cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZombieLoad Microcode BIOS?

btrach144
Level 7
When is ASUS coming out with bios that contain the latest cpu microcode revisions that help patch against ZombieLoad? Lenovo just released their updated bios files 3 days ago.
5 REPLIES 5

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
the code has start to be deploy in a MEUpdate. Z390 start last week and soon will be available. One think i am worry is the MEI driver.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

You're confusing the vulnerability related to management engine firmware with the other latest ones requiring a microcode update. Microcode does not come in ME firmware. Yes, microcode and ME firmware (two separate things) are generally included in bios revisions. However, if you don't get current bios support for whatever reason,. You can obtain the latest microcode via Windows update. The catch with the latest revisions is that MIcrosoft has only made that update available to the preview ring on the may feature update, 1903. Most of us are on 1809 and as of my last check yesterday, they're withholding updating that version. Probably to get more people to upgrade versions quicker when the feature update rolls out soon. It is a manual update that you have to download and install, it does not.come automatically. Technically if you apply all the ME Firmware, the MEI driver, and the microcode yourself, you don't need to rely on bios support, although that is optimal I suppose.

This is the 1903 update you can get the microcode in
https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/132689-kb4497165-intel-microcode-updates-windows-10-inside...

But If you're on 1809 like most of us, it would be this one which is not get updated with the current microcode (Ms updates it, but keeps the update number the same
https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/122479-kb4465065-intel-microcode-updates-windows-10-v1809-...

Guitarmageddon888 wrote:
You're confusing the vulnerability related to management engine firmware with the other latest ones requiring a microcode update. Microcode does not come in ME firmware. Yes, microcode and ME firmware (two separate things) are generally included in bios revisions. However, if you don't get current bios support for whatever reason,. You can obtain the latest microcode via Windows update. The catch with the latest revisions is that MIcrosoft has only made that update available to the preview ring on the may feature update, 1903. Most of us are on 1809 and as of my last check yesterday, they're withholding updating that version. Probably to get more people to upgrade versions quicker when the feature update rolls out soon. It is a manual update that you have to download and install, it does not.come automatically. Technically if you apply all the ME Firmware, the MEI driver, and the microcode yourself, you don't need to rely on bios support, although that is optimal I suppose.

This is the 1903 update you can get the microcode in
https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/132689-kb4497165-intel-microcode-updates-windows-10-inside...

But If you're on 1809 like most of us, it would be this one which is not get updated with the current microcode (Ms updates it, but keeps the update number the same
https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/122479-kb4465065-intel-microcode-updates-windows-10-v1809-...

In these case is 3 way. bios update by MEIupdate, driver MEI and windows. And programs will be update to close the cycle. making the windows is not enoght. most cases until the bios (MEI) bios drivers are in windows, on worst case scenario will not push the update. Yes we have options. there is post that give us drivers only. but i spend 90 days working on brand new z390 9900k brick cause that. Asus should push also oficial board model drivers with these. since drivers a lag behind. that is my point. not all are savys on the manner.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Again, Management Engine FIRMWARE comes via a bios update (or a manual flash via the tool in Windows). Management engine interface DRIVERS are downloaded in Windows, not flashed with the bios. ME firmware and MEI drivers are not interchangeable terms. For all the troubles with your motherboard I'm surprised you didn't RMA that thing months ago, I would have

Guitarmageddon888 wrote:
Again, Management Engine FIRMWARE comes via a bios update (or a manual flash via the tool in Windows). Management engine interface DRIVERS are downloaded in Windows, not flashed with the bios. ME firmware and MEI drivers are not interchangeable terms. For all the troubles with your motherboard I'm surprised you didn't RMA that thing months ago, I would have

well i stll running mei drivers and chipset from FEB / march no automatic updates are made. I want to use the board features that I PAY FOR. not a 90 usd board.

i did fix the issue and report that with my findings.

As soon the new windows are here i will make a clean installs and use 90 usd drivers or less on a 400 usd board.
Learn, Play Enjoy!