getting some either leds or cathodes later. And in the future might try a custom water loop.
So just let me know what you think,
BWSKILLZ
14 REPLIES 14

Isaccard
Level 7
You'll either want to swap out that case or the Extreme-Z as they aren't compatible with each other. As in, the Extreme-Z is an Extended mobo (larger than the standard) and the case you have there only fits Mirco ATX and ATX (standard).

If you wanna keep your case, but still want a ROG board (of course you do!) then you want the Maximus IV GENE-Z/Gen 3. This is a mATX board and will fit perfectly in the case you selected. Also it's much cheaper than the Extreme. (:

With that extra money you could put it into getting a better video card, maybe.

PSU is fine, but you could get a TX750 (non modular) for a little less money, freeing up more money for a better GPU.

Everything else looks fine.

Isaccard wrote:
You'll either want to swap out that case or the Extreme-Z as they aren't compatible with each other. As in, the Extreme-Z is an Extended mobo (larger than the standard) and the case you have there only fits Mirco ATX and ATX (standard).

If you wanna keep your case, but still want a ROG board (of course you do!) then you want the Maximus IV GENE-Z/Gen 3. This is a mATX board and will fit perfectly in the case you selected. Also it's much cheaper than the Extreme. (:

With that extra money you could put it into getting a better video card, maybe.

PSU is fine, but you could get a TX750 (non modular) for a little less money, freeing up more money for a better GPU.

Everything else looks fine.

Review from Obsidian 650D:

Worth every penny!

Pros: From the look to the features. This Case has it all. Very well made & the cable management is second to none. Easy to build in & has enough room for any video card on the market today. It also will fit an E-ATX board (Maximus IV Extreme-Z) The fan controller actually is very handy & @ first I was like, why put it in there. I use it all the time now! Lots of room on the backside for cables, it's also very sturdy & side panels were made with thought. Case is bigger than most Mid-Towers

Cons: No USB Header

Don't worry already did my research 😉 (someone also said it just covers some grommets but no biggie)
Thanks for the quick reply, but for the graphics card: my parents are mostly buying this as a gift and cuz I'm guna be home alone spring break (gf gone too :/) so then I will have something to keep me occupado,,, (now that I told you a small story of my life 😛 ) So it is up to them, they said ~$1400 but they might go over considering my dad works with computers,,, so he knows why its so much for my "madness",, 😛

And I chose the modular series on purpose for cable management,,, I,ve worked with setups with cables everywhere or all bundled to block airflow,,,,,

ya i agree you should at least get a 500 series card so maybe you can sli in the future,

trailer park boy wrote:
ya i agree you should at least get a 500 series card so maybe you can sli in the future,

Hoping to,, and I was probly guna sli later on but not right away,,,
Thanks for the reply!

and,,, lets just say this a huge upgrade from my old IDE,,, 40GB,,, Dell,, 2.8 Ghz,,, like 8 year old PC that I got from my grandma,, -.-

Isaccard
Level 7
In that case I'd recommend trying to spring for that 560Ti, as you'll be much happier in gaming with it. Post pics of the finished product!

chrsplmr
Level 18
For my two cents .. i would dump the expensive case and ssd (just for now) and put the Xtra $$$ in a Gpu...
killer board... build is around that .. not the case ..

Welcome to ROG..Best of Luck..dont be bashful... c.

chrsplmr wrote:
For my two cents .. i would dump the expensive case and ssd (just for now) and put the Xtra $$$ in a Gpu...
killer board... build is around that .. not the case ..

Welcome to ROG..Best of Luck..dont be bashful... c.

So what would you reccommend?
Idk bout case (like which one to get),,, but would you reccomend z68 chipset, or,,, gear up for ivy bridge, bite the bullet and go with 2011 board,, get a cheaper gpu just enough to play modern games at decent settings,,, and then build around that? 3930Ks looking quite low on stock tho,,, and worth a pretty penny,,,
Open to any suggestions to,, and im liking them to thanks everyone,, BWSKILLZ
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: yup 2011 is quite expensive 😛

are you going to use a 600 dollar cpu or only half of it????????????